X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rogelro
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by todestrieb View Post
    Still the go to man for barely-there sheer "haiku" scents.
    Different Company's Bergamote was a perennial favourite not too long ago. And of course, Un Jardin sur le Nil . I absolutely despise summer, but being able to cloak oneself in the scent made sweltering weather a far more bearable experience than I could've imagined.
    I like those you mentioned also Ellena's Cologne Bigarade is a summer go to for me

Originally posted by Castor View Post
    ^^^^Couldn't agree more.

But the noses to watch are:

Bertrand Duchaufour
    Mark Buxton
    Yann Vasnier
    Francis Kurkdjian
    Olivia Giacobetti
    Jean-Claude Ellena
    I'd add

Antoine Lie
    Antoine Maisondieu
    Celine Ellena (Jean Claude's daughter)
    Christopher Sheldrake
    Dominique Ropion
    Jacques Polge
    Pierre Bourdon
    Pierre Montale
    Last edited by rogelro; 04-15-2010, 07:07 PM.

Comment

• jogu
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by todestrieb View Post
      Still the go to man for barely-there sheer "haiku" scents.
      Different Company's Bergamote was a perennial favourite not too long ago. And of course, Un Jardin sur le Nil . I absolutely despise summer, but being able to cloak oneself in the scent made sweltering weather a far more bearable experience than I could've imagined.
      ya i love the hermes garden series but i didnt rly like the nile one , too orangey n shit however i love after monsoon , whew boy that smells great , like soft , sorta sweet in a mild melony way , breezy . nice bottle also , i like lookin at it on my counter just cos the colors are nice

Comment

• todestrieb
        • Mar 2009

^ Yup. The whole series is wonderful. Come to think of it, I love the Mediterranean one even more than the rest.

As for the nose list, I'd include Andy Tauer and Alessandro Gualtieri as well. Tauer Perfumes and Nasomatto respectively.

Comment

• rogelro
          • Mar 2008

anyone interested in swapping samples?

Comment

• anyone tried the etro series? I found them extremely mesmerising and soft and lush. palais jamais was awesome, and Etra as well. colours even more gorgeousssss.

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
              • Oct 2009

I love this!
              "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Was passing by Le Labo yesterday, so walked in. I liked both the Rose and the Bergamot for men. Expensive though...
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Castor
                  • Nov 2009

^^^^ Ah, but hand decanted while you wait with a personal inscription on the label. LOL.

Love Rose 31 as well, but those that don't like the sweaty aspect of cumin, may prefer Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie for a masculine rose with sheer incense and woods.
                  Originally posted by DRRRK
                  The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• NON
                    • Apr 2009

I'm a pretty dedicated Serge Lutens fan, probably because I tend to be attracted to deep, spicy, earthy scents. Never got too into very 'clean' fragrances.

Here are my favorites from Serge-

1. Serge Noire - earthy, spicy and warm, very complex and hard to pin down tends to change completely as you breathe it in:
                    patchouli, cinnamon, amber and black woods

2. Fumerie Turque - very smokey. smells like a turkish opium den:
                    tobacco, tonka bean, patchouli, white honey, turkish rose

3. Chéne - mossy, a deep forest but sweet. it's frodo's 'old fashioned' cocktail: cedar, wood sap, black thyme, immortelle, beeswax, silver birch, rum, tonka bean.

4. Chergui - more feminine and sweet than the aforementioned. very mysterious, a bit morrocan: honey, musk, incense, tobacco leaf, hay sugar, amber, iris, rose and sandalwood

Comment

• eaglewood
                      • Feb 2007

Etro - I have the vetiver. It is very dry and beautiful. Vetiver is supposed to be cooling and this manages to achieve that effect.

Le Labo - Rose 31 is very interesting. I think that The Different Company Rose Poivree which is another rose perfume suitable for men is in another class altogether. It is quite a bit more natural in its presentation compared to the Le Labo, which seems a little synthetic in comparison. The are both good though. I have both of them and there is a place for each in my rotations.

Comment

• klangspiel
                        • Apr 2007

a great rose is frederic malle's une rose. other darker abstract roses i'd suggest checking out are andy tauer's rose incense, byredo's rose noir, and as mentioned above, the different company's rose poivree (the first incarnation and not so much the second which is noticeably sweeter).

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        Was passing by Le Labo yesterday, so walked in. I liked both the Rose and the Bergamot for men. Expensive though...
                        interesting that the two scents are by the same nose - daphne bugey. they're both lovely indeed. i used to wear the bergamote solidly for about a year or two when it first came out. could never resist a good bergamot scent. fantastic sillage to boot.

Originally posted by NON View Post
                        4. Chergui - more feminine and sweet than the aforementioned.
                        i love chergui. on me, it's never feminine, but a bitter medicinal concoction with a faint hint of sweetness and spice in the background. image if you will, a sombre turn-of-century european apothecary on the verge of being seduced by the bohemian sensibilities of north africa or south asia.

Originally posted by Castor View Post
                        Sienne l'Hiver by Eau d'Italie, perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour.
                        that's a gorgeous gorgeous scent. it definitely lives up to its billing for being unconventional. it can be an austere and "reflexive" scent, but yet doesn't take itself too seriously - by stealthily moving from one accord to another. the official notes are spot on - white truffle, smoke, white musk, french straw, geranium, olives, .....
                        Last edited by klangspiel; 05-01-2010, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• 951SoCal
                          • May 2010

Originally posted by rogelro View Post
                          anyone interested in swapping samples?
                          how do you plan on doing that?

also ihave burberry brit like the cheapest one in this thread haha

Comment

• rogelro
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by 951SoCal View Post
                            how do you plan on doing that?

also ihave burberry brit like the cheapest one in this thread haha
                            just send each other a list of the samples we have and see what we want to swap.

Originally posted by NON View Post
                            I'm a pretty dedicated Serge Lutens fan, probably because I tend to be attracted to deep, spicy, earthy scents. Never got too into very 'clean' fragrances.

Here are my favorites from Serge-

1. Serge Noire - earthy, spicy and warm, very complex and hard to pin down tends to change completely as you breathe it in:
                            patchouli, cinnamon, amber and black woods

2. Fumerie Turque - very smokey. smells like a turkish opium den:
                            tobacco, tonka bean, patchouli, white honey, turkish rose

3. Chéne - mossy, a deep forest but sweet. it's frodo's 'old fashioned' cocktail: cedar, wood sap, black thyme, immortelle, beeswax, silver birch, rum, tonka bean.

4. Chergui - more feminine and sweet than the aforementioned. very mysterious, a bit morrocan: honey, musk, incense, tobacco leaf, hay sugar, amber, iris, rose and sandalwood
                            only one I tired on that list is Serge Noire and I don;t mind the dry down at all the camphor and dry incense but the opening was too much for me the cloves and cinnamon.

been meaning to try both Chene and Chergui. I did try Filles En Aiguilles though and I love it pine resiny wood notes with incense and fruits and spices.

Comment

• jogu
                              • Jun 2009

sup rogelro id be up for tradin samples , thing is i dont have any of those lil glass tubes . where do i find those do u kno ?

Comment

• todestrieb
                                • Mar 2009

Chergui is alright. The opening and mids are lovely, but the drydown is too much on the powdery side for my liking. Sheldrake has done better. Speaking of SL perfumes, Muscs Koublai Khan is now a non-exclusive, maybe for a limited time only?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎