• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mesh
    • Dec 2006

Re: Designers/Brands You Want to Love but Can't

[quote user="Faust"]

/\ that's what I wanna hear (referring to mesh) [Y].

I know what you are saying about MMM and JS, but I need to find that key.

[/quote]

It takes a great deal of patience but when you do it's well worth it. They have just enough subtle detailing that makes you appreciate it whenever you pull that piece out of hiding but not so muchso thatwill make it dated.Also like real real said the fabrics post-prada are great on the upper tier stuff (that seemingly aren't ordered by js stores). It never ceases to intrigue me how different every store buys and I haven't found many mmm and js pieces at the big places that were key. I do have to say that our barneys had quite a few great js spring pieces that I learned the new york store didn't get because of the buyer tailoring to the market. Unforunately their fall buy is back to crap so far. I love the stuff too because I know I can wear it forever.

Comment

• deleuze
      • Jul 2007

[quote user="Faust"]Funny you should say this - Ann adores Baudelaire (and that bitch Rimabud, as Voltaire once so eloquently described him). Rick and Flabert though? Hmm...
      [/quote]

I wonderif Ann has read Pauvre Belgique. I can see someRimbaud in her clothing;when I wear Ann I'm more in the mood forGeorges Rodenbach than Baudelaire. Rick on the other hand is decadence with more of a realist lineagethan aromantic one.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

^reeeeq oveen, obviously, darling. [86]

[/quote]

I just wanted you to type those words! [86]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
          • Aug 2007

thom browne
          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• matthewhk
            • Jan 2007

[quote user="DHC"]Curious if Libertine is a label any of you have gotten into. Some of the pieces I've seen are hand finished and very well made, but I can't get passed all that heavy embellishment.
            [/quote]

Libertine is a one trick pony...stuff i've handled and tried on is ill fitting, poorly made, only merit is the level of detail that goes into the finishing. I did like that collection with the hoodies and oxford cloth button downs that were printed with larges images of towns and what not. For 'one trick pony' brands I prefer Mastermind Japan, but that's arguably even more limited in its range than Libertine.

Raf Simons is it for me...at one point i liked what i saw on the runway but the tailoring was always really awkward on me. Guess he doesn't design for my body type. Also his use of fabrics isn't so great, even if innovative it's not very elegant feeling. I have the same problem with Junya Watanabe, interesting concepts/designs but awkward fit and really coarse fabrics. When Yohji might use a rougher fabric he makes up for it in detail and construction at least, a shetland wool hooded toggle coat still feels 'haute' when put on, if that makes any sense.

Also CCP...i actually love his designs, but the tailoring is too extreme. I just don't subscribe to the thought that clothing should be so deliberately thought about and struggled with when put on. I always enjoy seeing people who pull it off and look natural/comfortable in it, though.

Finally, Rick Owens. Again, love his work and seeing it on people who pull it off...the tees i have especially liked, yet all the ones i've seen are definitely for people whose style is the antithesis of mine. Some people on SZ such as Lowrey and Albert manage to make them look normal, but when i try them on they look REALLY awkward, like a skin clinging sheer dress, very feminine. Guess it takes a certain build and character to wear the clothes.

Comment

• Who?
              • Aug 2007

M.A+, CDiem and the continues collections. I am in love with the designs, the craftsmanship, the techniques and experimentation that goes
              into each garment. It's inspiring and the whole aesthetic can look amazing on the right person. However their pieces always look better on the hanger than they do on me. I just don't have the physical appearance to pull off this look.
              WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• boxma
                • Feb 2007

Prada F/W2008., All the funny details like double collar, cumberbund like bikini, bib like women sport bra etc etc.They areinteresting items to see in menswear but definitley I am not going to buy / wear.

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

for me this happens with a very big part of designers. I think its because I can really like a certain designer's style or aesthetic, but it doesn't always translate that well into individual garments that stores have. so often when you browse items in personyou feel some level of dissapointment when it doesn't look like what you hoped for, or doesn't suit you in some way.

This has happened with many of the brands mentioned here, Jil Sander, Raf, and on some level Yohji and Ann as well. withthe latter two it basically just has to do with the clothing not matching my personal style due to cuts, proportions etc, but then again that doesn't mean I wouldn't like them as a designer. so maybe that doesn't fully count as not being able to "like them" asI still love their style.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• jj.still
                    • Dec 2006

Walter Van Beirendonck

Comment

• matthewhk
                      • Jan 2007

[quote user="Who?"]M.A+, CDiem and the continues collections. I am in love with the designs, the craftsmanship, the techniques and experimentation that goes
                      into each garment. It's inspiring and the whole aesthetic can look amazing on the right person. However their pieces always look better on the hanger than they do on me. I just don't have the physical appearance to pull off this look.
                      [/quote]

I can relate to C Diem, but MA+ is a bit harder for me...granted i have not handled or seen much of the stuff in person as whenever I'm in Lift it's mostly sold out except for the odd pair of leather pants or such. It, like CCP, but perhaps on a less extreme level, doesn't seem like clothing that's very practical or comfortable for every day wear. This is just speaking from a point of view of my own style, as I dress for comfort and function first and foremost. I can admire the garments from a distance.

Comment

• casem
                        • Sep 2006

Jil Sander has gotten to be this way for me. I used to buy a few things from each collection, but lately I find myself appreciating what's on the runway but nothing in stores has caught my eye enough to make me buy.

CCP also qualifies merely because it's too expensive. I've also appreciated Dries, Junya, and CDG but never bought anything.

Raf has also been tricky for me. Every season there's a few things I want, I've bought things and returned them from yoox, I've had my eye on pieces only to see them last till 60% off and tried various things on, but not once have a made the move. It's a combination of things fitting weird, and Seven waiting so long for their sales that I'm already spent by the time I would consider buying it.

music

Comment

• kira
                          • Mar 2008

Re: Designers/Brands You Want to Wear but Can't

I think this would be mostly Yohji for me. I really love many of the pieces that I see, but I am not sure that I can wear most of them. They are too full for my taste. The Y's Red label is a different story. There seem to be pieces there that I could really get into, at least based on the pics. But something like this below, I really like on others, I just dont feel comfortable in it myself...Rick has placed a spell on me.

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Kira, you should try out some Y's knitwear - I think it'd be right up your alley. Speaking of Y's, I sense a purchase coming... [79]
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

^Faust, you've become a regular shopaholic!!! [86]

kira, have you tried on much yohji? It's not for everyone, but putting it on makes a huge difference. I also think it's easier to start with the tops and the knits, like Faust said, esp. if you don't care for a lot of volume...[51]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Yea, I don't know what's gotten into me, laika.... It's a weird combination of awesome things coming together in a short period of time.... or something. somebody stop me!!!!!!!!!!!!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎