Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IceCream
    • Jun 2010

hey may i know what's the difference between all those leathers or is there a thread regarding leathers? TIA

Comment

• kunk75
      Banned
      • May 2008

the differences are implied in the desciptions

Comment

• KingNC
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
        the differences are implied in the desciptions
        this.

the descriptions tell the type and treatment of the leather. as a result, that kinda shows their differences...

Comment

• IceCream
          • Jun 2010

Thanks for sharing your knowledge of leathers, Eternal!
          Is there any online database on leathers?
          Thanks again :)

Comment

• mononon
            • Sep 2009

for some reason, i always thought the hammered leather was rigid, at leaset the pictures look that way to me, never handled though...

i've owned several types and here is what i can tell you

oiled calf - very very thick and durable, also smooth with a rubbery feel to it. most substaintial leather i have felt, but too thick for me.

washed lamb - thing, with slight sheen. good for spring or cool temperatures. i really like the more delicate feel to it.

sheep skin - super soft and supple

normal calf - very thick and durable as well, not the rubbery feeling to it

distressed lamb (from the gradient i believe) - flaky leather, gets destroyed easily (intentional), ages well if you like the destroyed look
            Last edited by mononon; 12-11-2010, 04:44 AM. Reason: this is coming from a leather noobie
            calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• mrbeuys
              • May 2008

Originally posted by mononon View Post
              for some reason, i always thought the hammered leather was rigid, at leaset the pictures look that way to me, never handled though...
              it does look rigid, but gets super buttery soft with wear. Also has a bit of stretch / elasticity. Beautiful leather, my favourite next to the oiled calf.
              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• kunk75
                Banned
                • May 2008

after buying the oiled calf, the hammered lamb feels really cheap to me.

my preferences are oiled, blistered, washed, then hammered in order.

Comment

• theaddict
                  • Apr 2008

although i love the blistered lamb and still want something in it...the oiled calf is still the best leather imo...feels so substantial...
                  Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• philip nod
                    • Aug 2007

to chime in
                    I got the oiled calf stooges at the Rick sale which was an insanely lucky break
                    without a doubt the best leather jacket I've ever worn and this includes the fencing and overlock
                    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• kunk75
                      Banned
                      • May 2008

^yes, some of the thin leathers feel like fashiony jackets but the oiled intarsia i have is probably like 7lbs and feels like a truly substantial jacket. i just got the stooges in oiled leather too and love it, great understated everyday jacket. I think that makes 8 now, which is probably overkill but I like having a range of textures to choose from.

I have to say, I really don't understand the move recently away from RO. I could wear nothing but rick forever despite the occasion or circimstances and be totally happy.

Comment

• philip nod
                        • Aug 2007

yeah the stooges is beyond classic
                        I't will never go out of style and is like bringing a loaded gun to a knife fight. it's in another league above all the other east village brandos
                        yeah w Rick the "fashion" experience is pretty standard. you can roll in and shop and walk out with something you love and will wear a lot, reward yourself for working hard. the basic formula for why this stuff is a fun hobby
                        I sort of remembered how nice that is after all the xxx weirdness.
                        Rick doesn't try and assert his power over you from the cradle to the grave, he just emboldens you with his power in a clean transaction, a generous exchange.
                        One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• theaddict
                          • Apr 2008

well, i gues its time for a stooges oiled calf waywt picture gentlemen!

I always liked the stooges on the hanger, but have seen a couple of fit pics on the net which i didnt like...so please enable me...
                          Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• kunk75
                            Banned
                            • May 2008

Yeah, typical rick purchase comes in well below a mortgage payment, which has become my depraved litmus test, whereas I can put in a half bath for the typical xxx purchase.

Comment

• cjbreed
                              • Feb 2009

whats the opinion on the full grain lamb leather this season? what does "full grain" refer to? looked nice in pics. textured.
                              Last edited by cjbreed; 12-11-2010, 11:10 AM.
                              dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• cjbreed
                                • Feb 2009

yeah kunk i have this cycle where i always come back to rick when i get frustrated with other designers. i had to accept that a lot of it doesn't work for me for whatever reason but there is still plenty that does. it is also a lot easier to wear than some of my other favorites.
                                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎