X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • STEALTH
    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Ivans On High View Post
    I did explain that I only used Darklands as an example, as it is the only European store I have dealt with which does not have prices which exclude VAT for orders outside the EU.

I just wanted some clarification, and after initially emailing Darklands on the matter I was met with an extremely rude response, so thought I would ask here instead.

And you are right, as far as I see it, that a store doesn't have to offer the item tax free. But if they don't they are acting as a tax agent and the tax is payable to the government obviously. It is, however, not so far out there to assume there may be stores, who after processing the sale, will use the international invoice to recoup the VAT. Of course we could just keep our heads in the sand and pretend like everyone is honest...

edit: It also appears, through this discussion, that this would be a worthwhile topic to add to the Inane Questions thread - once we work out the VAT system that is.

Maybe someone should contact the German tax authorities to enquire ?

: )
    https://www.facebook.com/Marc.Stealth.Kaos

Comment

• Sombre
      • Jan 2009

People love burning bridges around here, don't they? Ivans on High, if the tone of your email to Darklands was anything like that of your initial post in this thread, I have to say I'm not surprised you received a rude response. It may be a legitimate concern, but asking if someone is cheating you is not the way to address it. I wish people had more tact.
      An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
      I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• btbam
        • Nov 2008

The tax system is quite simple (The basics of it )
        But at the end of the day campbell can run his business how he wants, he chooses not to offer the VAT discount but instead offer very competitive pricing.

If he charges the Tax, then he pays that tax. If he doesn't and chooses to run his business that way(i in no way believe he does) - thats his personal choice and has nothing to do with anyone here. He offers a great product an amazing service and very good pricing.

I am in the exact same situation and have looked into it quite heavily.
        Australian GST is only half of the VAT - but for me to hire someone on the side working 5 days a week to maintain and organize international shipping - my store would not exist.
        Campbell has done extremely well with Darklands. Something i as a sole business owner doing everything myself admire greatly.
        Last edited by btbam; 10-20-2009, 11:06 PM.
        Never End, Australia.
        http://www.neverend.com.au
        General Contact: Info@neverend.com.au
        Urgent contact: Joseph@neverend.com.au
        Phone: +61 421 406 272

Comment

• stereophobic
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by btbam View Post
          but for me to have a tax accountant on the side working 5 days a week to maintain and organize international shipping - my store would not exist.
          This is so true wrt Australian tax accountants.
          An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.

Comment

• Ivans On High
            Banned
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
            People love burning bridges around here, don't they? Ivans on High, if the tone of your email to Darklands was anything like that of your initial post in this thread, I have to say I'm not surprised you received a rude response. It may be a legitimate concern, but asking if someone is cheating you is not the way to address it. I wish people had more tact.
            As I have already discussed, my first port of call was to email Campbell regarding VAT. My email was perfectly civil, merely asking if VAT is included in their prices and if I, being in Australia, am entitled to a discount of the value of the VAT.

And as I have also discussed, using Darklands in my 'theory' of VAT fraud was purely arbitrary. If I had said yoox would you have a problem?

edit: Change of subject please? Anyone?

Comment

• STEALTH
              • Feb 2008

To all you Nimrods who had a problem with this guy

"Accusing" anyone of pocketing money

He WAS SIMPLY ASKING A QUESTION

Are you unable to READ ????!"!!!
              Last edited by STEALTH; 10-21-2009, 12:16 AM. Reason: the truth is out there , I do not have to be the bearer
              https://www.facebook.com/Marc.Stealth.Kaos

Comment

• random
                • Dec 2007

my best VAT experience with European shops came from Pollyanna. They didnt only exclude the VAT at the time you checked out, but they would also mail the invoice seprately, which was perfect. (oh Eastern Market does that too, and their service is fantastic).
                I don't exist.

Comment

• munch
                  • Aug 2008

I'm curious to if this is legal to do? never heard of this before actually... :~o

edit: missed Campbell's (I assume?) post. hmm... prices are great on Darklands anyway

Comment

• theaddict
                    • Apr 2008

Wow...people, friends, fellow SZler, lets cool the heat, lets not get this out of hand!

Yes Ivans first post could be taken offensive, but i will cut him a slack, maybe he just chose the wrong words. Of course its nothing wrong with it to ask this question, the only thing is that it happened several times ONLY in a short period of time in the last month, and obviously several times from the same persons who seem to just ignore an answer and ask again and again...
                    Faust is correct, its not mandatory to offer this service. I am sure Polyanna is doing a great job doing it, but i am also sure that Polyanna, taken the pics i have seen from their shop, is NOT a one man store where hobo (sorry for using you in this post mate, but someone mentioned Polyanna and i just want to give an example) is selling stuff on the floor, managing the online orders, packing stuff, running to the post office on the bike with 6 packages, running to the f... German customs office to get packages that were sent back (and believe me, German customs are the toughest in the world, i have to go there for a lousy Tshirt), keeping the bills clear, going to Paris and Milan to order and so on (thanks Btbam for showing your perspective on this which is similar to campbells)
                    Darklands is sizewise not Atelier or Lift or Polyanna, but it has been around only 2 years and it has become one of the big players regardless the above written.

I understand that people want their stuff cheaper (i also do and i also try to barter, here on SZ at least), but i think what frustrates a shop owner like Campbell who is working his ass off is that he offers top notch designer goods for a superduper competitive price, compared to ANY other major shop in the world, offers free shipping worldwide, which summa summarum makes the product like 15%(just guessed the number roughly) cheaper than in the states or Japan and then he gets these mails about how to do it even cheaper( to like 30% off). I know its the financial crisis (though it seems to be over?), and i know that only a few people are ballers who dont have to care about money(me not included!), but i think this kind of "i want it cheaper and cheaper" mentality (or better: the impression of it since i dont want to accuse somebody here individually) is what frustrates people like Campbell. I mean you guys cannot imagine what kind of odd offers Campbell gets sometimes...
                    So i say, cut him a slack, lets get back to peace. If he decides to offer VAT exemption in the future, great, if not, great. Then people who dont want to pay the VAT should just shop at other stores. I know its only a few people and i dont think it would in any way harm the business so we could all live happily till the end of our days.

So ChristianeF stay, Ivan and truuscan peace, jcotteri love, stealth we read together, Faust peace, and all the others....SPREAD THE LOVE!!!
                    Last edited by theaddict; 10-21-2009, 01:33 AM.
                    Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• random
                      • Dec 2007

I definitely respect and appreciate that darklands/komakino (and many other stores) are bringing up great stuff at great prices. and despite only having limited experience with selling personal stuff online, i understand that it is a tough job, not to say that you guys have to take such high risks to make store purhcases, in such a tough situation when the economy is so fucked up. I mentioned the pollyanna VAT experience just because I was very satisfied and happy with it and would like to share. It was not related to or aimed at any of the above posts regarding to the darklands case.

But I do feel sometimes it is not that people really care too much about some further 5% or so discount such as VAT or things like that. It is that people sometimes would assume (right or wrong, anyways most people are not tax experts) that things like VAT exemption are their entitlement that should be taken care of by the stores. If stores mark low value or mail invoice seprately so that their customers are less likely to be hit by custom duties, thats great. If they dont, thats a little disappointing, but still totally fine. People can understand that. But the VAT thing might be a bit different. Lets say it this way, it is like you start a $.99 auction on ebay, but overcharged like $3 on shipping. It is a $0.99 auction so buyers bid up to the total amount including shipping that they think is a good price, so why would they care too much about the slightly overcharged shipping? But the fact is people do care about it. people are sensitive to it. It sometimes makes peopel feel like that their money is pocketed secretly that way, which is not too good im afraid. I understand that for most stores which dont do the VAT thing too well are just having troubles with the procedure rather than having the intention to "pocket the VAT money", but customers might think differently, sometimes. just my two cents thoughts.
                      Last edited by random; 10-21-2009, 10:56 AM.
                      I don't exist.

Comment

• jcotteri
                        • Jun 2008

always love SA always love..
                        WTB: This

Comment

• fenrost
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2009

Perhaps, Campbell should just raise the pricing same as Japan or in Australia, use the most lucrative shipping, perhaps.. excluding VAT will sound more reasonable.

Since we like to lowballing, I think it's fair he should just raise the price anyway.
                          Last edited by fenrost; 10-21-2009, 02:51 AM.

Comment

• quiet noise
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2008

Anyone who has handed both versions of the obscur ss08 jacket (prototype and never end) who can confirm if the sleeves are actually shorter on the nvrend version?the pictures i have seen has given me that impression.

Comment

• Darklands
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
                              His initial communication was to ask, three times in different wording each time, a question that he full well knew the answer to. He has purchased in Darklands before so knew before asking it the first time, that we do not deduct VAT.

I agree with Faust, if one is so against paying a tax (and I wonder if these people are so diligent about paying import duties, something we go to great lengths to insure they will not) then they certainly have an option to shop elsewhere.

Given that August was our best month in the 6 year history of the company and now October is about to break the record set in August - I can only assume that there are a lot of people out there that have no problem with our prices.

Comment

• Ivans On High
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2008

You just couldn't let it go could you Campbell? I have the emails if you want to go down that path. And the fact that I have purchased from Darklands before means nil - this whole VAT thing is something I hadn't considered before; nor is it something made particularly clear on your site. It's not as if I asked you to refund me the VAT on the past purchases.

And, AGAIN, this is not about your prices. It is about shedding some light on VAT for buyers outside the EU. So why don't you get off your high-horse and help us out?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎