X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beardown
    rekoner
    • Feb 2009

Can someone please explain the physics of shoe/boot sizing?
    When I buy either, apparently the pair travel through some 5th dimension before they end up on my feet.
    Take this case for example: I'm generally a 10.5-11. And granted boot sizing varies but my actual foot measures just about 28 cm. Some of my best fitting footwear has an outsole of about 31-31.5.

I was looking into a pair of size 4 julius boots that apparently have an outsole of 32.5 cm and approximate insole of 30 cm. The seller says they're best for a US size 12 or 12.5 and per Julius footwear, I believe that to be fairly accurate.

So in theory, if my foot is 28 or 29 cm and the inner sole is approx. 30 cm and the outsole is 32.5 cm, wouldn't these fit me with an insole?

But the idea of wearing a shoe that someone claims is best for a 12.5 U.S. seems ridiculous to me as someone who can wear 10.5 in most shoes/boots.
    I need to crack the metaphysical mystery going on with my feet.
    I know all too well the problem with the desire to kop vs. the reality of physics but what part of the equation seems off?
    Originally posted by mizzar
    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

Can't explain the physics (don't think this is physics either), but you can't generally correct 2 full sizes with an insole. Half a size, sure. A full size with an insole, heel pad and tongue pad probably. Two sizes, no.

I think the problem is that the insole doesn't, you know, shorten or narrow the boot. So your foot floats around lost. You need to find a size 3. Maybe a size 2, but somehow I doubt it.

Also, tell me where the size 4s are!
      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

the shape of the heel and in particular the toe box can have a pretty big effect on the sizing, if the tip is very pointy it makes a bigger difference, but even if the toe box is typically round, the height and how far forward compared to the sole it extends.

case study:

left shoe outsole 30cm, right shoe 33cm

both fit a 28cm foot perfectly, the right one is very pointy which deducts a good 2cm of space, plus its very low and curved upwards, so its the equivalent of 30cm in a rounder and higher toebox.
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Nikov
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by random View Post
          i have ordered from oki-ni for about 5~6 times and I was never able to run away from custom charges. Expect your custom duty bill about 2-3 weeks after you get your purchased stuff. Its like 20% of the retail price. I would stay away unless they have got great stuff exclusively available there or some super deal.
          so...

i ended up ordering a pair of RO combat boots from oki-ni but it turns out that the one they are selling is a "waxy mohawk" leather (item no. RU 4862 LWM), which is not what I was after. I am specifically looking for the elk leather boots (item no. RU 4862 LE) so I will be returning these. I was not aware that he made the same style of boots in two different leathers this season.

My question is whether or not I will still have to pay the customs bill (which I have not received but expect to). Is there a way of notifying the customs office that I am returning the goods? I have to ship the boots back to oki-ni within 14 days and I may not receive by customs duty bill by then. What can I do now to have some proof that I returned the boots when the bill arrives later?

Comment

• sshum88
            • Dec 2007

Not sure if I can help you with the physics either but doesn't it still come down to the length and width at the toe box and heel? I've measured my foot to be 27.9cm and wear 10-10.5 US or 42 EU normally. Outsoles will vary somewhat across all your footwear and like one of the previous posters pointed out, it will be different for those pairs which have turned up toe boxes.

I have a narrow heel and my overall foot is narrow so the last of the shoe/boot is very important for a good fit. Anytime I try on something a half size bigger, an insole will only work if the heel is narrow enough...otherwise my heel slips and it feels too sloppy.

The last time I tried on some Julius combat boots, I believe they were size 2 so I think a 4 is way too big.

Originally posted by beardown View Post
            When I buy either, apparently the pair travel through some 5th dimension before they end up on my feet.
            Take this case for example: I'm generally a 10.5-11. And granted boot sizing varies but my actual foot measures just about 28 cm. Some of my best fitting footwear has an outsole of about 31-31.5.

I was looking into a pair of size 4 julius boots that apparently have an outsole of 32.5 cm and approximate insole of 30 cm. The seller says they're best for a US size 12 or 12.5 and per Julius footwear, I believe that to be fairly accurate.

So in theory, if my foot is 28 or 29 cm and the inner sole is approx. 30 cm and the outsole is 32.5 cm, wouldn't these fit me with an insole?

But the idea of wearing a shoe that someone claims is best for a 12.5 U.S. seems ridiculous to me as someone who can wear 10.5 in most shoes/boots.
            I know all too well the problem with the desire to kop vs. the reality of physics but what part of the equation seems off?
            Originally posted by eat me
            If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by beardown View Post

you and i are the same size and you need a julius 3. class dismissed.
              LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• mononon
                • Sep 2009

are rick owen's horse leather jackets more expensive than the lambskin or other leathers? and is it worth it if it is considerably more expensive (older season...)

thanks

also, what are your opinions on this?

too bikerish?
                Last edited by mononon; 10-30-2009, 01:28 PM.
                calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• munch
                  • Aug 2008

do julius make any leather belts? I was hoping to get one in that dark red 'blood' color.

Comment

• croatoan
                    • Jul 2007

They have long made leather belts, but nothing in the blood color.

Comment

• munch
                      • Aug 2008

damn... thanks.
                      are there any designers that makes some really deep/dark red leather belts? I don't wish to pay for CCP prices though...

Comment

• huckleberry
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Eternal
                        Anyone who knows how much the current Ann D Knitted wool "robe" retails for? I did not check it when I tried it on a few months ago, and as far as I know, no online stores ordered it ( or at least not in stock anymore).
                        I think its around $1400, at least in the uk, it was £900 at browns before it sold out

Comment

• Catfood
                          • Oct 2008

Is the sizing on the Ann triple buckle sneakers one size bigger like most other Ann footwear?

Comment

• ardeetee
                            • Apr 2007

haven't tried on the triple buckle sneakers yet, but ann's sneakers generally run true to size, it's her boots that run ~1 size large

Comment

• eris quod sum
                              • Jun 2009

Julius MA

I posted in MA thread, but haven't really had response. I was told that the sizing is really small (3 in MA ~ 1 in Julius) it was from a reliable source, but I was looking for opinions of those who have purchased from the MA line... mostly outerwear, I know the basics are ridiculously slim.

Comment

• Davie
                                • Nov 2007

I'm looking to get some basic black jeans and looking at some Raf Simons ones on yoox. Does anyone know how the sizes run on these jeans? I'm a usually a 30, 29 in 19cm Dior, 30 in Drkshdw Detroit. I'm thinking of sizing up on these Rafs to 31 or 32.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎