• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by droogist View Post
    I'm starting to believe that the past eight years have so inured the public to ignorance in the country's highest office, that it's no longer considered a liability, but a norm. Otherwise, I can't think of any possible explanation for all this shit.
    Hi droogist!

I think what we are seeing at work is what we've always had here - deep mistrust in the intellectual and general stupidity promoted by American religious practices and lack of education. Palin is a fucking poster child for America.

Did anyone watch 20/20 yesterday? I mean Gibson completely undressed her - she is an ignoramus.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Hi droogist!

I think what we are seeing at work is what we've always had here - deep mistrust in the intellectual and general stupidity promoted by American religious practices and lack of education. Palin is a fucking poster child for America.

Did anyone watch 20/20 yesterday? I mean Gibson completely undressed her - she is an ignoramus.
      i saw some of it. she could not even answer a question directly. she sounded completely ignorant. so many issues that they are not being clear about. ugh sooo frustrating.
      Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• droogist
        • Sep 2006

Hi Faust.

Well, the point I was trying to make was that shocking ineptitude just isn't all that shocking anymore. It's as if the presidential bar has been lowered to such unprecedented depths that questions of a candidate's competency have been rendered completely irrelevant. I doubt that even 8 years ago anything like this whole Palin thing would have flown.

Really I'm just trying to work out a logical explanation as to why so few people (Matt Damon notwithstanding) seem to be feeling the naked terror they probably ought to feel, when confronted with the very real possibility that Palin could be president in the not-so-distant future.

Comment

• droogist
          • Sep 2006

^ Hm..when about to be run over by a freight train I am rarely apathetic, so I guess I can't relate. :(

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Hi Faust.

Well, the point I was trying to make was that shocking ineptitude just isn't all that shocking anymore. It's as if the presidential bar has been lowered to such unprecedented depths that questions of a candidate's competency have been rendered completely irrelevant. I doubt that even 8 years ago anything like this whole Palin thing would have flown.

Really I'm just trying to work out a logical explanation as to why so few people (Matt Damon notwithstanding) seem to be feeling the naked terror they probably ought to feel, when confronted with the very real possibility that Palin could be president in the not-so-distant future.
            Maybe that is the problem? I mean, the McCain campaign manager flat out said that the election is not about the issues, but about the impression that the nominees make on the American public. Found this via NYT. Not sure if I buy this myself though - probably not.

I understand your point about ineptitude. I don't know if that's the reason though. Bush's approval rating is low, and so if that of the congress. I honestly think that the general population of the US is willfully ignorant, philistine and "stiffnecked" in the best Arnoldian sense. I don't see any other explanation.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jon
              • Apr 2008

an online news, editorial, and lifestyle gazette, providing cultural content and discussion with a midwestern feel and a universal appeal

Here's a link to an interesting article. Calling for a 'revolution' at the polls Nov 4. I like how it calls out the reigning american political regime for what it is: corrupt. Which is sadly not something that most Americans register. The Republican platform is an easily digested pre-packaged marketing machine with only one concern: controlling power.

I think the article linked by Faust brings up some interesting points which are especially relevant. The Republicans do seem to pull people to their side with the illusion of control over complex issues, which is something people are naturally drawn towards.

I think it's hard to argue that the rate of change in today's world is much more overwhelming than in the past but that doesn't mean that we should accept sound bites as absolute truth and allow others to think critically for us...

EDIT:

A Canadian perspective on McCain's transformation. Very informative, and I think not only for Canadians...
              Last edited by Jon; 09-13-2008, 04:56 PM.
              Originally posted by merz
              perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• droogist
                • Sep 2006

Maybe that is the problem? I mean, the McCain campaign manager flat out said that the election is not about the issues, but about the impression that the nominees make on the American public. Found this via NYT. Not sure if I buy this myself though - probably not.

I understand your point about ineptitude. I don't know if that's the reason though. Bush's approval rating is low, and so if that of the congress. I honestly think that the general population of the US is willfully ignorant, philistine and "stiffnecked" in the best Arnoldian sense. I don't see any other explanation.
                I don't necessarily disagree with that, but I think calling roughly half the population stupid really doesn't help us out very much. It's certainly not going to sway the large percentage of voters collectively shrieking "so you think you're better than me?" at every perceived slight. Nearly 50% of the electorate view Palin favorably, and they can't all be right-wing evangelicals. There's just gotta be a way...I'm placing my last best hope in the upcoming debates.

And yeah, I read that essay the other day. My biggest problem with it was, suppose we accept it as true: what are we supposed to do about it? Abandon appeals to reason altogether?

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but I think calling roughly half the population stupid really doesn't help us out very much. It's certainly not going to sway the large percentage of voters collectively shrieking "so you think you're better than me?" at every perceived slight. Nearly 50% of the electorate view Palin favorably, and they can't all be right-wing evangelicals. There's just gotta be a way...I'm placing my last best hope in the upcoming debates.

And yeah, I read that essay the other day. My biggest problem with it was, suppose we accept it as true: what are we supposed to do about it? Abandon appeals to reason altogether?
                  I know it doesn't help :-( But, hey, at least I can say it. FREE COUNTRY!!! On a serious note, I don't think willfully ignorant is not the same as stupid. It's worse.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jordache jeans
                    • Aug 2008

The party that wins this election will be bear irreperable harm for a good decade. The next president is going to inherit America at the beginning of the worst financial period in recent times, along with the most uneasy and hostile international landscape we've seen since the Cold War. An FDR or a Lincoln might have the skills to steer us properly in this crucial period, but lets face it - McCain or Obama aint no FDR.

Neither of them will turn the tide and the worst is yet to come. Their administration and party will bear the blame of the disasters Dubya has laid down for 8 years.

Thats why I want McCain to win. Let America see just how incompetent the GOP really is so we can weaken that party for good.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Just how weak does this country have to become in order for people to see the weakness of the GOP?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

Just how weak does this country have to become in order for people to see the weakness of the GOP?
                        Don't you know, everything is good for the GOP. Terrorist attack due to incompetence and malfeasance, good for the GOP. No terrorist attacks due to random luck, good for the GOP. Economic boom, good for the GOP. Nation at war, good for the GOP. Economic struggle, good for the GOP. And so on.
                        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                          Don't you know, everything is good for the GOP. Terrorist attack due to incompetence and malfeasance, good for the GOP. No terrorist attacks due to random luck, good for the GOP. Economic boom, good for the GOP. Nation at war, good for the GOP. Economic struggle, good for the GOP. And so on.
                          GOP is like sex. Even if it's bad, it's still pretty good.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                            • Nov 2007

GOP is like sex. Even if it's bad, it's still pretty good.
                            LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• philip nod
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                              i often put myself to bed imaging mccain mounting palin
                              One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
                                i often put myself to bed imaging mccain mounting palin
                                The Maverick and the MILF. Coming to the pron theater near you.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎