cant be that much i've got charged around 80-100 dollars before
    but to be charged like 8-900

Comment

• reborn
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by james View Post
      Duties are a pain in the arse
      I think we can all agree
      thankfully there are certain stores that will lower the value which really helps
      I recently made a order with Antonioli
      the total comes to around 2900 CAD
      I dont even want to think about the fee's ill be paying
      anyone have any clue how much it may be

thanks
      this might be of use:

Comment

• Silk
        • Jan 2009

Japanese online stores that sell and ship to U.S.?

Which, if any, of the Japanese or Asian based online retailers have easy check-out processes for U.S. credit cards or paypal, and also ship to the U.S.?

I can't read any Japanese so I need something basic that will translate in google easily. I've been on quite a few of the good sites, but never went through with a transaction because I can't read it, and I prefer not to use proxies.

Comment

• Huxley
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Silk View Post
          Which, if any, of the Japanese or Asian based online retailers have easy check-out processes for U.S. credit cards or paypal, and also ship to the U.S.?
          Umm, like none.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Silk View Post

I can't read any Japanese so I need something basic that will translate in google easily. I've been on quite a few of the good sites, but never went through with a transaction because I can't read it, and I prefer not to use proxies.
            Diabro, I suppose.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Silk
              • Jan 2009

^ Thats not very encouraging lol...

What about Yahoo Japan auctions? Do many of the sellers accept paypal or credit cards and ship to the U.S. for a reasonable amount? I will be glad to translate the auctions , but is there an easy way to identify if they do take paypal and ship worldwide. Any known good sellers or "stores" on there that are known to do this? Any info is much appreciated, thanks!

Comment

• KM80
                • Mar 2008

I've never seen YJA sellers that would ship to North America, or maybe even outside of Japan, I think you have to go proxy.

Comment

• ironman
                  • Apr 2008

i've seen a few that had said on their item listings that they are willing to ship worldwide

never tried it though. plus it's pretty rare so yeah, proxy

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Shipping is half the problem. You need to have an account in a Japanese bank I think in order to pay. Unless they have PayPal, which would be only coincidental.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• croatoan
                      • Jul 2007

It is going to be very rare for you to find a seller who accepts PayPal. If you can pay internationally, it is going to most likely be by bank transfer. And with that, most sellers aren't going to want to deal with English and an online translator isn't going to do you any good at all when it comes down to payment details.

Comment

• Test
                        • Dec 2008

Someone explain this to me so I don't lose my mind.

I'm in the US (let's assume in Chicago) and ordered something from a private seller in Ontario very close to the US border. Instead of using the border there or NY, they use 5 days to ship it to Alberta. Ontario --> Alberta. If I'm in Chicago, I'm halfway between the two points already. And it still has not even hit customs.

Why? Is there a major customs center at the Alberta/US border and nowhere closer?

Comment

• Pinoy
                          • Dec 2006

I just had a quick question about a package of mine that seems to be stuck in customs.

I bought a Rick Owens leather jacket from an individual located in Switzerland and the jacket shipped out on February 23. The package was marked as a gift and was given a value of $100. In the past, packages of mine usually entered and left customs on the same day, so I'm not sure why my package is taking longer than usual. Did customs open up the package and decide the jacket was worth more than $100?

In any case, I would appreciate any advice on the matter.

FYI, here's the tracking info on the package:

Inbound Into Customs
                          Inbound International Arrival, March 03, 2009, 1:45 pm, ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)
                          Inbound International Arrival, February 26, 2009, 10:31 am, ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)
                          Foreign International Dispatch, February 24, 2009, 7:48 am, ZURICH 59, SWITZERLAND
                          Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
                          Foreign Arrival at Outward Office, February 24, 2009, 1:01 am, ZURICH 59, SWITZERLAND
                          Foreign Acceptance, February 23, 2009, 2:03 pm, SWITZERLAND

Comment

• dji
                            • Feb 2008

I've never had this problem (Australia's parcel value limit before tax is applied is $1000 AUD ) however judging by the amount of time it's spent in customs I'd say they probably are assessing the value of the jacket to charge import tax unfortunately, I'd suggest you contact UPS and ask them about the delay. did you ask the seller to remove the price tag before shipping it to you?

Comment

• Pinoy
                              • Dec 2006

Thanks for your help, dji.

Assuming my package was opened up and assessed by customs, is there anything I can do now to avoid high customs fees or at least minimize them?

I had the seller email me a letter just now stating the jacket was worth $100 and was a gift. Maybe I should have him send me an email stating I left the jacket at his place in Switzerland and he's just mailing it back to me?

Any ideas would be much appreciated :)

Thanks for your help!

Comment

• reborn
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by danieldy View Post
                                Thanks for your help, dji.

Assuming my package was opened up and assessed by customs, is there anything I can do now to avoid high customs fees or at least minimize them?

I had the seller email me a letter just now stating the jacket was worth $100 and was a gift. Maybe I should have him send me an email stating I left the jacket at his place in Switzerland and he's just mailing it back to me?

Any ideas would be much appreciated :)

Thanks for your help!
                                Chill...sometimes these things take a few minutes to go through customs, sometimes a few days. It really depends. I have had stuff opened, and not received any duties or taxes due.

Your box may have been randomly selected for audit: are the contents appropriately labeled (leather jacket).

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎