• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Re: Designers/Brands You Want to Wear but Can't

[quote user="Faust"]

Yea, I don't know what's gotten into me, laika.... It's a weird combination of awesome things coming together in a short period of time.... or something. somebody stop me!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

[74]

as long as you truly love it all, just embrace it! It can't last forever...right? [66]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"][quote user="Faust"]

Yea, I don't know what's gotten into me, laika.... It's a weird combination of awesome things coming together in a short period of time.... or something. somebody stop me!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

[74]

as long as you truly love it all, just embrace it! It can't last forever...right? [66]

[/quote]

rrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. i HOPE so.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
        • Mar 2008

[quote user="laika"]

^Faust, you've become a regular shopaholic!!! [86]

kira, have you tried on much yohji? It's not for everyone, but putting it on makes a huge difference. I also think it's easier to start with the tops and the knits, like Faust said, esp. if you don't care for a lot of volume...[51]

[/quote]

no i have not a tried on much, because everytime i do, i dont feel right in the pieces. i have this skirt still. i was going to try to wear it today actually and see how i feel. it is so beautiful and full and i really want to love it and wear it but... maybe i am just not meant to wear yohji anything.[72]

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• eugenius
          • Sep 2007

Re: Designers/Brands You Want to Love but Can't

Id have to say Jean Paul Gaultier, pour homme..As much as I love his womenswear & admire the man (his work has improved significantly since his 80's heyday, while most designers seem to go stale as they get older), his menswear always disappoints me..They carried a few of his pieces at the Neimans here a while back, and the fabrics were just a little too form-fitting for me (like, tune-in-tokyo tight, if you know what I mean)..Even w/ the pieces Ive seen @ Century21, still disappointing..Just seemed a little too Eurotrash in my opinion...And the occasional man-skirts, well, as much as Id love to own one, it seems like one of those pieces Id foolishly pay good money for, just to wind up wearing one or two times before retiring it to the back of my closet..

Oh, and Thom Browne too..just because I feel, and LOOK, like an asshole in it..

Comment

• larssss
            • Jun 2008

Raf, I like some shoes, and I like the upcoming fall coats but mostly it doesn't float my boat

Comment

I'd have to say Raf, Ann, JS, CDG and McQ are brands that I definetly respect, but once I decide that i want to get something, I see too many basics, especially considering the pricetag, and i lose interest. Alot of the time I see womens wear, go to the stores see the mens wear and get disappointed to see that they saved all the creativity for the womens wear (disregarding raf and ann who aren't elaborate enough in cuts for my taste)

The only brand I feel fulfill the key garment thing is Annhagen, which alot of people find too busy looking in their lookbook, but the individual pieces are always filled with creativity. I'm quite sick of hoodies and shirts and blazers. I need polymorphic and liquid shapes.

Comment

• rach2jlc
                • Sep 2006

Issey Miyake menswear is one for that I WANT to love... but can't. The womenswear is outstanding, but the menswear never seems to ride that line between technical innovation and wearability very well. Instead (at least while Takizawa has been designing it), it often looks clownish or just plain bizarre, except on .0001% of guys who could actually pull off the look.

I also agree with the aforementioned Costume National... I really think it looks great on the runway, and yet when I try on individual pieces, there is always something about it that is... off. Weird fabric, or some strange cut that makes it uncomfortable/look odd, buttons that are on backwards, etc. Perhaps this is one reason why CN has so much on Yoox and discounters after the sales?

Finally... Thom Browne. Taking away the goofy theatricals of the runway, the pared-down basics are something that SHOULD fit very well with my wardrobe, and yet something about the whole thing (and perhaps Thom himself) just makes me walk away and have absolutely no interest.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Absolutely agreed on Miyake!
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• snafu
                    • Apr 2008

how i have longed to wear dsquared [^o)]

Comment

• Avantster
                      ¤¤¤
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="rach2jlc"]

Issey Miyake menswear is one for that I WANT to love... but can't. The womenswear is outstanding, but the menswear never seems to ride that line between technical innovation and wearability very well. Instead (at least while Takizawa has been designing it), it often looks clownish or just plain bizarre, except on .0001% of guys who could actually pull off the look.

I also agree with the aforementioned Costume National... I really think it looks great on the runway, and yet when I try on individual pieces, there is always something about it that is... off. Weird fabric, or some strange cut that makes it uncomfortable/look odd, buttons that are on backwards, etc. Perhaps this is one reason why CN has so much on Yoox and discounters after the sales?

Finally... Thom Browne. Taking away the goofy theatricals of the runway, the pared-down basics are something that SHOULD fit very well with my wardrobe, and yet something about the whole thing (and perhaps Thom himself) just makes me walk away and have absolutely no interest.

[/quote]

Seconded on the Miyake menswear as well. Sometimes the fabrics are really fantastic only to be let down by an odd cut or strange proportions. Other times it's the opposite with a weird fabric or garish color. I have trouble imagining his typical menswear customer, too.

And welcome back, John!

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Horse
                        • Aug 2008

Miyake for sure... I've actually been buying pieces from Pleats Please instead!

Balenciaga. Everything is too damn small!

Comment

• rach2jlc
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Avantster"]

Seconded on the Miyake menswear as well. Sometimes the fabrics are really fantastic only to be let down by an odd cut or strange proportions. Other times it's the opposite with a weird fabric or garish color. I have trouble imagining his typical menswear customer, too.

And welcome back, John!

[/quote]

Thanks!

Yes, I visited Miyake's flagship store in Tokyo this summer, just to see if things had changed, but it was more of the same (for men, at least). Some really neat items, but cut very strangely or with such strange treatments to the fabric (they had this one heavily coated denim that seemed VERY heavy and without any breathability) that I couldn't imagine actually wearing the thing outside. Even the accessories had that weird element of "just how on earth would I actually put this thing to USE???" whether because of an oddly positioned strap or zipper, or a strange material, etc.

Nevertheless, I dont' get the vibe that they are trying to be overly conceptual with the garments (meaning that they are making conceptual art pieces (((like the old Chalayan collections))))... so, again, just for WHOM are they making men's clothing?

Comment

• Diego
                            • Aug 2007

Avantindietro.

Comment

• Magician
                              • Jul 2008

I have to second McQueen. I really love his runway stuff, and a lot of it does seem very wearable, but any time I see something actually for sale, I just think why the hell is this $700?
                              Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• kunk75
                                Banned
                                • May 2008

burberry prorsum, ann d (sorry my fellow members) and dries van noten.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎