• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post

Also, you should understand that when you vote for a candidate, you vote against another candidate. McCain's goal of perpetual war, deregulating everything (including the health care industry and further deregulating wall street), cutting corporate and capital gains taxes in the face of massive deficits, undermining equal pay, and generally being opposed to everything I care about makes a very convincing argument for what I'm voting against.

I'm probably wasting my time.
    Damn, sparks are flying now.

Also, one should understand that one votes not for just a candidate, but for a party. We have three Supreme Court justices who are too old, and will be replaced during the next presidency. The better fucking be Democrats, or your wives and girlfriends may just turn to wire hangers for abortions (in addition to many, many other things that makes the judicial arm of the government more important than the legislative or executive).
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kunk75
      Banned
      • May 2008

i don't see roe v. wade ever being overturned if it wasn't during dubya's oligarchy. we have our own opinion on it, but i don't think it should be a legislative issue.

Comment

• Real Real
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
        I was a fervent hillary supporter who volunteered for her campaign..
        What was Hillary's position on universal health care?

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

i don't see roe v. wade ever being overturned if it wasn't during dubya's oligarchy. we have our own opinion on it, but i don't think it should be a legislative issue.
          Nothing happens til it happens. And as long as there is a threat of it being overturned, that's enough barbarism for me. It's constantly challenged in course and gets to the Supreme Court eventually.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kunk75
            Banned
            • May 2008

i'll never find a candidate with whom I am in complete agreement.
            And I don't even really see Mccain as a better choice. I see 2 who are 3rd in a field of 2.

Originally posted by Real Real View Post
            What was Hillary's position on universal health care?

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Nothing happens til it happens. And as long as there is a threat of it being overturned, that's enough barbarism for me. It's constantly challenged in course and gets to the Supreme Court eventually.
              There was a well read blogger who posted an interesting conversation with his conservative Canadian father. His father kept asking him how everyone could have forgotten the horrible deaths and injuries from back alley coat hanger abortions before Roe. If I had any belief whatsoever that the anti-abortion forces cared at all about the value of human life, reading the recollections of ER doctors from before Roe would cure me of that.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Real Real
                • Feb 2007

i'll never find a candidate with whom I am in complete agreement.
                And I don't even really see Mccain as a better choice. I see 2 who are 3rd in a field of 2.
                I simply don't understand how someone who fervently supported Hillary would find themselves turning to McCain over Obama. What's the rationale?

Which positions does Hillary hold that Obama does not hold? Hillary is every bit the economic liberal that Obama ever was - hell, her health care plan involved more government interaction than Obama's. McCain's positions on most major issues are radically different from both Hillary's and Obama's, so I can't understand how someone purportedly voting based on positions could possibly make that switch.

If it's a question of experience, judgment, and integrity, then what do you make of McCain's judgment over the last month? What sort of judgment or integrity did he show when he selected Palin? What do you make of his tomfoolery over the past couple of days, where he's clearly tried to politicize the bailout negotiations?

I don't know. I completely understand someone who says "I make $250,001 a year, and I don't want to pay more taxes" or "I don't think there's anything in this world more important than banning abortion" or "I think McCain will be more blindly pro-Israel" and then chooses to vote McCain. I have a difficult time ascribing the motives of a Hillary -> McCain voter to anything other than ignorance (or racism).

Comment

• Real Real
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                  There was a well read blogger who posted an interesting conversation with his conservative Canadian father. His father kept asking him how everyone could have forgotten the horrible deaths and injuries from back alley coat hanger abortions before Roe. If I had any belief whatsoever that the anti-abortion forces cared at all about the value of human life, reading the recollections of ER doctors from before Roe would cure me of that.
                  Or, read about Romania during the cold war - there was a movie that came out about this recently, also, if you want the short version.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Or, read about Romania during the cold war - there was a movie that came out about this recently, also, if you want the short version.
                    Not to derail this, but have you read Norman Manea?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Real Real
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Not to derail this, but have you read Norman Manea?
                      No, I've just come across the Romania-stuff in a couple of history books (most recently Tony Judt's Postwar) and an article or two. I'm not that well informed on it, I've just read horror stories in a few different places.

What of his is worth reading?

Comment

• kunk75
                        Banned
                        • May 2008

mccain's judgement has been awful and i'm not choosing him at all.
                        i had switched from tending to vote conservative because i've had fairly extended personal interaction with hillary and liked her a lot.

I simply don't understand how someone who fervently supported Hillary would find themselves turning to McCain over Obama. What's the rationale?

Which positions does Hillary hold that Obama does not hold? Hillary is every bit the economic liberal that Obama ever was - hell, her health care plan involved more government interaction than Obama's. McCain's positions on most major issues are radically different from both Hillary's and Obama's, so I can't understand how someone purportedly voting based on positions could possibly make that switch.

If it's a question of experience, judgment, and integrity, then what do you make of McCain's judgment over the last month? What sort of judgment or integrity did he show when he selected Palin? What do you make of his tomfoolery over the past couple of days, where he's clearly tried to politicize the bailout negotiations?

I don't know. I completely understand someone who says "I make $250,001 a year, and I don't want to pay more taxes" or "I don't think there's anything in this world more important than banning abortion" or "I think McCain will be more blindly pro-Israel" and then chooses to vote McCain. I have a difficult time ascribing the motives of a Hillary -> McCain voter to anything other than ignorance (or racism).

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

@real real. Compulsory Happiness is a good collection of short stories. Looks like it's out of print, but there is one copy on amazon for $2.95

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kunk75
                            Banned
                            • May 2008

^hahahahaha.

i am an ignorant racist. no judgements here obviously.

Comment

• Real Real
                              • Feb 2007

I have a difficult time ascribing the motives of a Hillary -> McCain voter to anything other than ignorance (or racism).
                              I didn't call you an ignorant racist. I'm saying that I honestly don't understand how you get from point A to point B without that being involved.

Comment

• Servo2000
                                • Oct 2006

I've been watching some of the Palin-Couric interviews today. Simply pathetic.
                                WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎