Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

Reviews on Basenotes look mostly positive, Alfarom's review is detailed and makes this release sound promising.

Alfarom wrote:
    Pulled the trigger on a bottle of Blue Encens...

Another attempt by Comme Des Garcons at catching the attention of the mainstream crowd but, unlike their previous Amazingreen, this time they nailed it. Blue Encens is probably not as artsy as other *edgier* deliveries from this house but it is SO nicely played to result incredibly likable while still skipping dullness. Safe? Yes, probably safer than, say, SKAI! Boring? No.

One of the keys to properly evaluate BE, is to get rid of the prejudices that might come with the *Blue* part of its name and with the overall sporty vibe that comes with the packaging and marketing. THIS IS NOT A SPORT FRAGRANCE. The concept here is to take previous CDGs themes (Hinoki, H&M and Dover Street Market come to mind) and give them a mainstreamish twist by adding, in this case, a solid juniper-cardamom combo which seem to be two of the flavors of the day. What comes out is a slightly metallic amber-incense fragrance in the typical CDG's style with a fresh and persistent spicy accord. The cardamom is the real star here and it's the first time that enters the CDG's world. Plenty of it throughout, while juniper supports the incense base enhancing the freezing effect together with subtle calone-y undertones. What really makes the difference from most designers, is how at CDG they keep on skipping those massive woodyambers that currently overpopulate the mainstream market. Another interesting aspect is that Blue Encens has no citruses whatsoever (not a good thing per se but definitely something to increase the distance from sporty stuff). The fragrance wears smoothly but it's pretty radiant, feels perfectly sized, safe but not generic. An easy wear just like a basic t-shirt. They apparently all look the same but, depending on fabric, cut and style, they wear incredibly different.

I've seen someone complained somewhere saying we didn't need another incense fragrance by CDG. Well, I think that's somehow a wrong assessment. Incense is to CDG exactly as vanilla is to Guerlain, iris to Chanel and hay to Parfums De Nicolai. It's in their DNA, it's their signature, it's part of their heritage and, most of all, they're very good at using it. With that said, I'd personally classify Blue Encens as a cardamom-driven fragrance built around a juniper-incense base so, if you're ok with a *safe* Comme, go ahead, Blue Encens is probably not groundbreaking but it's delightful nonetheless.

Downline: Blue Encens goes together with Wonderwood, CDG2Man, The Cologne Series and The Sherbet Series. "Intelligent Pop". Safe and honest.

According to rumors, Olivia Giacobetti should be involved in two of the three fragrances from the Blue Invasion series. Anyone?
    music

Comment

• profondo nero
      • Aug 2012

Sup Dane, any thoughts on Fate by Amouage?

Comment

• darkbydesign
        • Sep 2010

I liked Encens, although I still prefer the entire Incense series over it. I could be mental, but I swear I love all the lines CdG has put out in the tall cylindrical bottles (Red Series, Green Series, Incense Series) but pretty much die of boredom with all the fragrances in these bottles (888, white, etc) so my hopes are low for the rest of the Blue Series. I'll have to go try them this weekend though, out of curiosity.

As an aside, does anyone know if James Heeley is going to release anything soon? I swear he only releases stuff in tandem with FM EdP, but I'm hoping for something airy and light from him soon.

Comment

• jogu
          • Jun 2009

awwww man where are you 2 guys sampling them already ? honestly im not expecting to love any of them but i still wanna check em out , u never know . im goin to barneys next week to get lipstick rose , i dont wanna hear it lol . i know someone here hated it but god i loved it . i got a generous sample of it and i cant get enough . my friends even asked me like dude what " cologne " is that , smells awesome . the cashier girl at argo tea was like mmmmmmmm ! its become a new fav and i like the way it smells on my clothes the next day

Comment

• darkbydesign
            • Sep 2010

^^Demos are usually from friends who have samples in hand. In SF, the Barney's reps used to hook me up way ahead of time, but in NYC I'm nowhere near a "top" client so I no longer get any love.

Anyway, that makes me interested in LipStick Rose. It's probably the only FM EdP I haven't tried, so I should check it out. I love Portrait of a Lady and Carnal Flower even though they aren't exactly masculine but people ask about both all the time and like 0.25 of a spray goes a super long way..... Who designed Lipstick Rose? Can't remember.....?

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

They went on sale at the CDG NYC shop the day we posted the article.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jogu
                • Jun 2009

its a verrrry sweet powdery rose and violet , i get more violet than rose , i love violets tho . has an interesting soapy freshness behind that candied violet / rose . like all fm' s its got musk however i dont really pick up on that but other friends who wore a few sprays themselves have said they detect musk rite from the get go behind the candied wall . created by ralf schwieger . just sprayed some now from my almost empty sample ... yes ! you have to love sweet tho otherwise you mite hate it

@ faust , thanks i was wonderin where u guys were testing it already

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Mmm, we get ours straight from the mothership. I mean, we are a magazine and stuff...
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jogu
                    • Jun 2009

lol u guys ever consider putting like a magazine sample of some a the perfume houses we talk about in there ? i can think of a few people , myself included , that would buy at least 2 issues if a rick perfume swatch were included in an issue , i mean like before the actual perfume release . or shit even early sample swatches of stuff like the blue trio from cdg

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

It's hard to time something like this having a biannual schedule, but it's a pretty good idea.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• darkbydesign
                        • Sep 2010

Anyone try Heeley-Coccobello yet? Not sure I like all the notes, but am curious. Think it must be available by now, but I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

• Verdandi
                          • Mar 2012

With Lipstick Rose nomen est omen; it smells almost exactly like most of my lipsticks. It's very soft, powdery and I definitely smell musk. The rose thankfully stays in the back. I always thought of it as a kind of perfume that has a certain vintage quality to it. Not as in the grand perfumes like Guerlain or Piguet but more like it would belong on a vanity table in the 30s right there with all the make up. Lorenzo Villoresi's Teint de Neige falls in the same category for me although it's death by powder and then some more powder and a little bit of rose. I could swear it smells like Borotalco powder, another "older" vanity table staple.
                          lavender menace

Comment

• agentred
                            • Jul 2009

Heyhey, I've been reading through this thread for a while and finally need a new perfume, so: two questions rolled into one

1. My last perfume was une rose by FM, before that it was Creed's Original Vetivier and before that something by le labo (and I think CDG 2 man before that). I'm looking to try something new, maybe Lutens, so any current recs? Nothing too woody, maybe a weird bergamot?
                            2. Where in Paris could I pick up these recs/sample them?

And a bonus third question: I still have some of the rose left, is it worth waiting for the RO fragrance to be released? Apologies if these belong in the small questions thread, but I thought it was worth trying here. Grazie,

Comment

• Castor
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by agentred View Post
                              Heyhey, I've been reading through this thread for a while and finally need a new perfume, so: two questions rolled into one

1. My last perfume was une rose by FM, before that it was Creed's Original Vetivier and before that something by le labo (and I think CDG 2 man before that). I'm looking to try something new, maybe Lutens, so any current recs? Nothing too woody, maybe a weird bergamot?
                              2. Where in Paris could I pick up these recs/sample them?

And a bonus third question: I still have some of the rose left, is it worth waiting for the RO fragrance to be released? Apologies if these belong in the small questions thread, but I thought it was worth trying here. Grazie,
                              Check out Serge Lutens' shop in the Palais Royal: http://en.sergelutens.com/all-about-...ais-royal.html
                              Originally posted by DRRRK
                              The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• agentred
                                • Jul 2009

^ thank you sah, how did I go to the RO store in Palais Royale and never see Lutens?? But that's perfect, will post back on what I find.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎