• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jskidder1
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by BSR View Post
    well i don't think it is quality that is questionable with this brand
    yes, that's been discussed to death. i guess i was just making the observation that ccp has become a somewhat arbitrary comparison point for quality and pricing. to the point where anything priced higher than carol is seen as overpriced. a1923 and bbs being the primary targets, of course.

Comment

• cjbreed
      • Feb 2009

is it because ccp is viewed as being more "worth it"?
      dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• jskidder1
        • Jan 2011

that's my assumption, but i'm not sure why other than hype. or because ccp was the first to price that high, and we somewhat logically assume that price equates to highest quality. the originality argument is valid, but perhaps overly valued.

Comment

• drizzly
          Banned
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by jskidder1 View Post
          yes, that's been discussed to death. i guess i was just making the observation that ccp has become a somewhat arbitrary comparison point for quality and pricing. to the point where anything priced higher than carol is seen as overpriced. a1923 and bbs being the primary targets, of course.
          well high prices do create the illusion of exclusivity

Comment

• onijo84
            • May 2011

Any idea what leather this is? Simone did use stingray in his earlier works during Augusta days.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Shark maybe? Not sure.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Edward B
                • Nov 2010

looks like snake skin

Comment

• psydle
                  • Feb 2014

[QUOTE=onijo84;473402]Any idea what leather this is? Simone did use stingray in his earlier works during Augusta days.

I'd agree that it looks more like snake. The "scales" on stingray and shark and less geometric and organized, more like bumps.
                  As wormwood and wine. To the Death!

Comment

• psydle
                    • Feb 2014

2014 double zip rev horse a1923 review

Posted on SF the other day but this review truly belongs here.

So first impression on the a1923 ST3 2014 in reverse horse is that they are really really soft. Like Guidi cordovan level soft. Like a suede moccasin.

These are incredibly matte. The reverse hide surface eats light like a black hole but if you get them under enough light to photograph that have a heavy brown hue.

They also run really small now. These are a 44 and they are gonna need to stretch out a bit to be comfy on my 43 toes.

The zippers are standard yyk pulls on these which is just a weirdo thing on this particular model this season. The sole is also quite soft and pliable although over .5' thick. They don't make a sound at all even on a tile floor. I've gotta get some vibram on them right away.

The vertical set logotype that is usually stamped on the sole A DICIANNOVEVENTITRE is also no longer present. The size is tagged into the top of the shaft rather than stamped into the insole. The lack of these details compared to early years is kind of disappointing.
                    Last edited by psydle; 10-22-2014, 12:23 PM.
                    As wormwood and wine. To the Death!

Comment

• nicelynice
                      • Oct 2009

I love A1923 boots, but this is getting ridiculous - is there a boot he hasn't ripped off yet? These FW14 hikers sure look familiar..

Comment

• Rei
                        • Oct 2011

Wait, those are a1923? Doesn't get much closer than that... But I guess could be said that a lot of the hikers are somewhat similar.

Comment

• byhand
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Rei View Post
                          Wait, those are a1923? Doesn't get much closer than that... But I guess could be said that a lot of the hikers are somewhat similar.
                          I've been waiting for the A1923 drips - not to buy, solely for entertainment value.

Comment

• drizzly
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2012

Hiking boots are a pretty standard design done by many companies. But, guidi is the only i know of that made a high end leather model of those. Not sure why a1923 decided to make his own version.

i noticed that a1923 charges ccp prices for their leathers garments, luc prices for non leather garments, and ma+ prices for footwear.

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

So we are so much into designer hero worship
                              That they own prices now?
                              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• byhand
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                                So we are so much into designer hero worship
                                That they own prices now?
                                Well, the thing that is particularly interesting in the case of Simone and A1923 is that when one brand swipes the design of another brand it is often to bring the design to market at a cheaper cost to the consumer, to bring the design to an audience that can't afford (or doesn't want to pay) the hefty price tag attached to the original. That doesn't happen with A1923. The prices are always comparable or even more expensive. Not bashing Simone. I like his work and don't really care where he gets ideas for shoes. I think it's fun that he obviously doesn't give a shit what Mr. Poell and others think of him. He does produce a unique piece here and there and obviously is interested in craftsmanship as much as design, so he's not a hack just trying to capitalize on a popular idea. Although, who the customer is for luxe hiking boots confounds me.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎