X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Whoa, how can you not like Devoa?! It's simply perfect.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kuugaia
      • Feb 2010

^^^ Catfood, to me it sounds like you only like to wear 'clothes'.

I notice a lot of people say that Julius is 'contrived' and full of teenager goth punks not representing anything realistic. But what about Paul Harnden and his historic victorian clothing? Or any other label that draws different cultural inspirations to their collections? Should we be wearing stuff that reflects the current day's culture and our lives? No thanks. I'd rather be a industrial gothic wannabe than a wear Calvin Klein Logo T-shirt.

Yohji and Comme des Garcons are the two labels I would love to wear, but can't. M.A+ shows no love to my frame as well.

edit: Totally agree with you P. Got to have a feel of Julius, or labels in general, to really appreciate it.

Comment

• MoFiya
        • Sep 2007

^ wait, I though this thread was about which clothes you cannot feel at all and not which dont fit your frame / personal aesthetic.

I personally can (by god) not wear any Yohji but I must say, head-to-toe Yohji silhouette is one of the styles I appreciate the most, although I will most probably never be able to wear it (not my style and I am not the person to look confident in it). So one has to differ here into what labels you cannot wear (for whatever reasons) and what labels aesthetic-wise or whatever you don't feel at all.

Well ... and for me ... I don't judge labels I haven't handled in person which applies to many labels on SZ which live by themselves and their appearance and though cannot (IMO) be appreciated through stiff pictures. E.g. Cdiem, ma+, LMaltieri etc...

And for some of the Rick stuff - my personal thoughts are just WTF (basketball shorts, mentioned above) - but to each his own.
        Last edited by MoFiya; 06-10-2010, 03:41 PM. Reason: mass typos
        I have dreams of orca whales and owls
        But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• kuugaia
          • Feb 2010

^ Oh right you are. Completely lost the plot after reading the aforementioned post. I thought it was: what you love looking at but feel sad about when you put it on it doesn't give you any feeling. Been just drained trying to make a pair of pants...really more to it than meets the eye. No joke.

On topic, what I want to love by can't. Raf and Helmut. Mind you, I probably wasn't around to appreciate the better stuff from what I've heard.

Comment

• Catfood
            • Oct 2008

Well I was expecting a few reactions

I have seen julius in person before and while there are certain individual pieces I like and that I'd wear, on a whole most if it doesn't really appeal to me. I guess a better way of putting it would be that Julius strikes me as over designed to the point where it looks contrived on some pieces. I often see Julius pieces and think they'd be so much nicer with a few less pockets or zippers or maybe a less severe drape. It strikes in a way as trying a little hard, more edge than substance possibly? I don't really know how to better explain it.

Eternal, it could very well be the lookbook/catwalk styling that puts me off a lot of it.

When it comes to MA+ and Devoa I haven't actually handled it in person, so I was probably being a little unfair.

Kuugaia, I thought your post was very interesting. I've never handled any harnden so I can't really comment on him specifically, but I do like the historical references Ann has in some of her clothing for example. One comparison that that could possibly convey a bit better what I don't like about julius is that while Ann for example certainly has a lot of gothic, dark or whatever you want to call it in her work it also has another more romantic side. She draws from the poet, artist, writer, thinke,r sometimes even warrior. Julius strikes me as just edginess/hardness and not much more, I don't really see any layers in it if that makes any sense. Sort of like someone trying so hard to look like a badass that it just looks slightly ridiculous.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that both the overarching theme of a designers work and the individual garment matters to me and for me at least julius doesn't quite deliver in either of those regards.

I was looking back through this thread actually and saw how many people don't quite "get/like" ann. I guess Julius is a bit the same for me

Comment

• kuugaia
              • Feb 2010

Well...all I can say is: Better not 'getting' something from a label, than having nothing to get at all. To each his own.

Oh and...who says people who wear Julius aren't badass! You obviously didn't see BSR...

Comment

• BSR
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post

Oh and...who says people who wear Julius aren't fat ass! You obviously didn't see BSR...
                redacted
                pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
                  Well...all I can say is: Better not 'getting' something from a label, than having nothing to get at all. To each his own.

Oh and...who says people who wear Julius aren't badass! You obviously didn't see BSR...
                  I suppose most of you won't get the reference (save for merz), but I just had to.

BSR, MikeN, and Faust in Julius leather (exacerbated by the fact that all three look like nice jewish boys)

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BSR
                    • Aug 2008

let's build a facebook group
                    pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                    Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                      let's build a facebook group
                      Jews for Julius

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jcotteri
                        • Jun 2008

macross clothing and Paul Harnden shoes
                        WTB: This

Comment

• Castor
                          • Nov 2009

ma+ reminds me of that old adage you hear an old guy say in a contemporary museum, "my kid coulda made that".
                          Originally posted by DRRRK
                          The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• swami
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Castor View Post
                            ma+ reminds me of that old adage you hear an old guy say in a contemporary museum, "my kid coulda made that".
                            But it really holds true, Just like his kid could never really have made that and made you feel what it did...
                            You really gotta touch and try MA+ on to appreciate the intensity in the simplicity , If I could afford it I would only wear MA+

Comment

• Castor
                              • Nov 2009

I understand your point and it was a self-conscious part of my statement. I've tried and touched plenty of MA+. It's just not me. I like things very finished or raw. What I am after in clothing is a high modern elegance. Somehow MA+ feels inbetweenish for me. Too artsy craftsy. Bet it looks great with Birks.
                              Originally posted by DRRRK
                              The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• swami
                                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Castor View Post
                                Bet it looks great with Birks.
                                So bitchy
                                I see RO more as laidback & modern & Ann Whimsical poetic but modern elegance?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎