X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnny
    • Sep 2006

Re: FALL/WINTER 07 SALES

[quote user="ddohnggo"]i'm not calling it unscrupulous. i'm just asking if that's the deal.
    [/quote]

Iknow ddohnggo - sorry for the confusion. DBC was calling it unscrupulous just above you!

Comment

• dontbecruel
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]I don't see how it's unscrupulous. Isn't it a reward for people who have supported the brand by paying full price and being a decent customer?[/quote]

That would mean that the best bargains go to the people who can already afford full price. Isn't sales time the (relatively) poor man's revenge?

It's not that aspect I object to though, more the insider element of it. I think anyone should be able to walk off the street and buy a Comme coat at half-price, just because they like the way it looks. Whether they normally shop at Top Man or Gucci or whatever. I don't like the idea of it being reserved for a chosen few, either by price or by know-how. That's not what makes special things special is it? (I hope not)

Comment

• ddohnggo
        • Oct 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]

Iknow ddohnggo - sorry for the confusion. DBC was calling it unscrupulous just above you![/quote]

i missed that. no worries!

Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Casius
          • Dec 2006

[quote user="laika"]

[quote user="ddohnggo"]i don't get it. so i just talked to someone in men's designer at barneys in madison and he said that presale doesn't start until closer to the end of the month. is he just holding people off on the presale so their clients get first crack?
          [/quote]

As far as I know, the presale has NOT officially started...a few sales assistants have been willing to try and hold on to things for clients until it does...

However, there is a week long "private sale" starting tomorrow, and this IS official (I got a card in the mail). Try mentioning this when you call (or when you go in).

[/quote]

Laika- When you say private; I'm assuming this means for certain Barney's customers? (the ones who receive the mailer?)

I'm not sure if I received one, but I havent checked the mail in a day or two. :)
          "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Johnny
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"]

[quote user="Johnny"]I don't see how it's unscrupulous. Isn't it a reward for people who have supported the brand by paying full price and being a decent customer?[/quote]

That would mean that the best bargains go to the people who can already afford full price. Isn't sales time the (relatively) poor man's revenge?

It's not that aspect I object to though, more the insider element of it. I think anyone should be able to walk off the street and buy a Comme coat at half-price, just because they like the way it looks. Whether they normally shop at Top Man or Gucci or whatever. I don't like the idea of it being reserved for a chosen few, either by price or by know-how. That's not what makes special things special is it? (I hope not)

[/quote]

I understand what you say, but I think the logic breaks down a bit when you remember that it's a business we're talking about. People buy clothes from them at full price - the shop wants to "reward" those people for being brand loyal - they give them a heads up at sales time, in order for those people to buy more stuff for what they feel is a bargain -makes them feel good about the brand - they will buy more clothesat full price. It's just marketing, they don't owe anyonethe right to exercise anopportunity to buy clothes from them on the cheap. Why would they?

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"][quote user="laika"]

[quote user="ddohnggo"]i don't get it. so i just talked to someone in men's designer at barneys in madison and he said that presale doesn't start until closer to the end of the month. is he just holding people off on the presale so their clients get first crack?
              [/quote]

As far as I know, the presale has NOT officially started...a few sales assistants have been willing to try and hold on to things for clients until it does...

However, there is a week long "private sale" starting tomorrow, and this IS official (I got a card in the mail). Try mentioning this when you call (or when you go in).

[/quote]

Laika- When you say private; I'm assuming this means for certain Barney's customers? (the ones who receive the mailer?)

I'm not sure if I received one, but I havent checked the mail in a day or two. :)

[/quote]

Like dbc says...it's for those who are "in the know," whether via mailer or otherwise. I certainly do not spend anywhere near enough money at Barney's to be considered a special customer. [74] Just go in, pick something up, and ask,"is this part of the private sale?" They are not checking id or anything....

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Casius
                • Dec 2006

That would be pretty hilarious if they did check ID. hahaha

Thanks Laika, I'm probably going to stop by on Saturday and see what I can find. [75]
                "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

Honestly, I have always found Barney's to be pretty democratic about this sort of thing....you buy one thing, and you're on their list forever. Also, my experience at the Madison store is that the stock is constantly in flux during sale season...people are always returning things, or deciding they don't want them and taking them off hold. It's much more worthwhile going frequently during the sales than hoping for a miracle at the warehouse sale.
                  ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Agreed with Laika, sales at Barneys rock and so do their sales people. Best service EVAR!

Also I would agree with DBC as a customer, and with Johnny as a business owner (which I am not). Both have valid points, but I don't think socio-polticial commentary is worth anything here - either you buy something on sale and it's cool, or you don't buy something, so fvck it.... on the other hand maybe it is worth discussing - what are we, if we don't whip up some philosophical musings on anything surrounding fashion?! [Y]

Ok, I'm off to the Margiela sample sale - pretty democratic!

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• drexl
                      • Sep 2006

From a business perspective, I definitely agree with Johnny. We're talking about an industry where the 80/20 rule very strongly applies (80% of the store's revenues come from 20% of its customers, not literally those exact numbers but you get the gist of it), so these businesses really have to give this 20% of shoppers, who are the main source of revenues, some incentive to stay loyal.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Just got back from the Margiela sample sale - the mens is absolutely awful this season.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ddohnggo
                          • Oct 2006

thanks for the heads up and saving me a trip! do you know how the women's selection is? i might want to get my gf some things.
                          Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• MikeN
                            • Nov 2007

Lots of women's stuff but I didn't look through it to see if anything decent was there. HOWEVER they had ONE pair of the zip-up/lace-up combat boots in my size (45) left. My friend is holding them for me.

Comment

• tofu
                              • Nov 2007

i guess there's no decent outerwear...

any decent trousers in 46 or shoes/boots in 41ish?

Comment

• zamb
                                • Nov 2006

[quote user="Faust"]Just got back from the Margiela sample sale - the mens is absolutely awful this season.
                                [/quote]

so is it worth it for me to go then?

do you see anything that looks like me? no black jeans?

BTW i will be wearing that shirt for the first time this weekend, along with the one from Neil Barrett

both of which fits better with this new semi-Svelte physique that i am sporting,

Thanks to Lady-Z who banned me from Sodas, Chewing gum and buttered bagels with jelly every morning................also relegated to black coffee[76]............. its worth it though, i look and feel better, and can wear my MMM's now

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎