• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: LOST

Since I got the PS3, I went back to watching stupid movies that look good - epic failure. Watched the House of Flying Daggers - truly gorgeous and mind numbing. Also 3:10 to Yuma, which I thought wasn't bad (although not believable by the end, but it's a Western, so belief is not required). Also watched Elizabeth - how did it get nominated for 7 Oscars?! [72]
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Diego
      • Aug 2007

[quote user="Faust"] Watched the House of Flying Daggers - truly gorgeous and mind numbing.
      [/quote]</p>

Theres a lot of good releases on blu-ray but I did buy Yimou's Curse of the golden flower... big mistake, soap opera with good visuals.</p>

Comment

• soultek
        • Feb 2007

Zoolander

watching a SZ classic: Zoolander.</p>

</p>

You guys seen Derelicte SS09 yet??</p>

</p>

Comment

• Nullsleep
          • May 2008

Re: Zoolander

Gonzo, the documentary about Hunter S. Thompson just opened recently. I saw this when it premiered at SXSW and I'd highly recommend it. I'm planning to see it again.

Comment

• kira
            • Mar 2008

Last night:</p>

American Psycho</p>

Ferris Bueller's Day Off [74]</p>
            Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• maldoror
              • Jun 2007

Ondemand Fanny and Alexander HD (wtf?). Best rainy sunday ever.</p>

P.S. Any horror fans here? Required viewing:</p>

</p>

EDIT: Available on domestic dvd as "Inside"
              </p>

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="maldoror"]

Ondemand Fanny and Alexander HD (wtf?). Best rainy sunday ever.</p>

[/quote]</p>

It must be Christmas time in Sweden.
                </p>
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cpaik
                  • Nov 2007

[quote user="Servo2000"][quote user="Huxley"][quote user="Faust"]

I am the only person in the world who thinks that the Kaufman brothers suck.</p>

On a separate negative note, I actually want to go to the movies this weekend, and I can't find anything worthwhile playing. Help.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Wall-E
                  </p>

[/quote]</p>

I'm an enormous Pixar fan and I'm really excited to see this. Reviews look impeccable but I thought that Ratatouille played better with the critics than it actually was, although the art and direction was spectacular. I highly recommend The Art of Ratatouille (or any of the Pixar-related art books), especially if you're an illustration nerd like me.</p>

edit: another good one was the art book for Open Season. I heard the movie was weak but it's an interesting look at applying strong 2D design to 3d environments. I wish the film had looked more like Eyvind Earle's work (which they reference constantly) but it looked pretty decent anyway.</p>

[/quote]

I really enjoyed Wall-E, but then again I may be biased since I've worked for Pixar the last two summers. Oddly enough, my older sister wrote the Art of Ratatouille (she works at Pixar full time) as well as a number of other Pixar books. It was quite an amazing experience working there, I have to say.</p>

</p>

On a movie note, I watched Wanted, and it was a fun summer movie. Nothing amazing, but a good thrill ride.
                  </p>

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

/\ whoa, that's awesome! tell us more!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cpaik
                      • Nov 2007

Sure thing Faust!</p>

</p>

I'm currently a rising Senior in college, so for the past two summers, I've worked in the Development department at Pixar. I got the job through my sister, who's been working there for about 7-8 years in Development. She's written the Art of Ratatouille as well as To Infinity and Beyond (the story about Pixar).</p>

</p>

It's really an amazing place--the Pixar campus is a great open space with basketball courts, a swimming pool, a soccer field, a gym, etc. all the accoutrements of a creative work environment. As you enter the main building, you're met by the Atrium, which is just an enormous open space in the middle of the building. It's a place for people to mingle and meet/talk or eat. There's the Luxo Cafe to the left, the Pixar employee store to the right and a relaxation area next to it with pool tables, ping pong, air hockey, foosball and a small arcade featuring the latest Pixar games.</p>

</p>

Upstairs, there are wings that show various artwork of movies and the process of idea to execution. Beyond those are great glass doors that lead to the work spaces of Pixar. The animation department is by far the coolest workspace I've ever seen. Animators customize their offices, turning them into whatever they want. One person works in a small house, one turned his office into a lounge, another knocked a hole in the wall and has the shark from Finding Nemo busting in. There's even a full bar/band setup for entertainment. It's really something else.</p>

</p>

Working at Pixar made me realize that I'm not cut out for boring jobs. I really want to be somewhere where I can flex my creativity and show my true potential. It was a fantastic experience and I have to give Pixar credit for shaping and channeling a lot of my creative endeavors today.
                      </p>

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Damn, I'm jealous. Always wanted to work in a company that produces real things. [Y] Hopefully you can land a full time job there when you graduate.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cpaik
                          • Nov 2007

Interestingly enough, I don't think I'd want to work there when I graduate. I mean, I think I could probably keep it in the back of my mind, but I'd prefer to be more entrepreneurial. Right now I'm working at a startup in Silicon Valley, and I have my eyes set on starting my own company before I graduate. Worse comes to worst, I have great business experience. Best case scenario, I'm obscenely rich in my early 20's and can fund this clothing habit I have. I would love to work at a place like IDEO or any advertising firm like W+K or Saatchi and Saatchi. I'm also interested in niche boutique firms like Fahrenheit 212. All in all, I have a lot of figuring out to do, as all my friends have their own i-banking jobs lined up for 2009.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I worked next door to a Saatchi and Saatchi building for two years. One block from the upcoming Atelier location. [Y]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• klangspiel
                              • Apr 2007

[quote user="Nullsleep"]Gonzo, the documentary about Hunter S. Thompson just opened recently. I saw this when it premiered at SXSW and I'd highly recommend it. I'm planning to see it again.
                              [/quote]

</p>

well, i certainly hope it'll be better than the previous hst documentary, "buy the ticket, take the ride". that one was too much of an eulogy for my liking.</p>

right now, i'm in love with the dame's voice
                              </p>

</p>

Comment

• B.S
                                • Nov 2007

twin peaks vs fire walk with me

so, any of you guys seen the twin peaks-series? i watched fire walk with me 1,5 years ago, and then twin peaks.. didnt work that well, so i'm re-watching twin peaks, and when i'm done, i'll re-watch fire walk with me too.. mmmm.. i love david lynch.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎