X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uncontrol
    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Mung_city View Post
    Any opinions on Shellac? i found some incredible pieces lately, and for good prices
    I have a handful of pieces and am satisfied with all of them. It's not going to hold up to the artisanal brands discussed here, but it is good quality and well priced.

Comment

• Mung_city
      • Jul 2012

yeah, thats kinda obnoxious. shellac is of equal quality to julius, but it just doesn't have the cult status. I love my shellac pieces, but just wonder why it doesn't get mentioned alongside guidi, or LUC, or julius etc. Must not have passed the cool test yet

Comment

• the breaks
        • Sep 2007

I wish Shellac made real people sizes...
        Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• nicelynice
          • Oct 2009

Shellac quality is pretty decent, but the design definitely edges on the wrong side of derivative or gaudy Japanese style that internationally recognized brands like Julius or Viridi-Anne toe occasionally but for the most part manage to steer clear of. There's quite a few similar domestic brands like WJK, Jun Hashimoto, etc. that churn out serviceable clothing of good quality every year, but the collections as a whole are never anything to write home about.

If you've got a piece in mind that you like, it's probably a good buy - I own quite a few articles from the aforementioned brands. However, the collections and brand probably don't have a lot of depth for discussion.

edit: Unrelated random fashion thought,

"Cloak skinny jeans" featured in an article about the lack of a disposable fashion trend this year.

Odd juxtaposition sitting there with colored Gap denim and Ugg boots, wonder what editor wore those into the office that day
          Last edited by nicelynice; 12-19-2013, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• the breaks
            • Sep 2007

How many people are going crazy right now trying to find Cloak skinny jeans on Amazon?
            Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by the breaks View Post
              I wish Shellac made real people sizes...
              Japanese are people too.

LOL at the Cloak skinny jeans.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Mung_city View Post
                yeah, thats kinda obnoxious. shellac is of equal quality to julius, but it just doesn't have the cult status. I love my shellac pieces, but just wonder why it doesn't get mentioned alongside guidi, or LUC, or julius etc. Must not have passed the cool test yet
                This whole post, straight to the WTF thread
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

BBS has gotten into your head!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• antabaka
                    • Mar 2013

today i just realized that my love of deconstructionism and deconstructionist fashion comes from my childhood obsession of taking things apart

that probably also makes me autistic

is this the case with some of you guys too?

Comment

• delicious_not
                      • Dec 2012

i hate this feeling when you have some doubts and can't decide if you should go with the current season Rick or it's probably better to hold till the next season Rick. assuming that i don't really care about S/S collections, it's a tough decision. always a better version in the next season, it's a long wait though...

Comment

• BSR
                        • Aug 2008

@fmc: funny how you put it because i guess it is exactly ccp's point, to go against the excessive well-being that comes with the experience of luxury goods. Obviously it's an ironic gesture -some like faust even tend to see it as a bad joke-, since the price level is on a par with the most 'luxurious' items. The supposed counterpart is that, on proper body types and worn in certain conditions, it looks 'sick as fuck' / 'badass' / 'in your face' or whatever (it is also unquestionable that the stuff is extremely technical and expensive to achieve, hence the price). Note that, since ccp has become the iconic designer for billionaire asian kids, the irony is kind of going the reverse way.
                        pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                        Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Well, since CCP hasn't produced a collection in a couple of years, you can't really expect him to do anything.

We should move this to the CCP thread. Better this than fabric code questions (though those have kinda died down ).

P.S. I don't think Rick is committed to old-time luxury (Hermes is). He's committing to subverting it. You could even see the fact that it's becoming a rich bitch uniform as an additional level of subversion (i.e. they are wearing it without knowing why, except that Vogue has told them). Hey, I'm all for transfer of wealth from the bourgeoisie to creative class.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• messenoire
                            • Nov 2009

i own more rick basics than anything else, season after season they are consistent in sizing and cut. they seem to never change but the pricing surely has. this is the biggest conundrum within my wardrobe. why would i buy current season rick tees when they're exactly as the same as the last 10 seasons? a wardrobe staple for someone wearing a lot of rick year but still, buying basics in season at retail seems silly. does buying current season even matter when it comes to basics that don't really change?

Comment

• cloonz
                              • Aug 2011

There really is no reason to keep updating your basics unless you constantly destroy them. I think they realized this which is why they are releasing new colors for just one season.

Comment

• DRRRK
                                • Aug 2009

Some random thoughts from Antwerp today:

- Vintage Damir Doma is amazing
                                - The people at the Ann D. store are all lovely and perfect models for the clothes
                                -BEARDS!
                                Quotes from others:
                                - "Every part of fashion is getting more mainstream"
                                - "Multi-label boutiques with niche-labels don't work" (for Antwerp I guess, whatever happend to RA)
                                - "You are not an Ann D guy" :(

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎