• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Clothes you don't "get."

good call, agreed on flip flops, men or women.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• HWith
      • May 2007

That doesn't bring me much closer to the definition. I would always see those sneakers as designer sneakers, of course, but still I don't have a real definition. Are a pair of expensive Nike sneakers considered designer sneaks? Or a pair of Converse Chuck Taylors? Chucks aren't really used for sports today, but worn for their aesthetic - their design. Does that make them a pair of 'designer sneakers'? What differentiates a pair of 'sneakers' from a pair of 'designer sneakers'? Is it their utility - are they for sports or for looks? Or is it the price tag - and if so, how expensive must they be before they can be called 'designer sneakers'? Or is it the brand - and if so, how do you know which brands make 'designer sneakers' and which produces 'regular sneakers'?

[quote user="ddohnggo"]lanvin sneakers, y-3, etc...?
      [/quote]

Comment

• diamonds
        • Dec 2006

I think you're looking too deeply into it. I'd say they were talking of fashion designers ... Not just product designers, or whatever.

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

premium denim, or whatever its called. "high-end" mall jeans like 7, r&r, true religion.the quality on them always seems suspect, so basically some crappy embroiderycosts $300. I'm not going to lie, I had a pair of TR's a few years ago when I wasn't very "enlightened", but they were very plain skinny ones with no back pocket flapsor other ugly details[74]

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• desultory
            • Aug 2007

Yes, flip flops are like skeletal underwear for the foot - best kept to the confines of the house; although comfortable at breakfast-time.

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="HWith"]

That doesn't bring me much closer to the definition. I would always see those sneakers as designer sneakers, of course, but still I don't have a real definition. Are a pair of expensive Nike sneakers considered designer sneaks? Or a pair of Converse Chuck Taylors? Chucks aren't really used for sports today, but worn for their aesthetic - their design. Does that make them a pair of 'designer sneakers'? What differentiates a pair of 'sneakers' from a pair of 'designer sneakers'? Is it their utility - are they for sports or for looks? Or is it the price tag - and if so, how expensive must they be before they can be called 'designer sneakers'? Or is it the brand - and if so, how do you know which brands make 'designer sneakers' and which produces 'regular sneakers'?

[quote user="ddohnggo"]lanvin sneakers, y-3, etc...?
              [/quote]

[/quote]

Like Diamonds said, designer sneakers are just sneakers made by fashion designers. So not Converse by Chuck Taylor, but Converse by John Varvatos. That's all Faust means, I believe. I understand the objection in theory but I own a pair of Y-3 sneakers myself....[:$] And I'm pretty fond of the Lanvin and RO sneakers that some people here have bought.

I don't get why some women insist on hauling around these quilted monstrosities. [^o)]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="mike lowrey"]

premium denim, or whatever its called. "high-end" mall jeans like 7, r&r, true religion.the quality on them always seems suspect, so basically some crappy embroiderycosts $300. I'm not going to lie, I had a pair of TR's a few years ago when I wasn't very "enlightened", but they were very plain skinny ones with no back pocket flapsor other ugly details[74]

[/quote]

yea, right. i am sure they were full of TR gaudy glory [66]

To others, I simply mean sneakers done by designers and not sportswear companies.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="mike lowrey"]

[/quote]

yea, right. i am sure they were full of TR gaudy glory [66]

To others, I simply mean sneakers done by designers and not sportswear companies.

[/quote]

I would say I absolutely agree with this...but I just bought a pair of Acnes and I am completely smitten. [:$]

What else is included in the category of "premium" denim? Would Rag & Bone, Acne, etc. count? What about 45 rpm and Gilded Age?[72]

I realize I would be laughed off the face of superfuture for asking, but I am completely uninformed when it comes to denim...

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

in my opinionAcne isn't the same category, they're quality is pretty good and the aesthetic is quite different. all of their jeans are plain and even most of the washed ones are pretty clean looking, whereas brands like 7 For All, True Religion, R&R, Citizens of Humanity and whatever ride on different washes and cheap looking backpocket embroiderys.

45rpm to my knowledge makes very high-quality denim, I'd consider it realquality denim compared to watch popularly known as "premium", where only thing premium about them is the price [79]

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• Piffen
                      • Aug 2007

in my opinionAcne isn't the same category, they're quality is pretty good and the aesthetic is quite different. all of their jeans are plain and even most of the washed ones are pretty clean looking, whereas brands like 7 For All, True Religion, R&R, Citizens of Humanity and whatever ride on different washes and cheap looking backpocket embroiderys.

45rpm to my knowledge makes very high-quality denim, I'd consider it realquality denim compared to watch popularly known as "premium", where only thing premium about them is the price [79]

[/quote]

But still, Acne is not premium, premium meaning the denim quality, production etc..but I agree with you, they are in a different league than all those in the D&G club, considering both aesthetics and quality.

Premium brands would be Sugar Cane, Evisu, Ironheart, Skulls and many other more or less known japanese brands..

Japanse denim is often considered some sort of quality mark, take the DiorMI and the MII for example, one being made out of italian denim, the other out of japanese denim- therefore the difference in price (or so I believe it to be)..

I personally don't get "it"-things at all, may it be bags, shoes, cars or watches..

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

yea I agree, actual premium in the honestmeaning would definately be some of the ones you mentioned, as well as 45rpm.

acnewouldn't be premium nor mall-premium, if you get what I mean [74]

Comment

• gusgusterson
                          • Mar 2007

As Four menswear

most mens' footwear

the ubiquity of tights as pants

Comment

• Piffen
                            • Aug 2007

yea I agree, actual premium in the honestmeaning would definately be some of the ones you mentioned, as well as 45rpm.

acnewouldn't be premium nor mall-premium, if you get what I mean [74]

[/quote]

Oh, yeah, of course.. Haha, I seem to have suffered from a little glitch in the brain there.. [74]

Comment

• Jorge Hache
                              • Sep 2006

CROCS!

Comment

• DHC
                                • Jul 2007

^ good one. Although I think a pair in white patent leather with clear cuban heels and a red corduroy cargo pocket on the back curve would be pretty boss. *shivers*
                                Originally posted by Faust
                                fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎