X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

I had this conversation with house_of_dis the other day. I know he has stopped. So have I. Don't get me wrong, I wish the label all the best and I am not bitter about Ann being replaced. I just don't see anything that appeals enough for me to open my wallet. With the exception of the last women's season, I don't think Sebastian is doing bad work. Critically, I have liked the collections. They are just not for me anymore.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Defender
      Banned
      • Jan 2015

I know that it's business, and a lot of artists aren't business savvy, but doesn't it mark a complete lack of integrity to allow your name to be stitched onto clothes you had no part in designing/manufacturing? That is the textbook definition of selling out.

I know she's not the only one, which is why I'd ask in wtf instead of her design thread, but to me it seems like an insult to the people who supported her for so long. I guess if you're a fan you just chalk it up to Ann being paid a lot of money for doing nothing, and so good for her.

It's almost the same as the Balmain x H+M crossover, really. Either way it's selling your name and slapping it on bullshit that even hardcore fans abandon after only a couple seasons.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Things are much more complicated than that, Defender. Something tells me she did not own the majority of her company by the time she decided to retire.

Also, on a human level, it is a business, with some employees who have been there for years, building it up. It's not easy to just dissolve the thing. Look at Yohji.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Defender View Post
          I know that it's business, and a lot of artists aren't business savvy, but doesn't it mark a complete lack of integrity to allow your name to be stitched onto clothes you had no part in designing/manufacturing? That is the textbook definition of selling out.

I know she's not the only one, which is why I'd ask in wtf instead of her design thread, but to me it seems like an insult to the people who supported her for so long. I guess if you're a fan you just chalk it up to Ann being paid a lot of money for doing nothing, and so good for her.

It's almost the same as the Balmain x H+M crossover, really. Either way it's selling your name and slapping it on bullshit that even hardcore fans abandon after only a couple seasons.

this is not so simple
          if that was the case then you'd have all these businesses that are valued at millions of dollars dying with the death/ retirement of the founding designer. not something that can be good for a large business
          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Vervain
            • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Crowzer View Post
            More than 500 peoples spent the night to wait the opening at H&M Regent Street...
            In copenhagen I saw a couple of kids camping in front of H&M tuesday. They were obviously skipping school too...

Comment

• Defender
              Banned
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by zamb View Post
              this is not so simple
              if that was the case then you'd have all these businesses that are valued at millions of dollars dying with the death/ retirement of the founding designer. not something that can be good for a large business
              I think of it differently. Pablo Picasso's paintings stopped being made when he died. There is a huge corporation that now slaps his art on everything with licensing deals, and etc.

However, they don't put out new paintings and sign them Pablo Picasso.

To me that's a big difference.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                Vegan Police
                • Sep 2011

The only stores that are being built here are Dollar General stores. Every small village (500-1000 residents) in Illinois or Wisconsin is suddenly getting a Dollar General as the only store in town. This is worse than WalMart quality, and the people are happy.
                Ah! I know this all so well. Back home where I'm originally from, all the local groceries are being replaced with dollar stores, and then giant supermarkets are being put in random no-man's-land where everyone is forced to drive out of their way to get some low-quality basic groceries.

The hallmark of quality there is L.L. Bean XD

Originally posted by En. View Post
                Yes, that was the initial argument. Two different popular artists; one fits, the other doesn't. It makes sense to use PJ for celebrity endorsement but not Rocky.

Rocky is a part of my tastes so that's not the case.
                PJ Harvey has been wearing Ann for many many years. She also does not sing about who she's currently wearing.

Rocky is a person of trends, constantly changing the designers he wears and his image will change as he does so. With PJ this is not the case. She has a relationship with Ann. Rocky turned around and bashed designers he used to wear, which is unnecessary and flat out rude. "HBA shit is weak, you can keep that,"

The difference lies in a level of taste and maturity.
                Last edited by Ahimsa; 11-05-2015, 05:26 PM.
                StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• t-bone
                  • Dec 2009

But he's been wearing Ann for at least 3 years...

It’s no secret that Harlem rap artist A$AP Rocky likes to push the envelope with his fashion sense. When he and his crew of A$APs first came onto the scene, some members were criticized because they painted their fingernails and wore tight jeans. Rocky himself even rapped “Yeah, clothes get weirder, money get longer, pretty […]

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

I think of it differently. Pablo Picasso's paintings stopped being made when he died. There is a huge corporation that now slaps his art on everything with licensing deals, and etc.

However, they don't put out new paintings and sign them Pablo Picasso.

To me that's a big difference.
                    Yes but you are making a comparison of false equivalents here.
                    The success of Picasso and the nature of his paintings were that you were paying a large sum of money for a painting made by his own hand and as such when he died he ceased to paint.

With clothing not so. The closest comparison in clothing would be a tailor or a couturier who sews the garments themselves.The capacity to produce original work dies with the death of the individual

Designer fashion today is of such that the designer gives or has an idea. They do not make their own patterns, nor do they do their own production. Its like BMW that makes cars every several years with the BMW emblem and characteristics that makes it uniquely BMW.
                    Ready to wear fashion is closer to auto manufacturing than it is to painting by an artist
                    Last edited by zamb; 11-05-2015, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• Defender
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2015

Ok I can get with that explanation.

I guess they still call Fords Ford after Henry died.

It's just a shame that lesser designs have her name on it. If only they could have named the company something else when she stopped, but what's in a name?

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

It's just a shame that lesser designs have her name on it. If only they could have named the company something else when she stopped, but what's in a name?
                        That's what I asked!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Defender
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2015

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

When it comes to Fashion I am closer to Picasso than Yeezy.......

Comment

• Lex1017
                              • Jul 2015

Honestly, this kind of rush to buy collaborations at shit stores and clothing by shit "designers" like Kanye is good for the type of fashion we seem to be into.

Any time the masses devour more garbage, it becomes more elite to prefer artisan products.

This is not like McDonald's suddenly offering filet mignon...It's like McDonald's offering the same burgers with a wrapper designed by Balmain.

It does nothing more than lower another brand into the shit heap, leaving fewer elite designers on the mountaintop.

It's like what a photographer friend of mine said about how everyone can take pictures with a cell phone or cheap dslr photographers offering free sessions for experience these days: "My competition is not a guy with a cell phone. If a potential client wants a free photo taken by a guy with a camera phone, then he was never going to be my client."

The Kanye collection should be right up your alley if you like these brands just because they are "elite". I'm sorry as you may have used the wrong wording or meant something else, but if you like anything on this planet just because it is elite, you are a tasteless person (fuckface is the word I want to use but I am not referring to you specifically, more general) . I feel like a broken record but, like what you like BECAUSE YOU GENUINELY LIKE IT. If you want to show your elitism get an HBA forehead tat.

Comment

• zamb
                                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Lex1017 View Post
                                The Kanye collection should be right up your alley if you like these brands just because they are "elite". I'm sorry as you may have used the wrong wording or meant something else, but if you like anything on this planet just because it is elite, you are a tasteless person (fuckface is the word I want to use but I am not referring to you specifically, more general) . I feel like a broken record but, like what you like BECAUSE YOU GENUINELY LIKE IT. If you want to show your elitism get an HBA forehead tat.
                                there is a difference between likening something because its "elite" than to simply practice elitism. the elite necessarily exist because they are genuinely better than others in some capacity and acts as a source of inspiration and aspiration to others

elitism is something else, to behave as if you or those you regard as more important or valuable are the only persons/ things that matter

I like elite things, which is why I wear only carpe diem or Carol footwear as in terms of quality and aesthetic among artisanal brands I consider those to be elite. I surely don't want footwear from some crap house that dont matter........

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎