X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endorphinz
    Banned
    • Jun 2009

for what it's worth.... this guy is a strong proponent.

I tend to agree with some his theories but I can't see stuffin my body with 2k + cal in one sitting like OJ

Comment

• eat me
      • May 2009

Originally posted by 0JSIMPS0N View Post
      <...>

hard to argue this profound logic right here
      okay, I'll expand. Without going into too many details it works like this: when you sleep, your body slows down to preserve energy. When you wake up, in the first hour or so it's important to feed the body, otherwise it'll go into conservation mode, thinking it's not getting any food today, and whatever you'll eat later will be mostly stored as fat, for the future. Which hinders the efficiency of processing the food you eat.

So if you don't eat anything in the morning, eat one huge lunch/dinner - give it time and you'll be unpleasantly surprised with the inner and outer state of your health.

And even if you eat in the morning, the pressure of suddenly having to process 2.2k calories at once right after the body was sleeping is a bit overwhelming, so it will not be processed properly once again. That is why you feel bloated, as you said yourself.

So whenever you eat, if it's once a day - it's just working against yourself and it baffles me why one would do that.

I eat about 5 times a day, when it's possible, I eat smaller portions of nutrient/protein/vitamin rich food, never feel bloated. It's especially important of you work out.

All I'm saying is, I don't think it's a great idea.

Comment

• Patroklus
        Banned
        • Feb 2011

[citation needed]

Comment

• cowsareforeating
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by eat me View Post
          okay, I'll expand. Without going into too many details it works like this: when you sleep, your body slows down to preserve energy. When you wake up, in the first hour or so it's important to feed the body, otherwise it'll go into conservation mode, thinking it's not getting any food today, and whatever you'll eat later will be mostly stored as fat, for the future. Which hinders the efficiency of processing the food you eat.

So if you don't eat anything in the morning, eat one huge lunch/dinner - give it time and you'll be unpleasantly surprised with the inner and outer state of your health.

And even if you eat in the morning, the pressure of suddenly having to process 2.2k calories at once right after the body was sleeping is a bit overwhelming, so it will not be processed properly once again. That is why you feel bloated, as you said yourself.

So whenever you eat, if it's once a day - it's just working against yourself and it baffles me why one would do that.

I eat about 5 times a day, when it's possible, I eat smaller portions of nutrient/protein/vitamin rich food, never feel bloated. It's especially important of you work out.

All I'm saying is, I don't think it's a great idea.

Appreciate the response -- I can't tell if you're saying that you're ultimately slowing down your net metabolic rate?

If you are, that's untrue. [I can find a medical citation if needed] The many small meals a day doesn't up your net metabolic rate/day -- it may help you make healthier meal choices, or avoid binging, but as far as the "You eat, metabolism goes up" logic goes, your body recalibrates its metabolism based on amount of food you eat and your recent eating habits as well.

The worry I have with the "Spartan" or "300" diet as they call it, is that assuming you're hitting all your macros, the shock load that all that puts on your liver/kidneys for processing. Can't imagine efficient absorption of nutrients without insane amounts of water, but thats a different story than metabolism methinks

Comment

• eat me
            • May 2009

^ it's less to do with the rate of metabolism, more with efficiency. Eating smaller portions of food more times a day gives your body the opportunity to extract every last bit of nutrition available, as well as not being as hard on your insides as having one huge-ass feast a day (as you rightly pointed out).

Also, calories hardly matter, to be honest, in the general body health/look terms. You can consume a large pizza in one go, there's your 2k calories, but it's hardly a good choice for your body.

Comment

• eleven crows
              • Mar 2011

Misinformation overload. Mayo Clinic - look it up - research disputes all this eating small meals, eating before bed, et al, as nonsense. It's a simple system of energy in through food and drink, and energy expended. You don't hit the nos on your metabolism with a thousand tiny meals or one big one.

Comment

• 0JSIMPS0N
                Banned
                • Jun 2011

calories are the end all be all.

1g of protein will always be 1g of protein
                1g of fat will always be 1g of fat
                1g of carbohydrates will always be 1g of carbohydrates

whether that comes from a large pizza or baked chicken and broccoli doesnt matter. there really is no such thing as unhealthy food (excluding stuff with chemicals/artifical/alcohol stuff). thats just bullshit society tries to get you to believe

high in calories or fat =/= unhealthy

in my personal experience, I feel the best working out or running 24 hours or so after my last meal

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

aren't things like avocado high in fat & calories? are they bad for you?
                  i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• 0JSIMPS0N
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                    aren't things like avocado high in fat & calories? are they bad for you?
                    1g fat = ~9 cals
                    1g protein = ~4 cals
                    1g carbs = ~4 cals

avocados are fat dense so naturally calorie dense. but they are good fats, loaded with vitamins and do a bunch of other stuff make you look younger etc etc the list goes on

and they taste good

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

k just checking i eat them daily
                      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• eat me
                        • May 2009

1g of protein will always be 1g of protein
                        1g of fat will always be 1g of fat
                        1g of carbohydrates will always be 1g of carbohydrates

whether that comes from a large pizza or baked chicken and broccoli doesnt matter.
                        Originally posted by 0JSIMPS0N View Post
                        1g fat = ~9 cals
                        1g protein = ~4 cals
                        1g carbs = ~4 cals

avocados are fat dense so naturally calorie dense. but they are good fats, loaded with vitamins and do a bunch of other stuff make you look younger etc etc the list goes on

and they taste good
                        so which is it? To be honest, I don't really think this is worth arguing about. If it works for you, and you have the energy to productively work out 4 times a week, and your body deals fine with the load - good for you.

eleven crows, I'm not convinced, at least not until Olympic athletes, fitness professionals and other people that spend a lot of time working out the best ways of fuelling one's body will adopt this sort of diet. I'm not saying it's not fit for basic survival, but that is not that difficult in general.

As I said, if this type of munching works for some people, and apparently is even backed up by some research - I'm ok with that. However I remain unconvinced for now.

Comment

• 0JSIMPS0N
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2011

I meant in terms of body composition, there is no difference. but "good" fats can help with other aspects of health

just to reiterate why I do it:

- stops me from overeating (no "snacking" that turns into an all-out feast)
                          - feel alot better during the day without having to carry all that food around in my stomach
                          - easy to track and get all the right macronutrients in
                          - saves time, saves money
                          - more energy

Comment

• lionlimb
                            • Feb 2013

Stable morning routine: juicer, blender (my smoothie game has been on point lately -- silken tofu / chia / tahini / blueberry / fig / meyer lemon), good coffee, good cigarettes, a sunny porch.

Accepting introversion / letting go of guilt / becoming unapologetic about needing time alone to geek out and recharge.

Keeping the kitchen stocked with mineral water.

Making the effort of keep up communication and maintain friendships with faraway but solid people.

Pup.

Wardrobe simplicity -- eliminating questionable items, so everything is comfortable / flattering / doesn't need to be analyzed in the morning.

Loving my job.
                            not baller

Comment

• Dane
                              HAMMERTIME
                              • Feb 2011

I'll probably regret asking this, but here goes...

I have to gain weight. I won't get into reasoning...no one cares. So, in turn, I need more calories. However, I don't want them to be from McDonalds et al.

I downloaded an app that says I need to eat around 3000 calories a day, and I'm struggling. It seems like all I do is eat and eat and eat.

Suggestions for HEALTHY calories? Ideally something that's not as filling as eating an entire avocado every hour?

Comment

• eleven crows
                                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                                I'll probably regret asking this, but here goes...

I have to gain weight. I won't get into reasoning...no one cares.?
                                I'm curious tbh.

Nuts and dried fruit are easy to constantly snack on, taste good, and will fill you out. You'll probably want to eat as much potato, bread and pasta as you can as well. Wash it all down with full fat milk.

Personally, I'd just eat from McDonald's, the King, and the Colonel for every meal. I love fast food though.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎