X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hocus Pocus
    • Apr 2008

Re: dior sneakers

This is absolutely fair, and I think I feel similarly. Though my experience is quite different. I was very young when those earlier collections came out, and thus my only real exposure was through ad campaigns and small tastes like that. At that point I dressed entirely in vintage. Then in 2004/2005 when I started getting more interested in fashion in terms of actual designers and collections, I kind of liked Dior, but was more impressed with stuff that I found visually impressive like Cloak and Jil Sander. In 2006, I found the Dior hype I saw gross and the pieces themselves repulsed me for the most part (because I couldn't afford them at all and they did not seem to be worth the money). In the last year I've gotten into the old collections, so other than my periphery experiences when I was younger, I've mostly been discovering Hedi's Dior in retrospect. I'm not a Dior beast at all (I only own a couple pieces), but I've recently been getting much more into those early collections, and feel like if I was who I am now then, I would've been obsessed. So while I won't be buying a New or recent Dior piece any time soon (unless I find it for an amazing price), picking up the odd piece from an early collection is quite appealing, as it gives me a taste of how it would've been then. Thus I'm like you, at once I'm learning how amazing that early Hedi was, and at the same time, feeling disdain at where it is now (last time I was in NYC, I stepped into the DH boutique and witnessed this nerdy Korean boy being encouraged by the SA into buying a pile of pieces that looked incredibly generic.)

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

Hocus, more people should be like you [Y]

looking forward to seeing more of you on SZ!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Hocus Pocus
        • Apr 2008

Haha, thanks.

I think this place suits me much more than Superfuture. Though my wardrobe doesn't compare to the majority here, hopefully I'll be getting my share of quality pieces this year.

Comment

• sbw4224
          • Sep 2006

I wouldn't worry about your personal aesthetic fitting in or not. I've
          been out of the loop of discussions for a while due to being away from
          the computer more often, but I'd say that even though I don't dress on par with the majority here I feel completely comfortable when I do take part. Contrary to some opinions, it is a welcoming forum. [Y]

[quote user="Hocus Pocus"]

Haha, thanks.

I think this place suits me much more than Superfuture. Though my wardrobe doesn't compare to the majority here, hopefully I'll be getting my share of quality pieces this year.

[/quote]

Comment

• casem
            • Sep 2006

I'll throw in my 2 cents, since I remember being one of the sole defenders of Dior when this forum first started.[86]

I understand where both parties are coming from. I do think the mythical hype around the old collections is getting ridiculous, and some "newbies" are paying outrageous prices for these things to get some cred with the "old guarde" of folks that think these are the only worth while dior collections. I can also see the correlation between that kinda hype and the way certain brands are revered here and how purchase of said brands will immediately put you in the baller's club. The difference though, is the brands revered here, while still hardly worth what they cost, are of inherently more worth due to their craftsmanship and rigorous methods of production. Where asthe inflation of prices for old Dior is more due to increasing hype over these collections and not because of superior craftsmanship (though they are allegedly made better than today's Dior).

The comment that these collections weren't appreciated in their day is totally true. I was really into Dior from the start, but I wasn't at the level where I could fathom paying designer prices until F/W05. However, I remember seeing pieces that people would kill for from these old collections trickle into Outlet Malls in Michigan, so clearly they weren't doing well. Just as I'm sure people may be getting worked up about Cloak after the fact, while I know there wasn't a single item I couldn't find at 40% off or more come sale time at the boutique. I did go through a period of intense regret for not getting in on this stuff while the getting was good, but in retrospect,it didn't sell well for a reason. As badass as strip/luster were, I can't see myself walking down the street in much of it.

I guess the only point of dissent I have is that Dior, up until Hedi left, wasn't that bad. I found a few gems in every collection from F/W 05 on, and since I got them at sale time, the prices were downright reasonable compared to the shit people be copping on this forum. Sure they watered down the brand with the money maker jeans and tees, that's business, but I thought Hedi was able to keep some respectability by producing a few great pieces every season for those who weren't suckered by the trendy stuff. My wardrobe is probably 40% Dior, 40% Cloak, 20% other (ann d, jil, ervell) and I don't think I look like a trendy Dior whore wannabe (iono maybe I'm wrong[:$])

music

Comment

• AKA*NYC
              • Nov 2007

This discussion is what makes SZ great. :)
              LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

Casey, DH suits are still great. I still keep my VotC one around :)

You gotta wear what you like and what works for you... and what you got works for you man!

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• minomni
                  • Oct 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"][quote user="laika"][quote user="Chinorlz"]

These guys fawn over the terrible crap that has been put out in the last couple of years from DH (subjective.. I totally understand) and pretty much embody the complete look and attitude that is both boring and beyond homogenous now.

[/quote]

Some people would say the same thing about the dark post-goth/ leather-jacket wearing ninja look that is so championed on SZ.

[/quote]

You'd have to substitute "I only wear Dior Homme" to "I only wear brands carried at Atelier" though. My take on it is that, as a rule, the SZ poster is more mature and set in his taste and following that, hopefully less prone to fawning over the entire buy of the place/the whole of a designer's offering, without leaving any space for his own vision and idiosyncrasies to manifest in his style. Threads like the RO sneakers one show that the forum does indeed create hype that definitely influence the actual buys of some people, but on the other hand I'm not sure the same snowball effect could start with something that doesn't fit the dominant aesthetic that brought people here in the first place.

[/quote]

from what i've gathered, the sz-member also seems to belong to a different age
                  group than the influx of dh followers and presumably at a different
                  stage in their understanding and relationship with fashion itself. the
                  latter claim is a bit more difficult to substantiate, but i think it can be said that the frequent exposures and its role within pop culture afford dior more accessibility to younger generations, perhaps in many cases acting as an 'introduction' to fashion. it's important to note that our tastes are a result of a process, and that sometimes it's far too easy to ridicule others without understanding the cause of their interest.

Comment

• Servo2000
                    • Oct 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

It's all good Laika! :)

Of course it's a bit "apples vs oranges" since the MSN forum IS a Dior Homme forum but in general I feel like they lack a level of actual artistic appreciation for the line and "diorbeast" to use Mass' word (which I really like btw) just because. When people are looking for truly heinous pieces ("under my car" jeans, the slim leather suspenders, and even the DISGUSTING clear acrylic bracelet!!! Seriously!!), them saying they miss Hedi over KVA just rings hollow to me you know?

[/quote]

I will fight you.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

[:$]

I like you Servo![73]

Comment

• Servo2000
                        • Oct 2006

And I like my slim leather suspenders, thank-you very much. (p.s. no worries)
                        WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

you're a good man Servo! [Y] It's laudable when someone likes what they likes and doesn't let others' opinions get in the way.

Comment

• matthewhk
                            • Jan 2007

[quote user="Chinorlz"]you're a good man Servo! [Y] It's laudable when someone likes what they likes and doesn't let others' opinions get in the way.[/quote]

this is a good point. Most days i'm out wading around in clothes that the average person will probably see as extremely ill fitting, screw them i'm happier and more comfortable and confident in that than most of what "they" like...

Comment

• Liberation1945
                              • Jun 2007

maybe it's not as simple as i think, but doesn't all of this shit go both ways? yea, okay, dior can be hit or miss, it used to be better, etcetc, but the same can be said about many of the brands lauded here, no? ann d has dropped in quality, ccp puts out both amazing and hideous clothing, people buy rick owens' tees in the same vein as the people who buy dior tees(only to have a piece of the brand)...there was talk of hipsters and such, but honestly, the "gothninja" look is pretty common too...andthere's been too many times i've seen a generic/"dior look"to be a lot more pleasing to my eyes than an outfitbought at Atelier(which cost thousands more, but ended up looking and fittingquite awful).oh wait, but, then it goes back to the subtle details and construction, right? [76][72]

i just wish we could all hold hands and wear our ccps with our cassette playas. [:'(]

Comment

• matthewhk
                                • Jan 2007

well, i'm pretty receptive and open minded when it comes to differing viewpoints on how to dress...but a certain line's drawn somewhere, and indeed part of it is the construction/details, but a more important part is how the clothes fit into the wearer's natural identity before the clothes came into the picture. Someone who buys a Rick t-shirt and wears it in a way that's consistent with the rest of his approach to style as well as his lifestyle and aesthetic/artistic preferencesi would say isn't buying it for the sake of the brand. Likewise someone who buys a 10,000 yen N(N) tee with a cool statement/graphic. It's when you have people appropriating these pieces in a way that is not congruent with who they are that becomes a problem.

It's a problem often seen here in Hong Kong, and i think the continuing growth of the soulless shopping mall culture replacing REAL local hong kong flavored shops which David Tang once mentioned in a good article is contributing to that. It's all about mindless consumption without any understanding or true appreciation of what exactly it is these people are buying into. Even if someone wanted to dress like a gigolo in Dolce & Gabbana, Tom Ford and Gucci I'd have no problem with, as long as there's a certain self awareness.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎