Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beyondthemeans
    • Sep 2008

Hi maybe this is very country specific, but I get charged ridiculous amounts on low value packages from overseas shipped with Fedex.
    They told me they charge taxes over the value of the package plus shipping, which doesn't make any sense to me (package was marked at 25, shipping was 35).
    I basically have to pay more taxes over packages shipped with Fedex than the item was worth.

Anything I can do? They told me I could try emailing their customer service, but they doubt that I can change anything. They told me they actually pay this fund in advance to customs and then charge it back to the customer.

Comment

• nyarkies
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by savant View Post
      "This error may have occurred because either of you may have spending limitations based on recent purchases, currency limitations based on location, an open PayPal dispute, or account access limitations based on if your email and address credentials are verified. I recommend to try paying with a credit/debit card via the guest checkout without logging into PayPal. If the issue persists, contact PayPal via their customer service number for your country and have the other user do the same. Let me know how it works out."

Same automatic response they gave me. When I sent the payment directly through PP, it went through without any issues.

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by beyondthemeans View Post
        Hi maybe this is very country specific, but I get charged ridiculous amounts on low value packages from overseas shipped with Fedex.
        They told me they charge taxes over the value of the package plus shipping, which doesn't make any sense to me (package was marked at 25, shipping was 35).
        I basically have to pay more taxes over packages shipped with Fedex than the item was worth.

Anything I can do? They told me I could try emailing their customer service, but they doubt that I can change anything. They told me they actually pay this fund in advance to customs and then charge it back to the customer.
        this is the case in some countries, taxes are charged on value including shipping costs, as ridicilous as it sounds. Additionally, couriers charge a percentage + minimum service fee for processing it through customs which makes it expensive.

What you might be able to do is ask to declare it yourself, at least in my country they are obliged to allow this possibility if the recipient asks. Then you need certain information from them, and depending on where you are located, you may be able to do it online or need to go to a customs office etc. This will only get rid of the service fees Fedex charges. And if the place you purchased from uses some special customs service through which the taxes are paid in advance, it might be difficult.

The only real work around is using an different shipping method and/or have the value marked even lower. if thats not possible, then use a proxy and have someone receive it for you in the country of origin and then use regular mail to send it to you with a low enough value for you to not get charged.
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• bukka
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
          this is the case in some countries, taxes are charged on value including shipping costs, as ridicilous as it sounds. Additionally, couriers charge a percentage + minimum service fee for processing it through customs which makes it expensive.

What you might be able to do is ask to declare it yourself, at least in my country they are obliged to allow this possibility if the recipient asks. Then you need certain information from them, and depending on where you are located, you may be able to do it online or need to go to a customs office etc. This will only get rid of the service fees Fedex charges. And if the place you purchased from uses some special customs service through which the taxes are paid in advance, it might be difficult.

The only real work around is using an different shipping method and/or have the value marked even lower. if thats not possible, then use a proxy and have someone receive it for you in the country of origin and then use regular mail to send it to you with a low enough value for you to not get charged.

That's the case for Switzerland
          Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• newp
            • Feb 2013

And for Cyprus as well.
            Add the fact everything outside EU over 17.99 euro is taxable, an additional charge of 3.5 euro is added for their kind service and they require your own presence during work hours (which is your work hours as well) each time you receive anything from outside EU no matter what the invoice price is.

Comment

• ddohnggo
              • Oct 2006

searched the thread, but didn't read anything specific to seller side disputes. sold something recently, the person received it, and now is saying that it's not what they thought it was even though the person agreed that i didn't misled them and also read the "all sales final" note in the sale thread. i disagree with this.

my question is whether it's worth going through a dispute as a seller? i feel like i have a compelling case, yet everything i read about paypal disputes is regarding how they always side with the buyer. is it worth the time and potentially the hassle of having my paypal account frozen or is it easier to just accept a return?
              Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• t3hg0suazn
                • Jan 2013

You should call PayPal. I've had good experience doing so as the seller (credit card chargeback case).

Comment

• newp
                  • Feb 2013

ddohnggo, you're great person and a great seller with nice and informative descriptions. I am sorry it happened with you, it's really a shame.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                    • Oct 2006

thanks for the kind words. i think i should clarify, the situation isn't a chargeback, but an ongoing discussion on whether i should accept a return of the item and i refund the person. i personally think that i am in the right, and i don't think the buyer is a bad person at all, just a disagreement.
                    Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• GucciAmen
                      • Sep 2014

So I'm in a bit of an odd situation... Bought a BBS Tejana for the seller's requested price (offer) on Grailed, and I haven't heard back from him whatsoever since purchase, which was over two days ago (have contacted him over Grailed and over his email). Usually sellers are on their game, especially when they receive over a grand for a piece.. He hasn't bought or sold anything else on the site yet. Has anyone ever had an experience like this that turned out to be a scam attempt?? Thanks

Comment

• timm3h
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
                        So I'm in a bit of an odd situation... Bought a BBS Tejana for the seller's requested price (offer) on Grailed, and I haven't heard back from him whatsoever since purchase, which was over two days ago (have contacted him over Grailed and over his email). Usually sellers are on their game, especially when they receive over a grand for a piece.. He hasn't bought or sold anything else on the site yet. Has anyone ever had an experience like this that turned out to be a scam attempt?? Thanks
                        Fortunately this is probably the most clear cut situation where buyer protection would save you. If he vanishes, you'll win the dispute.
                        Clothing deconstruction & review

Comment

• GucciAmen
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by timm3h View Post
                          Fortunately this is probably the most clear cut situation where buyer protection would save you. If he vanishes, you'll win the dispute.
                          Thanks! That's what I figured... I can't imagine why anyone would attempt scamming over a legit paypal dead with buyer protection (guy must have not done his homework). Gave him a warning so we'll see where it goes by tomorrow!

Comment

• ahn
                            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by ddohnggo View Post
                            searched the thread, but didn't read anything specific to seller side disputes. sold something recently, the person received it, and now is saying that it's not what they thought it was even though the person agreed that i didn't misled them and also read the "all sales final" note in the sale thread. i disagree with this.

my question is whether it's worth going through a dispute as a seller? i feel like i have a compelling case, yet everything i read about paypal disputes is regarding how they always side with the buyer. is it worth the time and potentially the hassle of having my paypal account frozen or is it easier to just accept a return?
                            I've been through a dispute as a seller (eBay sale) but the buyer initiated the dispute. They said they never received the goods but I had tracking which confirmed delivery so they were scamming I guess... anyway Paypal sided with me. So it does happen.
                            some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• Kuat
                              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by ahn View Post
                              I've been through a dispute as a seller (eBay sale) but the buyer initiated the dispute. They said they never received the goods but I had tracking which confirmed delivery so they were scamming I guess... anyway Paypal sided with me. So it does happen.
                              One time I opened a claim of not receiving an item (actually receiving the empty box), and PayPay asked me to file a Police report and send them the scanned papers from the police.

So they protect the sellers pretty good too.
                              Last edited by Kuat; 06-05-2016, 12:03 AM.

Comment

• Kuat
                                • Nov 2012

Originally posted by ddohnggo View Post

Always open a dispute, you have nothing to lose anyway. They don't freeze your account based on disputes.

Point out in the paypal notes that the item was described in detail and add some screenshots of the auction or private communication.

It doesn't matter if the sale is final or not, the buyer agreed to the sale description of the item. Worst case scenario is they send it back to you with the shipping paid for.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎