• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnny
    • Sep 2006

Re: dior sneakers

[quote user="laika"]

voltaire, you've been making some great posts lately.

[quote user="Faust"]

Laika, how can you be so reductive!!! Hahaha, sorry, I couldn't resist!!!! I love you [51]

In all seriousness, that's kind of true though, no? Look at WAYWT - there is a variety of looks presented, I think.

[/quote]

I didn't think it was particularly controversial to say that the prevailing SZ aesthetic is a dark one. I take it for granted that all of us "mature individuals" here at SZ can be light-hearted about something as silly as "goth ninja." It's not so bad to have a laugh at yourself every once in awhile. [86][51]

Faust's not a fan of self deprecating humour.... ;)

[/quote]

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

well, goth ninja is serious business, johnny. [79]

:-)

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• matthewhk
        • Jan 2007

haha i love how a thread innocently titled "dior sneakers" turned out to be the best/most stimulating thread all week.

and the way kanye west wears his dior jeans...surprised nobody on superfuture or styleforumhas called him out for that yet. i would've figured the tight jeans police would've had him burned for doing their beloved dior so rudely.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"][quote user="laika"]

voltaire, you've been making some great posts lately.

[quote user="Faust"]

Laika, how can you be so reductive!!! Hahaha, sorry, I couldn't resist!!!! I love you [51]

In all seriousness, that's kind of true though, no? Look at WAYWT - there is a variety of looks presented, I think.

[/quote]

I didn't think it was particularly controversial to say that the prevailing SZ aesthetic is a dark one. I take it for granted that all of us "mature individuals" here at SZ can be light-hearted about something as silly as "goth ninja." It's not so bad to have a laugh at yourself every once in awhile. [86][51]

Faust's not a fan of self deprecating humour.... ;)

[/quote][/quote]

Haha, true! Although, there are exceptions.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mortalveneer
            • Jan 2008

dammit...this thread is solid...and to think I ignored it because i thought it was someone posting in "Good Finds", "Recent Purchases", or "help finding"...I kept seeing it come up and thinking, wow, those must be some sneakers, or that person is really having trouble finding them...
            I am not who you think I am

Comment

• mass
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="mass"]well i guess my original point was chinorlz is basically doing what he accuses the 'current generation' of dior fans of doing and is basically just ignoring everything but the tshirts, jeans, shoes blah blah blah blah... a majority of the later seasons were still mainly knits and tailored/outerwear. but i mean whatever... if you're going to ask "why haven't people in general stuck with it that had purchased it even up through votc and s/s 05?" then i can ask why did you decide to get rid of everything which was prior to s/s 05 (basically everything)? people are into things for different reasons so it doesn't really matter i guess...

and i do understand why people are into luster and strip... the aesthetic of those 2 seasons while still in the spirit of what hedi had done prior are quite different (even if they remind me of ysl a/w 00). i'd say there are just as many shitty ass basics in those 2 as there are in the later seasons.[/quote]

Really, mass? We must've been looking at two different collections. I don't remember seeing a single basic item from there to be honest - and I've probably seen about 85% of the collection, I would say. Even the dress shirt fabrics were amazing - I have this very gauzy cotton feather-light shirt. I don't consider the distressed/creased, coated (and in some cases ripped at the bottom) jeans basics either.

[/quote]

an exaggeration (: but none of the things everyone seems to be after from the later seasons (ie whatever washed jeans, the t-shirts, or a majority of the sneakers) were on the runway. but i do see a lot of basics from luster/strip show up on yahoo all the time. and i really can't disagree more about the quality in the later seasons... there's obviously nothing i can do to change albert's mind but i've owned pieces from most of the seasons (not solitaire, unfortunately... and not the last 2 seasons although i handled them in stores) and i don't feel it has gotten worse. i thought the fabrics in a/w 06 were especially amazing. also of note is i own a jacket from s/s 06 and it has hand pickstitching on the lapels and sleeves, which i didn't expect at all.

just to clarify, i do like luster and strip, but i feel everything before are so much more amazing, and hedi's ysl collections even more so. i guess it's entirely possible i've been caught in the designer loyalty trap, but i will never feel that the oversaturation of dior among hipsters or whatever whatever should affect my appreciation about the brand, or rather the designer since lvmh is obviously ... and that goes for everything and not just garments.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="voltaire's anti-defamation league"]

[quote user="Chinorlz"]can't find it :( got a link?[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL6MC6SXyNs

wait like a 1min30...

hilarity ensues.

[/quote]

I can't believe I forgot that scene. Pure genius!

Mass, when I think of the more recent collections I just think about how the beads would come off, the studs glued to the polos came off and things like that. No worries though man. Like you said, it's a personal interpretation and individual appreciation of the/a brand that it comes down to... sort of like how Atelier's buy of Yohji may differ greatly from what it's like across the street at the namesake boutique. One's opinion (including my own) can be changed completely by what they are exposed to.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="mass"][quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="mass"]well i guess my original point was chinorlz is basically doing what he accuses the 'current generation' of dior fans of doing and is basically just ignoring everything but the tshirts, jeans, shoes blah blah blah blah... a majority of the later seasons were still mainly knits and tailored/outerwear. but i mean whatever... if you're going to ask "why haven't people in general stuck with it that had purchased it even up through votc and s/s 05?" then i can ask why did you decide to get rid of everything which was prior to s/s 05 (basically everything)? people are into things for different reasons so it doesn't really matter i guess...

and i do understand why people are into luster and strip... the aesthetic of those 2 seasons while still in the spirit of what hedi had done prior are quite different (even if they remind me of ysl a/w 00). i'd say there are just as many shitty ass basics in those 2 as there are in the later seasons.[/quote]

Really, mass? We must've been looking at two different collections. I don't remember seeing a single basic item from there to be honest - and I've probably seen about 85% of the collection, I would say. Even the dress shirt fabrics were amazing - I have this very gauzy cotton feather-light shirt. I don't consider the distressed/creased, coated (and in some cases ripped at the bottom) jeans basics either.

[/quote]

an exaggeration (: but none of the things everyone seems to be after from the later seasons (ie whatever washed jeans, the t-shirts, or a majority of the sneakers) were on the runway. but i do see a lot of basics from luster/strip show up on yahoo all the time. and i really can't disagree more about the quality in the later seasons... there's obviously nothing i can do to change albert's mind but i've owned pieces from most of the seasons (not solitaire, unfortunately... and not the last 2 seasons although i handled them in stores) and i don't feel it has gotten worse. i thought the fabrics in a/w 06 were especially amazing. also of note is i own a jacket from s/s 06 and it has hand pickstitching on the lapels and sleeves, which i didn't expect at all.

just to clarify, i do like luster and strip, but i feel everything before are so much more amazing, and hedi's ysl collections even more so. i guess it's entirely possible i've been caught in the designer loyalty trap, but i will never feel that the oversaturation of dior among hipsters or whatever whatever should affect my appreciation about the brand, or rather the designer since lvmh is obviously ... and that goes for everything and not just garments.[/quote]

It shouldn't have any effect on you, but tell me - do you not feel turned off by them?

I also think Hedi's YSL stuff was golden - I wish more pictures would survive - it deserves its own thread.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• matthewhk
                    • Jan 2007

Hedi's YSL was indeed very good...that, Helmut Lang and Jil Sander are I feel the pinnacle of the 90s minimalism movement.

Comment

• theetruscan
                      • Jan 2008

[quote user="matthewhk"]Hedi's YSL was indeed very good...that, Helmut Lang and Jil Sander are I feel the pinnacle of the 90s minimalism movement.[/quote]

Jil Sander's laser cut knit tees from the mid/late nineties were some of the greatest clothes made. Wish I had the cash for them then (or now for that matter).

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• matthewhk
                        • Jan 2007

yeah...in some ways I see a parallel between those three and the great Japanese trio of the 80s. I'd equate them something like this:

Jil Sander = Issey Miyake (innovation of fabrics)

Helmut Lang = Comme des Garcons (functionality and accessible appeal...the "wardrobe" approach to design rather than the "pieces" approach)

Hedi = Yohji Yamamoto (the most cutting edge vision proportion wise out of the three)

Comment

• mass
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

It shouldn't have any effect on you, but tell me - do you not feel turned off by them?

I also think Hedi's YSL stuff was golden - I wish more pictures would survive - it deserves its own thread.

[/quote]

nope, not at all!

ughh, i hated that his ysl collections were on firstview forever but i was in no hurry to save them since they would 'always be there'. tough shit... ]:

but yes, hedi's suits from ysl and early dior remind me very much of yohji as well, within a different context.

Comment

• arcade_fire
                            • Mar 2008

It is amazing how i started this thread just wanted to ask which season was the sneakers from but ended u to be a discussion on how DH dropped in quality and became the new bape.

As early suits from hedi resemble those from yohji, but it's funny how yohji saidhe thought menswear was becoming a little bit feminine and wantto make it masculine again when he presented his fall 08. Menswear became feminine somehow due to hedi.

Btw, I really want to which season is the sneakers from.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="arcade_fire"]

It is amazing how i started this thread just wanted to ask which season was the sneakers from but ended u to be a discussion on how DH dropped in quality and became the new bape.

As early suits from hedi resemble those from yohji, but it's funny how yohji saidhe thought menswear was becoming a little bit feminine and wantto make it masculine again when he presented his fall 08. Menswear became feminine somehow due to hedi.

Btw, I really want to which season is the sneakers from.

[/quote]

I agree (hopes to open up a whole new level of discussion [66]).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
                                • Sep 2006

This isn't you is it Voltaire's ADL? He's super hot...

(sorry to turn this into tiger beat)

That kanye pic is funny though.

[quote user="voltaire's anti-defamation league"][quote user="Chinorlz"]

Nice going with the insult.

[/quote]

i wasnt insulting u. just mentioning that through DH's branding they were obviously gonna attract an audience who's motives/buying habits/dh party loyalty etc etc may come off a little more clumsy than what you are likely to find here with like ccp and the like...and that's what u were getting a lil annoyed with right?? how silly some of these kids were sounding on the msn forum, no. i mean, what were we supposed to expect; DH was/is pretty much a self-parody:

[/quote]
                                music

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎