X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeN
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by copacetic View Post
    the idea that weddings are about the bride (and groom) only, and that it is "her (their) special day" and all eyes should be on her (them) is a myth created by repulsive baby boomers for repulsive baby boomers to justify the displays of consumption common at their weddings, which, let's face it, are attempts by the bride and her barren mother at recreating the weddings they see in movies and magazines, which are in turn pale imitations of royal weddings in europe and the traditions that surround them. it's petit bourgeois specimens trying to claw their way up from vulgar middle class life, hoping that tuile and pink roses and personalized stationery will do the trick. both the bride from new jersey and the princess from wales can go fuck themselves.

weddings are about the guests. a wedding is not a wedding if friends and family don't show up. a wedding is merely a confirmation in the eyes of those close to us that the love is true and lasting and of importance to everyone. that's been the case with similar social bonding ceremonies throughout anthropological history.

that uncanny feeling that brides and grooms get when everybody is looking at them take their vows? that hyper-self-aware quasi-out-of-body feeling? that's a sign that their feelings don't really matter at the moment. they are on display for others, because weddings are about the guests. similarly, the theater is not for and about actors: the theater is oriented toward the audience.

so: wear a drop-crotch suit to a wedding. brides who think that the focus should be on them alone have a long life of bourgeois striving ahead of themselves and are better left alone in their moment of glory, which will soon give way to crippling personal dissatisfaction.
    I love this.

Comment

• kunk75
      Banned
      • May 2008

if a bride is so jacked up she is upstaged by a bearded man in $1000 dollar shorts I feel bad for the groom, not her.

Comment

• gavagai
        • May 2010

I believe there is a thread titled "strangers reactions to your clothes"
        - most of this commentary should go there.

It usually goes without saying you should have some idea of the audience at a wedding you are attending.

The outfit in question looks great. Edgy, but no doubt he is dressed up for a special occasion. Obviously cropped pants/shorts require a more liberal interpretation of dress code but it isn't like he turned up in Paul Harnden looking like Charlie Chaplin...

I've been to too many weddings and there is simply no shortage of people wearing all manner of shit suits that are out of date, poorly produced and quite simply DO NOT FIT. Now THAT is depressing and rude.

Comment

• MikeN
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
          IObviously cropped pants/shorts require a more liberal interpretation of dress code but it isn't like he turned up in Paul Harnden looking like Charlie Chaplin...
          careful...

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by copacetic View Post
            the idea that weddings are about the bride (and groom) only, and that it is "her (their) special day" and all eyes should be on her (them) is a myth created by repulsive baby boomers for repulsive baby boomers to justify the displays of consumption common at their weddings, which, let's face it, are attempts by the bride and her barren mother at recreating the weddings they see in movies and magazines, which are in turn pale imitations of royal weddings in europe and the traditions that surround them. it's petit bourgeois specimens trying to claw their way up from vulgar middle class life, hoping that tuile and pink roses and personalized stationery will do the trick. both the bride from new jersey and the princess from wales can go fuck themselves.

weddings are about the guests. a wedding is not a wedding if friends and family don't show up. a wedding is merely a confirmation in the eyes of those close to us that the love is true and lasting and of importance to everyone. that's been the case with similar social bonding ceremonies throughout anthropological history.

that uncanny feeling that brides and grooms get when everybody is looking at them take their vows? that hyper-self-aware quasi-out-of-body feeling? that's a sign that their feelings don't really matter at the moment. they are on display for others, because weddings are about the guests. similarly, the theater is not for and about actors: the theater is oriented toward the audience.

so: wear a drop-crotch suit to a wedding. brides who think that the focus should be on them alone have a long life of bourgeois striving ahead of themselves and are better left alone in their moment of glory, which will soon give way to crippling personal dissatisfaction.
            Nobody gives a fuck what you think weddings are about unless its your own, be fucking gracious and ask the couple what they expect. If they want traditional you wear traditional, if their traditional is a sari and they want me to wear that I'll wear a sari. If they're like "go wild" I could wear a getup like the one posted. Cultural analysis doesn't mean you now stand outside culture.
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

these days I don't give a damn.
              I wear whatever, whenever to wherever.................if you don't want me like that, then don't invite me.......Im just tired of all of these empty and meaningless social norms.

I went to a friends funeral last Monday and I wore drop Crotch tucked into CCP boots with a white Linen shirt untucked and a Blazer. dare anyone say anything to me................I am there to pay my last respects to a great friend who had lived a full life, and what does it matter what i wear?
              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• kunk75
                Banned
                • May 2008

i wore a drop crotch rick pants and blazer combo to the last wedding and got a lot of nice comments but by that same token, it was a more advanced group of life forms there I guess

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
                  i wore a drop crotch rick pants and blazer combo to the last wedding and got a lot of nice comments but by that same token, it was a more advanced group of life forms there I guess

well maybe

and you should advance you butt over to the new Z- Studios in Brooklyn sometime in September. we will drop your crotch, advance your life and your form

Comment

• Ivans On High
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                    Nobody gives a fuck what you think weddings are about unless its your own, be fucking gracious and ask the couple what they expect. If they want traditional you wear traditional, if their traditional is a sari and they want me to wear that I'll wear a sari. If they're like "go wild" I could wear a getup like the one posted. Cultural analysis doesn't mean you now stand outside culture.
                    I didn't attempt this response as I knew some sane person would do it far more eloquently. And for this I thank you.

Comment

• t-bone
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Ivans On High View Post
                      "Don't forget to come in your pants."

Comment

• shah
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                        if someone asked me to wear an indian woman's outfit to a wedding i'd reconsider the friendship
                        point is still valid though, and even extends beyond attire though we can leave it at that here.

Comment

• Lane
                          • Aug 2010

The rebel in my feels what copacetic and zamb had to say. I mean we have a lot of standards we just have in this world just to possibly not upset anyone.

However, fuuma brings up the most important point since we have to respect someones decisions especially if one is invited. They want to celebrate it in a certain manner, and if they don't want to remember you in designer fashion then so be it its their wedding.

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

well i understand Fumma's position and in a way I agree, for the most part I don't consider myself a rebel, and have no problem with wearing traditional clothing
                            i can be the dandiest of Dandies when i want to,

but there is a growing part of me that feels very pretentious in clothing that bears no real reflection of my life and my worldview. I also find suits increasingly uncomfortable the way they are made, and a necktie a useless piece of crap I can do without

I try to dress in a way that suits me without offending anyone, but there is a part of me that doesn't care anymore, so i just do whatever and let the chips fall where they may..............

Originally posted by Lane View Post
                            The rebel in my feels what copacetic and zamb had to say. I mean we have a lot of standards we just have in this world just to possibly not upset anyone.

However, fuuma brings up the most important point since we have to respect someones decisions especially if one is invited. They want to celebrate it in a certain manner, and if they don't want to remember you in designer fashion then so be it its their wedding.

Comment

• christianef
                              • Feb 2009

doesnt the traditional part last like 15 minutes then everyone gets wasted and your cousins 50 year old step dad tries to finger one of the bride's maids while a bunch of moms pole dance to zombie by the cranberries.

Comment

• humancrack
                                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by christianef View Post
                                doesnt the traditional part last like 15 minutes then everyone gets wasted and your cousins 50 year old step dad tries to finger one of the bride's maids while a bunch of moms pole dance to zombie by the cranberries.
                                +++++1

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎