X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrokenBoards
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
    Yeah as you've mentioned before I can't say I even see Rick out in the wild more than a few times a year in downtown Manhattan.
    How many of the ubiquitous army green tote shoppers do you spot around town though? I think I counted three getting off of one subway car at an 'L' stop the other night.
    "I would use lard if it came in a pretty bottle."

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

That's the SZ secret handshake.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ES3K
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Discernible only to a certain niche group of connoisseurs. A BBS string is not a Burberry plaid, not even Margiela's four stitches. Completely different things.
        I tend to disagree. If you "show off", you always have a target audience in mind, most likely the social circle you are living in (or coming from or want to get in) -- that a BBS string is recognized by 1 out of 100,000 people and a Hermes "H" belt by 50,000 doesn't make it any better, because of the elitist brainfuck attitude even slightly worse.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ES3K View Post
          I tend to disagree. If you "show off", you always have a target audience in mind, most likely the social circle you are living in (or coming from or want to get in) -- that a BBS string is recognized by 1 out of 100,000 people and a Hermes "H" belt by 50,000 doesn't make it any better, because of the elitist brainfuck attitude even slightly worse.
          Well, by your rationale designers should just stop designing, because someone somewhere will always recognize it.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• newp
            • Feb 2013

Discernible only to a certain niche group of connoisseurs. A BBS string is not a Burberry plaid, not even Margiela's four stitches. Completely different things.
            I was referring more like to even more niche pieces (or not?) like m.a+ biker/aviator cut or RO blazer sleeves, or some certain YY pants cuts or PH wrinkly fabric or CCP dead ends or titanium inserts. And yes, those who are able to recognize it are limited. Which isn't a bad thing at all in my opinion.

... and I have remembered this story about BBS hearing aid device again.

Comment

• ES3K
              • Oct 2008

Haha, no -- my point is that anyone who cares about his outfit/watches/cars/furniture/art etc probably likes it to be recognized as something special, by someone. The group who does know BBS is quite small, but in a way it remains posing and ego boosting, which is fine. It's elitist, next level show-off for a niche audience. But I don't criticize it, I just wanted to say that a BBS string is not so much different from Dsquared written in bold gold letters, it's just another social circle. And, of course, a different taste and style.

Comment

• darkbydesign
                • Sep 2010

^^It's easy to think this way because that's the obvious explanation for people with egos.

Some people might simply like BBS because BBS makes amazing artisan clothing with extreme detail and might just be buying the clothing because it's like art and they may not give a shit what other people think or if it makes them feel special. They might just like the clothing for what it is and think it's worth the money.

I personally don't have a problem with D^2 wearers or BBS wearers but I do think they are two different breeds. D^2 is way more commercial though some people might be wearing the double D because of personal reasons too. Assuming people are wearing clothing just to make themselves feel special and/or because they like the attention of others in a social circle is sometimes true, but not always.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ES3K View Post
                  Haha, no -- my point is that anyone who cares about his outfit/watches/cars/furniture/art etc probably likes it to be recognized as something special, by someone. The group who does know BBS is quite small, but in a way it remains posing and ego boosting, which is fine. It's elitist, next level show-off for a niche audience. But I don't criticize it, I just wanted to say that a BBS string is not so much different from Dsquared written in bold gold letters, it's just another social circle. And, of course, a different taste and style.
                  What if it's finding community in understanding of the product's ethos? That's why I started SZ. Should I shut it down just because other people appreciate what I appreciate and that, yes, I derive satisfaction in communing with like-minded people? So, commonality in taste automatically means exclusion and elitism to you? What nonsense.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
                    • Jun 2009

I think you ar eboth right at the same time, both these motivations exist in people who seek "finer things" (for lack of a better generalising term), it's just the way it is

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by galia View Post
                      I think you ar eboth right at the same time, both these motivations exist in people who seek "finer things" (for lack of a better generalising term), it's just the way it is
                      I agree, and my point was to bring some balance to this one sided, knee-jerk accusations of elitism. Still, I would wager that in our world the reason for buying clothes as status marker is much less pronounced. Usually, people who want validation, want it from the most number of people. So, I would still say a BBS string is not a Hermes belt buckle.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Lex1017
                        • Jul 2015

I agree, and my point was to bring some balance to this one sided, knee-jerk accusations of elitism. Still, I would wager that in our world the reason for buying clothes as status marker is much less pronounced. Usually, people who want validation, want it from the most number of people. So, I would still say a BBS string is not a Hermes belt buckle.
                        I am new here and this topic keeps coming up. Are people here because WEARING EXPENSIVE CLOTHING MAKES YOU BETTER!!! or, because the creation of clothing (anything really) is awesome and If I have to pay more because it is someones life's work to make the best clothing they could possibly make I don't mind and respect the fuck out of that. It boggles my mind how many people think price correlates 100% to quality/craftsmanship. I've been to flea markets with small cubicles where people are making hand made jewelry/accessories but selling them for affordable prices. Is that persons work and dedication worth less because they are just trying to make ends meet? No. Is that jewelry any less interesting or appealing just because the price is low. No. Now I am not saying this is the case for every hippy on the street selling beaded necklaces, and I know quality of material and what not factor into it, but the process of making something still has dedication and devotion behind it. That's what I came here to learn more about.

Comment

• MJRH
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Lex1017 View Post
                          Is that jewelry any less interesting or appealing just because the price is low.
                          Yes. Since you mentioned jewelry, please see diamonds.

Faust, the exception to validation by the majority is niche movements that attract anyone disaffected by society-at-large: rockers in the 50s, punks in the 70s, etc.—so, mostly youth. I'd say that today, the internet provides more access to this kinda niche than anything else, and there are clearly cases where younger folks took to sz in a similar manner, 'dressing to impress' in the waywt. But the fact that the reaction to them was at times somewhat, um, less than kind, demonstrates that by and large people don't really do that here.

Now, if you want to know what every single person here is guilty of...
                          ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Yeah, jewelry is a special case, because so much of its value is perceived, it becomes mostly about market positioning.

Anyway, I just find it really fucking annoying when people come in here and trying to paint everyone with the same consumerist brush and disregards things of intangible, cultural values that we hold dear.

Yeah, some people wear Rick to show off, and others don't. I like talking to those others.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jumpoff
                              • Jan 2008

if anyone is wondering what to do with all those cotton dust bags

Comment

• Nickefuge
                                • Nov 2014

I admit I´ve thought about it before ... might just do it as my girlfriend and I gathered enough of them and our friends/families won´t take any (more.
                                "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                                -Paris Hilton

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎