Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fade to Black
    • Sep 2008

yes that's the one. i remember being intrigued by the trailer back in high school, didn't get around to seeing it until last night. Ebert's comment about the UK title and a plot hole large enough to drive a truck through are funny as hell in retrospect. meh, 90 minutes wasted...

come to think of it, the last 3 movies I have seen were in French (the others being Irreversible and Barbarian Invasions). I liked the latter, quite moving and considerable improvement upon the decline of american empire, although other than the characters and their personalities, i suppose there isn't much of a common thread between the two.
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Bosozoku
      • Sep 2008

Yesterday I watched SAUNA by Antti-Jussi Annila during the Amsterdam Fantastic Film Festival.

Didn't know what to expect of a Finnish "horror" movie, but was quite stunned by the cinematography and Ville Virtanen's leading part.

Approaches horror as the Japanese would do, in which the real horror lies within the unknown and unseen.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Watched The Class (different name in French, Between The Walls or something like that). Really excellent film, especially if you are a teacher.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Watched The Class (different name in French, Between The Walls or something like that). Really excellent film, especially if you are a teacher.
          Interesting. I watched the first 20 minutes and was somewhat shocked by the pseudo-documentary feel masking a distinct contempt for the second-rate (well portrayed as) ethnic students destined as factory fodder. I'll try to watch it by the end of the week and give a more informed opinion. The guy who wrote the book is a douche.
          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I think the contempt is a result of a constantly negative environment that the students create. A technology teacher flying off his handle was a prime example of that. I thought it showed really well how much patience and stamina a teacher must have to be successful (the main character shows that he does not have that and he portrays his own mistakes quite well, I thought). It also depicted very well that much is out of one's hands.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mass
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by maldoror View Post
              cowards bend the knee is great, but probably a poor choice for your first maddin. I'd highly recommend careful (my favorite maddin) instead.
              i ended up going with the saddest music in the world first and i loved it. i then watched heart of the world and loved it too. i may watch archangel next, or careful. thanks!

Comment

• DamageX
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Casius View Post

I have to say, I quite enjoyed watching this.
                That was an amazing documentary, I'm not really a fan of sports documentaries but this one was amazing. I watched it 2 times back to back. It was that good.

Comment

• polishmike
                  • Jan 2007

Saw "Il Divo" today I loved every minute of it. First "Gomorra" and now this, Italians are really stepping up.

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by polishmike View Post
                    Saw "Il Divo" today I loved every minute of it. First "Gomorra" and now this, Italians are really stepping up.
                    Exactly, I posted the same thing earlier in the thread. Go watch Le conseguenze dell'amore by Sorrentino.

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                      • Nov 2008

New Roy Andersson (Songs from the Second Floor) is finally making its way to the states this summer at Film Forum.

Took the fellow three years to make - apparently he pawned away most of his life to fund the film.

Comment

• Servo2000
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                        Le conseguenze dell'amore by Sorrentino.
                        Did you post this earlier? I just watched this like two days ago and now I'm wondering if it was coincidence or subliminal forum coercion.
                        WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post
                          Did you post this earlier? I just watched this like two days ago and now I'm wondering if it was coincidence or subliminal forum coercion.
                          All this conversation is déjà-vu.

Comment

• Servo2000
                            • Oct 2006

Comment

• Fade to Black
                              • Sep 2008

Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch...probably the best (of the relatively few) Western genre film I've ever seen. A man's movie, if there ever was such a thing, and not even in terms of the violence...
                              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Servo2000
                                • Oct 2006

Got back from the lecture Gus van Sant gave today - interesting and fun! I get the feeling he had been with the film students for the majority of the day so was probably a little tired of getting too in-depth so mostly was just telling stories rather than getting too "into" his work which I rather appreciated, honestly. Showed some fun early work / short film stuff that he did as well as some personal stuff he had from outtakes on shoots (a short "music video" of flea performing a captain beefheart song and some footage of the choir class at the highschool where he shot elephant).

I know my passion for narrative and space consumes most of my illustrative work so it's always tough not to switch to the film major at RISD - in a sense I can never really come up with a reason not too but something still holds me back. I imagine I'll end working on films one way or another, regardless.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎