• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by sissyleaks View Post
    ^ did you see my second post?

BSR's last post puts it well.- His inspirations are sourced within the niche he operates in.

And please

those first boots are a direct reference to these... its so bleedingly obvious.
    I did - hence the part of my post in parenthesis. As for the CCP comparison - L.O.L.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sissyleaks
      • Dec 2011

Lowrey:

I wont mistake them for the boots i compared them to. I did not say they look identical...(the first boots are certainly closer to the carol if i must add)

I accept i might have gone a little overboard with the laces comparison but my point was more to state that Simone takes a lot from within his niche....anyhow lets leave the laces aside..

Yes I know they are augustas when I see them because most of his shoes look like a badly executed version of something I have seen before. I know he uses great materials and the boots are made well(plain ol goodyear) but that doesnt cut it for me. His treatments are definitely his own as I have said before...that is his strength, but these 'treatments' and 'experimentation' serve as gimmicks to add value to his consistently derivative product.

dead- end?

seriously tho...come on? The more people point this out, its going to drive him to create something more original.. What we discuss here goes straight to the ears of designers within hours or days...
      Last edited by sissyleaks; 09-10-2012, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• BSR
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        I did - hence the part of my post in parenthesis. As for the CCP comparison - L.O.L.
        seriously... did you just cop a pair of Augustas?
        pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
        Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• sissyleaks
          • Dec 2011

^ he probably got given a pair by Simone :P

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post
            seriously... did you just cop a pair of Augustas?
            No. What, you also agree with sissy about the two pairs posted?

Let me repeat myself, for the sake of clarity. I agree that he swipes a lot and that swiping from one's milieu is different than swiping from history. But it's not the case with those two pairs.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

1) CCP

2) MEMORIA (Laces)

This guy is like mario. He loves his 1ups.

There seems to be no consistency with his approach. He basically does his version of what other designers come up with. Not to say that his work is of bad quality, but it just lacks any integrity or direction whatsoever in my opinion.
              Lowrey:

I wont mistake them for the boots i compared them to. I did not say they look identical...(the first boots are certainly closer to the carol if i must add)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Atom
                • Sep 2009

Let's put it this way. Do you think the folded pair of A1923 would exist if Carol hadn't come up with that kind of technique of folding?

A1923's don't look like CCP, everyone can see that. But Carol's original idea can be seen there.

Comment

• mortalveneer
                  • Jan 2008

I think its predominantly that particular photo of them, but i think those CCP boots look hideous in comparison to the A1923 execution.
                  I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Originally posted by Atom View Post
                    Carol's original idea can be seen there
                    and here too

oh, Carol, Carol

BSR, same here as in my first exapmle, sorry can't find proper pics right now. this idea is too old.

Comment

• Atom
                      • Sep 2009

The folding in your example is not really like in the shoes discussed above. And I'm not saying CCP invented anything first.

But the question's still valid, would those A1923's exist if Carol hadn't made his model first.

Comment

• cjbreed
                        • Feb 2009

ok here we go. i see the similarities that are being pointed out here, but they are not as glaring as in other works we've seen from augusta. still, the larger point is that this issue is brought up with augusta more so than with any other designer, which has to mean something.

but each time this comes up i think of this post by GBS

http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/sho...527#post375527

"...I must laugh when I read a certain thread littered with comments about two well-respected designer's products looking like the same article, and unknowing SZ members trying to figure out and theorize what is going on. Well I happen to know what is going on. It just so happens that the 2 designers do not make their product. Someone else does. And that someone else is very, very good and is working for both designers and basically making the same thing for both. I will not say whether it involves a "tailor" or a "cobbler" nor will I mention any names of course. The point is: production dictates design, no matter how great a fu__ing 'genius' you may be considered as a designer. Historically, you can see that with many licensed designer collections, a designer's collection is beautiful or not so beautiful depending upon when and with which producer the collection was being handled by...."

if production dictates design, then to what extent? is simone ripping off ccp? or are they both just buying similar designs from the same shoemaker? perhaps with a tweak here and there to make it their own?
                        dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Originally posted by Atom View Post
                          The folding in your example is not really like in the shoes discussed above. And I'm not saying CCP invented anything first.

But the question's still valid, would those A1923's exist if Carol hadn't made his model first.
                          yes. mayb. no. Yes, Simone had never been on frontier of it all, but if Poell didn't go ahead, S could go first.
                          No, Simone isn't an innovator like Carol and maybe he needs a actual basis for his own work, but, to be honest, he is still better than Carol as a shoemaker.

Comment

• Atom
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Jin View Post
                            he is still better than Carol as a shoemaker.
                            I agree, I find his models much more comfortable for my feet that CCP's.

Comment

• Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                              or are they both just buying similar designs from the same shoemaker? perhaps with a tweak here and there to make it their own?
                              I respect Geoffrey, and I can't be sure, but I don't think that Simon was so mad to insist on his uniqueness and his perfectionism for several years (even with some exaggerations), and use the services of some mysterious designer at this time. And same for Carol.
                              Maybe I'm just too idealistic and romantic, and they both order their boots design from Geoffrey.

Comment

• cjbreed
                                • Feb 2009

i feel like it can't be that simple that they are simply choosing to use someone else's designs like ordering off a menu. especially carol, look at all his completely unique designs in footwear with all the folded, dipped, u-soled, prosthetic, aluminum trash can stuff. its crazy. so my question is, to what extent does production dictate design? is it more influential in footwear? because there are definitely some striking similarities to ccp in earlier augusta seasons. beyond debate i'd say

also i should mention i could be wrong about what exactly geoffrey's post was referring to but the timing indicated to me it had to be the ccp/augusta debate.
                                Last edited by cjbreed; 09-10-2012, 03:25 PM.
                                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎