• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beardown
    rekoner
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Lane View Post
    well, yah, the medias job is always to sensationalize everything otherwise no one would bother watching the news if it wasn't somewhat entertaining. I really think unless we are in a severe depression things like black friday go unaffected because we live in such a consumer driven society. Consumption is one of the roots of this culture.
    The media's job should be to report facts unbiasedly and inform the public; not to entertain or sensationalize. I'm not saying it's not the popular approach to lure in the lowest common denominator but let's be honest here: we live in sad times when people think the media's job is to entertain. Very sad times.

And wikileaks is accused of being a terrorist organization for letting people know what's really going on while outfits like Fox News are winning 'journalism' awards for making up stories like 'death panels' and pied piping the uneducated idiots up into a fabricated/manufactured frenzy.

In terms of America, more debt has always been the solution to not having money. I'd like to see the figures on how much of Black Friday's slaughter was the result of cold, hard cash and how much was the result of high-interest credit cards that will never, ever be paid off.
    Originally posted by mizzar
    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Lane
      • Aug 2010

woops, I didn't mean it was their job, even though I said that, haha. I actually meant its what they do to keep their power and influence in the world.

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed."
      — Mark Twain
      still relevant to today, imo

Also, yes this whole country is built on credit, and now we are seeing the consequences of living in excess, and ignoring the importance of savings/capital build up.

Comment

• beardown
        rekoner
        • Feb 2009

Great quote and I agree. I didn't mean to suggest you were justifying the idea. It's just generally become the accepted idea in the states.

There are still a few media outlets that report the truth but for the most part, newspapers and the news are parts of larger conglomerates with specific agendas to push, generally to create larger profits.

I worked for a newspaper in my earlier days and it's no exaggeration to say that the larger, more important advertisers literally dictated the front page stories. They could get them buried or pulled altogether with a quick phone call to the publisher or they could get a useless story above the fold in the 3rd largest market of the state I was living in.

One problem is that the media has become accustomed to giving people what they want and in the pursuit of this, they forget to what levels they're stooping. It's a business like any other and if CNN is could show videos of LOL cats 24-hours per day and make money, they'd most definitely do it.

And now I will quit pretending I'm on Reddit return this thread back to the original topic: F/W 10 Sales. Sorry for the digression. I can't help myself sometimes.
        Originally posted by mizzar
        Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Mikevigar
          • Jan 2010

Isn't it all part of the general apathy towards current affairs that most societies (particularly UK) have gone through in the last few years? So much celebrity culture just dumbs down what people see as 'news' and the media have just latched onto this by responding to what the majority of the population want (stories about x factor scandals, who slept with Becks last week etc...), which in turn has lead the political world into a culture of issue politics and oneupmanship.

Its a very unfortunate state of affairs, and limits opportunities for good discussion about all things important in the world, but getting angry about isn't healthy so I will finish by going back to the thread purpose.

Just bought from Zekka, and they're going to 50% on Julius and Damir I believe.

Comment

• sshum88
            • Dec 2007

Back to regular programming...Zekka is now 50% off on:

DAMIR DOMA, DEVOA, LUMEN et UMBRA and ANN DEMEULEMEESTER
            Originally posted by eat me
            If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• cjbreed
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by beardown View Post

There are still a few media outlets that report the truth but for the most part, newspapers and the news are parts of larger conglomerates with specific agendas to push, generally to create larger profits.

I worked for a newspaper in my earlier days and it's no exaggeration to say that the larger, more important advertisers literally dictated the front page stories. They could get them buried or pulled altogether with a quick phone call to the publisher or they could get a useless story above the fold in the 3rd largest market of the state I was living in.
              too true. check this out: who owns the media

edit - fyi this blog is a little extreme. and peppered with BS.
              dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• MikeN
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Dawn
                RO starts tomorrow. At least the London location is. NYC one starts on the 2nd as kunk mentioned earlier..
                Did I miss something? NYC store is definitely already on sale.

Comment

• sargon97
                  • Jan 2009

^ yeah currently 40%.

Comment

• sargon97
                    • Jan 2009

Yeah just ask Noam. There was a great interview by a well known British journalist on Manufacturing Consent, but I can't seem to find the link at the moment.

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                    too true. check this out: who owns the media

edit - fyi this blog is a little extreme. and peppered with BS.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
                      You and me both!
                      shut up!!!
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MikeN
                        • Nov 2007

haha, if all works out well I should have two more pieces coming to me

Comment

• jscl
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
                          Did I miss something? NYC store is definitely already on sale.
                          Originally posted by huckleberry View Post
                          Is there much in the Atelier sale? Got an email about it the other day but frustratingly they didnt name the brand as always.
                          is there anything worthwhile left at RO and Atelier? when does the new stuff arrive? thinking about making a trip to nyc this week...
                          JUST THE HITS

Comment

• premierminister
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by jscl View Post
                            is there anything worthwhile left at RO and Atelier? when does the new stuff arrive? thinking about making a trip to nyc this week...
                            I think the new stuff won't arrive before January.

BTW: RO Paris started their Private Sale today!

Comment

• Zenith
                              • Jun 2009

Was there decent swag at RO london? Will make the trek through the extreme cold to take a look

Comment

• cmitso412
                                • Feb 2010

I believe A got some LUC in yesterday or today as I got an email about it. unfortunately the piece I was emailed about wasn't exactly what I wanted :(

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎