Re: dior sneakers

Frankfurt, luckily travelling a lot :)

JF

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Yea, the first sign of you getting old is thinking that all new music sucks (that's my case [86]). I think he's wrong about Poell though - since 04, poell has had his strongest seasons - he's going full steam now. So, we are witnessing the peak, enjoy it while it lasts. Brands like Ann Dem and Raf, however... well, my best hope is they are on some sort of a sabbatical, and they will turn it around, the way Margiela did (in my book).
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theaddict
        • Apr 2008

hey, you are not the guy from frankfurt who is working for the saudies and bought a pair of poell boots some months ago?
        Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]Yea, the first sign of you getting old is thinking that all new music sucks (that's my case [86]). I think he's wrong about Poell though - since 04, poell has had his strongest seasons - he's going full steam now. So, we are witnessing the peak, enjoy it while it lasts. Brands like Ann Dem and Raf, however... well, my best hope is they are on some sort of a sabbatical, and they will turn it around, the way Margiela did (in my book).
          [/quote]

It sounds to me like he's basing his judgement on the relative "hype" that's formed around Poell in the last few years, rather than a qualitative change in the work. (I don't agree of course, and it sounds pretty paranoid in this case, but it's an interesting parallel to the dior discussion, nevertheless.)

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• JohnFG
            • May 2007

[quote user="theaddict"]hey, you are not the guy from frankfurt who is working for the saudies and bought a pair of poell boots some months ago?
            [/quote]

nop. No contact to saudi...

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="theaddict"]

and i have to give props to Stylezeitgeist and its members, i agree with you all that people here are more mature than on any other forum...so is their language (many native speakers i guess, excluding me).

I will (ab)use this forum to train and pimp up my language and learn from people how to express thoughts like a native speaker while having fun (very impressing posts from Chinorz for example). My next TOEFL test will achieve the full point scale!!! A good training for a later master programm too.

[/quote]

haha, thanks theaddict!

You'd be surprised as to how many non-native english speakers frequent here though. This place brings EVERYONE together. You rock that toefl!

KH is one of the last vestiges that I regret not visiting. John... I promise next time I'm in Germany we're going!!!!!!!

Kinda sucked that it was clear across Germany from Berlin where I was living at the time. The closest I got was flying out of the Frankfurt airport hehehe. I know you'll enjoy Berlin theaddict... I miss it every single day. My girlfriend and i reminisce about it all the time. Such a lovely laid back city. Quiet when you want it to be, busy when you want it to be... and everything in between. The only thing is that some of those Turkish teenage boys can be downright annoying at times.

... but the plentiful Doner Kebaps make up for it hehehe

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Diego
                • Aug 2007

^ Agree with you on Poell. Never been a fan of Raf but I hope Ann D can make a comeback. Welcome theaddict!!.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="voltaire's anti-defamation league"]fuck, the parties do suck now ;) i think the difference is DH more
                  actively participated in it's downfall so to speak. there is the same
                  cool factor with a lot of the brands here but the brands themselves
                  arent really responsible for shoving it down your throat nearly as much or at all. u cant base an entire brand image on
                  hipster losers in bands/skinny super gay kids and then get mad when hipster losers in bands/skinny super gay kids end up wearing
                  the stuff. technically they have more of a right to like in than any
                  of us. obviously clothes r just consumer good so u cant really control
                  who ends up buying them when they become trendy unless i guess u own your own crazy facist nazi s(c)h(utzstaffel)op. [/quote]

that's true. and you are right about DH, they dug their own commercial grave, so I don't feel bad for them.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Diego"]^ Agree with you on Poell. Never been a fan of Raf but I hope Ann D can make a comeback. Welcome theaddict!!.[/quote]

I wouldn't mind seeing some good Ann come about again too Diego... she's gotta increase quality and drop prices of her stuff though before I look at it again hehehe

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• theaddict
                      • Apr 2008

[quote user="Faust"]Yea, the first sign of you getting old is thinking that all new music sucks (that's my case [86]). I think he's wrong about Poell though - since 04, poell has had his strongest seasons - he's going full steam now. So, we are witnessing the peak, enjoy it while it lasts. Brands like Ann Dem and Raf, however... well, my best hope is they are on some sort of a sabbatical, and they will turn it around, the way Margiela did (in my book).
                      [/quote]

you are absolutely right faust but to me its when young girls ask for fire saying: "Do SIE(you) have fire?"(which is the german formal form of adress for older people...i dont know if i could express myself properly...haha).

Or last weekend on a party a 49 year old woman tried to get me into her bed. She was a makeup artist and i dont wanna know how she looks in bright daylight (she REALLY didnt look like 50 in the flashlight...haha)

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

[/quote]

It sounds to me like he's basing his judgement on the relative "hype" that's formed around Poell in the last few years, rather than a qualitative change in the work. (I don't agree of course, and it sounds pretty paranoid in this case, but it's an interesting parallel to the dior discussion, nevertheless.)

[/quote]

Oh, right. Yea, well, when you operate in a public arena, there isn't much you can do, especially these days. And much of it is up to the brand itself (see voltaire's example of Dior). I would venture to say that, for example, no amount of SZ influence will ever equal one article in NYT or one picture in Vogue. Look at Rick Owens - we've championed him for years, and only now after a slew of article, the trendies are starting to snap up his leather jackets at retail.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theaddict
                          • Apr 2008

[quote user="Chinorlz"][quote user="theaddict"]

and i have to give props to Stylezeitgeist and its members, i agree with you all that people here are more mature than on any other forum...so is their language (many native speakers i guess, excluding me).

I will (ab)use this forum to train and pimp up my language and learn from people how to express thoughts like a native speaker while having fun (very impressing posts from Chinorz for example). My next TOEFL test will achieve the full point scale!!! A good training for a later master programm too.

[/quote]

haha, thanks theaddict!

You'd be surprised as to how many non-native english speakers frequent here though. This place brings EVERYONE together. You rock that toefl!

KH is one of the last vestiges that I regret not visiting. John... I promise next time I'm in Germany we're going!!!!!!!

Kinda sucked that it was clear across Germany from Berlin where I was living at the time. The closest I got was flying out of the Frankfurt airport hehehe. I know you'll enjoy Berlin theaddict... I miss it every single day. My girlfriend and i reminisce about it all the time. Such a lovely laid back city. Quiet when you want it to be, busy when you want it to be... and everything in between. The only thing is that some of those Turkish teenage boys can be downright annoying at times.

... but the plentiful Doner Kebaps make up for it hehehe

[/quote]

hahaha, yeah i know what you are talking about...some minority problem here, especially in berlin. Funny that you lived in germany, i dont wanna ask what you did there...:) Berlin is for me the only alternative in germany, because it is the only city that comes near to other big ones like New York or London (Of course there is still a biiig gap). Only there are not many good jobs in berlin...frankfurt is better for earning the big money :)

Guys let me know when you come to Kurts store. I will join you, haha and we can celebrate a big Poell festivity :) (Although i would rather like to celebrate a Luster/Strip party hehe)...

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="theaddict"]

[/quote]

you are absolutely right faust but to me its when young girls ask for fire saying: "Do SIE(you) have fire?"(which is the german formal form of adress for older people...i dont know if i could express myself properly...haha).

Or last weekend on a party a 49 year old woman tried to get me into her bed. She was a makeup artist and i dont wanna know how she looks in bright daylight (she REALLY didnt look like 50 in the flashlight...haha)

[/quote]

Haben sie feuer?

not sure what your meaning is here theaddict. Can you elaborate? :)

as for Berlin... I was lucky enough to be doing... nothing. A number of months off to travel and hang out before medical school. My girlfriend was doing a semester abroad at the Architecture school at TU though.

Comment

• theaddict
                              • Apr 2008

They just say it like i am an old person who has to be treated with respect :)

lucky you, just hanging out in berlin, quite unusuall for a american...?

so you are gonna be a doctor...:)

Comment

• laika
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Oh, right. Yea, well, when you operate in a public arena, there isn't much you can do, especially these days. And much of it is up to the brand itself (see voltaire's example of Dior). I would venture to say that, for example, no amount of SZ influence will ever equal one article in NYT or one picture in Vogue. Look at Rick Owens - we've championed him for years, and only now after a slew of article, the trendies are starting to snap up his leather jackets at retail.

[/quote]

I totally agree, and I think it's rather crazy to think that Poell is over-hyped just because he has a slightly larger and more diverse client-base.

But RO is a little different, no? Anna Wintour was championing him back in 2002 (Vogue sponsored his runway first show) and I remember Gwyneth Paltrow and various other celebrities being spotted everywhere in his clothes back then. It's an amazing success story when you think about it--he achieved both mainstream (relatively speaking) and niche success very quickly, was hyped like crazy, and yet has managed to transcend the hype and remain consistently himself, regardless of what's trendy and of who is wearing or not wearing his stuff. [Y]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎