Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

I've been wearing a new leather jacket lately and the strong smell of new leather has been making me want to contrast it with a floral fragrance. Any recommendation for the best fragrances that combine floral with leather?

Or what are the best just floral fragrances that work for men (I prefer to avoid sweet or powdery aspects that often accompany florals).

I remember trying something from the Odin line billed as a masculine floral but I can't remember which. I also believe this line is a bit overpriced given the competition in a similar price range.
    music

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

Floral leathers - Cuir de Russie by Chanel and Heeley Cuir Plein Fleur.

Florals in general would depend on your preferred flower.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• mick
        • Mar 2007

Sarrasins maybe? Jasmine with leather in the dry down.

Comment

• marux
          • Apr 2013

Hello guys, my first post here.

I've exclusively used Terre d'Hermes for the last 4-5 years. Dark, sophisticated scent wich I hope to be a future classic.

Comment

• darkbydesign
            • Sep 2010

^^Funny that Sarrasins is mentioned. I love that scent and was just thinking about getting some more as mine's running low. I like the leather in there (it's synthetic in a weird, but somehow appealing way, for me) and the jasmine and what smells like grape jam from the farm all works for me mixed in with that synth leather vibe.

Comment

• jogu
              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
              I've been wearing a new leather jacket lately and the strong smell of new leather has been making me want to contrast it with a floral fragrance. Any recommendation for the best fragrances that combine floral with leather?

maybe arsene lupin dandy ? its leathery , bit of violets , not sweet either . honestly its not somethin i liked enough to wear but i also dont get into leather except footwear . it does smell nice though , kinda old fashioned , comes in a nice rectangle glass bottle surrounded in a black wooden frame

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                • Jan 2011

recently got a small bottle of vetveryio by diptyque and i absolutely love it -- did not like tam dao as a human fragrance but thought it'd be great as a room fragrance, and didn't like volutes at all. I liked their room scents feu du bois and their fig -- they had a room candle that was similarly smokey that was supposed to be a collab with john galliano that I liked as well...

woudl i like muscs kublai khan ? XD

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

mkk is hit or miss, more often miss. It smells like ass, literally.
                  i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
                    Anyone own or like any of the following:

1. L'Artisan Caligna
                    2. Serge Lutens La fille de Berlin
                    3. Serge Lutens Boxeuses Bell Jar
                    4. Serge Lutens Encens et Lavende Bell Jar
                    5. what's everyone's favorite peppery spray (think CdG Harissa)?

Thanks
                    DxD
                    I have the Boxeuses bell jar -- I'd walked into the Serge boutique set on buying Sarrasins, but I found that strain of jasmine overpowering that particular day.

Boxeuses is a gorgeous fragrance, but the ripe plum may be a little rich and "jammy" for some (men, in particular.) If you like Boxeuses, I would suggest something in the Bois line. Bois et Violette is absolutely gorgeous - dry with a light floral wash. Bois et musc is a along those lines but a little more dirty. Bois Oriental is worth a sniff too.

El Attarine is a "skanky" -- that's a compliment -- scent with luscious dried apricots. I highly recommend it.

As for favorite peppery scents? Easily La Myhrre and Kurkdjian's Oud.

Over the fall, I was wearing a ton of Santal Majuscule -- it's the scent I've found most comprable to the scent of Indian Mysore Sandalwood slices heated gently, which is the most intoxicating scent I can think of, ever. (I get mine from Daihatsu -- try Japanincense.com. Don't get the chips! Stick to the slices! I heat mine using the koh method.)

What are your top 5 Parfums MDCI scents, masculine or feminine?

MBD
                    "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                    It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                    My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

The only MDCI's worth my attention were Enlevement au Serail (=new mitsouko) and Promesse de l'Aube (=new Diorella). Both are outstanding. A lot of people liked the Barbare one, but it didn't speak to me. The lot that de Nicolai did were solid, but dull (like much of her own line), and the latest "chypre" was too weird. None are terrible by any means, but for the price, those 2 are the only purchase-worthy bets.

Comment

• Castor
                        • Nov 2009

I tried Shalimar Parfum Initial today and I don't get "Shalimar" at all. Yes, it is a vanilla sort of gourmand oriental, but it is much more about a quick meh opening, soft floral affair with a lot of iris (which I love generally but feels odd here)and that bland sweet nothing dry down. I don't get what is special about it.

I bought a bottle of the first Aedes de Venustas by L'Artisan Parfumeur and heard they are coming out with a new one in June that is based on Iris and is by Ralf Schweiger author of Fils de Dieu by Etat Libre d'Orange.
                        Originally posted by DRRRK
                        The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

If you're not catching any Shalimar, you need to spend more time with it. If you ignore the trendy iris/nitromusk opening and focus on the mille-fleurs-resinous heart, you'll have a head start. They're not identical by any means, but there is some clear inspiration.

I believe AdV already has 2 scents under their house name, the 2nd being a bit dull...hopefully this 3rd one will be better.

Comment

• jogu
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                            Enlevement au Serail (=new mitsouko)
                            shit im gonna have to sample this

Comment

• Castor
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                              I believe AdV already has 2 scents under their house name, the 2nd being a bit dull...hopefully this 3rd one will be better.
                              The first was produced with L'Artisan and the second is their own label. The third will be their own label once again.

You don't like rhubarb? lol. It wasn't special enough for me either.
                              Originally posted by DRRRK
                              The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

I do like rhubarb...I think that's exactly the problem!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎