• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Re: dior sneakers

Gotta keep it fun with a little debate [73]

I'm generalizing the people who are all about DH now (versus the group that was into it up til around s/s 05 that have since moved on... quite a few of them onto brands that are "SZ approved"... a handful of the core members here including Faust I've known for years via the msn forum even!). When the founding members haven't posted on there in years, you know it's over. Even Colin, who WORKED at Dior has been done with the brand for years.

These guys fawn over the terrible crap that has been put out in the last couple of years from DH (subjective.. I totally understand) and pretty much embody the complete hipster look and attitude that is both boring and beyond homogenous now.

My feeling is that these people will buy anything as long as it's got that silver Dior tag on the inside. It could be any piece of crap and they'll start a thread on it and then everyone on there will want it... and then everyone on there looks the same. The thing is, nothing that they're after is really all that great (subjective... again I know). It's t-shirt and jeans and some brokeass looking sneakers that are $585. The exact same look can be accomplished for hundreds if not thousands less at your local H&M because that look is 4 years old. Just look at the people who've posted photos of themselves on that site. You couldn't even TELL it was a DH dress shirt aside from the comment attached to it. It's still some dude wearing it half unbuttoned, sleeves rolled up at some club.

You paid $350? I'll pay you $5 to never post another photo again. (just a joke! Trying to keep it lighthearted! [B])

As for the appreciation of the line, I think that those that saw, handled and bought the earlier collections while they were on the racks have a wholly different view of DH than those who were more than happy to buy plasticky thin brown leather jackets with quilted interiors for $4k+ that both look and felt like shit just because "when I zip it up it's so thin and tight I can't even breathe!" I get it. It's slim. That's not special anymore as of 6 or more years now.

I see these guys as buying luster/strip (and nary a mention of ANYTHING from Follow Me, Red, Reflection, Solitaire) purely for shock value/bragging rights. They've never even seen the stuff in person (they probably were still in grade school when the shit was in stores given the way they talk on that forum) and only seem to want it because everyone else does. Have you seen how people speak so reverently about bleu clairs and the strip ripped jeans? BOTH were purchase by me from the DH boutique in NY during sales time (and I'm not a special size so you know neither sold THAT well.). BOTH were available on ebay, msn, etc. for literally $275-350 and plentiful.

Then a year orso later first you get the original fans wanting those collections because they were truly great and they SAW how great it was then they gave up and moved on (I"m quite certain a good portion of SZ had a DH phase) and then the new pack moved in and said "wait... they wanted those bleu clairs, they GOTTA be good! Fuck it! $1000? I'll buy it!"

I totally understand the concept of an item being worth what you personally think its worth. I'm sure many people who just casually read this site think many of us are insane for paying anything close to what we do for items. In that sense more power to the guy that hunted down that one piece he's been wanting for a while and getting it by whatever means necessary. We all do that and it's rewarding as all hell.

The thing is that (reading between the lines on the msn forum) these people don't seem to actually truly LIKE the stuff for anything more than wanting to emulate the total look of an old ad campaign photo or get some piece just because everyone wants/wanted it. Lets face it... the bleu clairs are really pretty shitty.

A light blue pair of jeans goes with..... nothing.

The strip ripped jeans? Unless you're an attention crusader... nothing.

I've worn both (Mass seems to know pretty well.... I've owned just about every key DH piece ever created... multiples.) and liberated both. Sometimes two or three times.

I think two true testaments as to why the new DH crowd is almost completely brand-whoring (and yes... I'm quite certain this can be turned around on me and others in regards to CDiem/CCP/MA+ et al but then we'll just have to write more ;) ) is two points:

1. The construction, detail and silhouette created from the beginning at Solitaire probably hasn't been mentioned on that site in well over a year. No one is hunting for that impeccably, beautifully, perfectly constructed Red Collection suit. They want some "I'm the boy about town that you've heard of" t-shirt that just makes me want to die. This is a clear sign they aren't about the brand in the original breakthrough sense. Luster isn't mentioned as one of the great collections that generated mens haute couture that was still wearable... it's "where the napolean [sic] jacket is from."

If I see Napoleon spelled incorrectly one more time on that forum, I may just implode.

2. When "the best leather jacket that Hedi has ever produced" is from post s/s 06, all hope is lost. Sub par construction, sub par design and astronomical prices for what you get (don't lie to yourself... a factory churned out no fewer than 1000 of those and you're paying $4.5k for it?!) and yet it still sells out and 4 people are left looking for it in 42P. That is a sad state of affairs.

But like Matt said above, to each their own. I don't raise a ruckus over there... only when it seeps over here.

PS- I still say buy Stan Smith Adidas kicks. [Y]

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• viridi
      • Mar 2008

^words!! its been a while i havent read such a long english article, but this time i did. yes,in every word..

Comment

• AKA*NYC
        • Nov 2007

Standing ovation Albert. Wow.
        LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

These guys fawn over the terrible crap that has been put out in the last couple of years from DH (subjective.. I totally understand) and pretty much embody the complete hipster look and attitude that is both boring and beyond homogenous now.

[/quote]

says who?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• matthewhk
            • Jan 2007

the bleu clairs are indeed one of the most overrated DH pieces ever...what's the reselling price on those now? $1200? They really are nothing but a pair of light blue jeans...my favorite jeans from the early days of DH denim is still the black painted blue claw mark jeans, which i still wear every now and then.

if i have a holy grail item in fashion, i wasn't able to answer the question in that other thread but Albert's post reminded me...i must say it's the charcoal grey (sharkskin?) suit from the Red/Boys don't cry runway show, the one worn with a black shirt and military boots...that suitis one of the slickest motherfuckers i've ever seen in my time. i'm not a fan of appropriating runway looks in their entirety, but i would rock that shit head to toe like it was nobody's business. I can't think of a Dior look more quintessentially "me" than that one right there.

Comment

• iSuck
              • Mar 2008

I remember when I bought Dior Homme in like 2002/3 when hardly anyone had still really heard of it and everyone thought I was crazy for wearing tapered jeans. Those few collections around that time were great; but, shortly after that when it all became about tees, jeans, sneakers, Misshapes and Hedi eating babyfood it totally lost my interest.

Comment

• matthewhk
                • Jan 2007

yeah i remember back then people would list 'tapered jeans' all the time on their 'fashion faux pas' lists...but my first "serious" pair of designer jeans i ever bought was Dior Homme, since then I could never imagine wearing anything but tapered jeans...even the 21 cm has a slight taper. True straight leg jeans, i own 2 pairs from 45 RPM and somehow my eye just can't adjust to that look because i am already accustomed to the Dior/APC look for denim...

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Chinorlz"]

[/quote]

says who?

[/quote]

[74]

just covering the bases :)

it's fun too to wax nostalgic about those past years when you could get beautiful DH pieces on yoox for seriously cheap too... Faust, I remember buying the padded nylon version of the zipoff sleeve luster jacket from you. It was a beautiful piece to say the least... I'd almost want it back in my closet now given the chance!

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• laika
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

These guys fawn over the terrible crap that has been put out in the last couple of years from DH (subjective.. I totally understand) and pretty much embody the complete look and attitude that is both boring and beyond homogenous now.

[/quote]

Some people would say the same thing about the dark post-goth/ leather-jacket wearing ninja look that is so championed on SZ.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"][quote user="Chinorlz"]

These guys fawn over the terrible crap that has been put out in the last couple of years from DH (subjective.. I totally understand) and pretty much embody the complete look and attitude that is both boring and beyond homogenous now.

[/quote]

Some people would say the same thing about the dark post-goth/ leather-jacket wearing ninja look that is so championed on SZ.

[/quote]

You'd have to substitute "I only wear Dior Homme" to "I only wear brands carried at Atelier" though. My take on it is that, as a rule, the SZ poster is more mature and set in his taste and following that, hopefully less prone to fawning over the entire buy of the place/the whole of a designer's offering, without leaving any space for his own vision and idiosyncrasies to manifest in his style. Threads like the RO sneakers one show that the forum does indeed create hype that definitely influence the actual buys of some people, but on the other hand I'm not sure the same snowball effect could start with something that doesn't fit the dominant aesthetic that brought people here in the first place.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]

bstitute "I only wear Dior Homme" to "I only wear brands carried at Atelier" though. My take on it is that, as a rule, the SZ poster is more mature and set in his taste and following that, hopefully less prone to fawning over the entire buy of the place/the whole of a designer's offering, without leaving any space for his own vision and idiosyncrasies to manifest in his style. Threads like the RO sneakers one show that the forum does indeed create hype that definitely influence the actual buys of some people, but on the other hand I'm not sure the same snowball effect could start with something that doesn't fit the dominant aesthetic that brought people here in the first place.

[/quote]

I don't disagree with you, Fuuma. My point really has nothing to do with hype. I just think it's ironic to attack a look for being homogeneous and played out from the standpoint that SZ style is somehow more "progressive." Perhaps I am misunderstanding what Albert is saying, but I'm not sure what's to be gained from being so judgmental about someone else's style and the reasons for it...another pat on the back for SZ? [72]

Albert, you know I mean no offense...you are always a very good sport in these discussions.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

It's all good Laika! :)

Fuuma makes good points too. SZ has clearly become a place that has both brought like minded/like-styled people together while at the same time influencing where their $$ goes. Faust mentioned it a long time ago about how if it wasn't for members like Minomni,Team Jurius probably wouldn't be as big as it is now. In a sense, DBSS is the same way as it's barely known outside of Japan.

The difference that I see between the general populous on the DH msn forum versus here is that although the goth-ninja look is much championed here ([79] we even have a smiley for it hahaha!) it's not an aesthetic that has filtered own and embraced by everyone 18-35 at Your Local Club in the way that DH has. One trip through my brother'sWilliamsburg neighborhood inBrooklyn and it becomes clear. At this point, hipster = DH.At the same time, I think only a handful of members here actually rock that look on the regular. SZ brings in a myriad of people with strongly distinctive looks even though the perception is CCPoverlock/fencing-leather gloves-black slim pants-tucked-into-boots (man... do I love that look though hehehe).

Of course it's a bit "apples vs oranges" since the MSN forum IS a Dior Homme forum but in general I feel like they lack a level of actual artistic appreciation for the line and "diorbeast" to use Mass' word (which I really like btw) just because. When people are looking for truly heinous pieces ("under my car" jeans, the slim leather suspenders, and even the DISGUSTING clear acrylic bracelet!!! Seriously!!), them saying they miss Hedi over KVA just rings hollow to me you know?

I should thank the original poster. i've not been spurred on to write this much in a while :)

Comment

• justine
                            • Jan 2007

[quote user="Fuuma"][quote user="laika"]Some people would say the same thing about the dark post-goth/ leather-jacket wearing ninja look that is so championed on SZ. [/quote]You'd have to substitute "I only wear Dior Homme" to "I only wear brands carried at Atelier" though.[/quote]

Oh, come on. The brands talked about in the forum (or even carried at Atelier for that matter) are more interesting and go _well beyond_ the so called 'ninja look'... it's just too easy to say this. Let me know if you need examples.

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

justine, i realize that. I was just using the popular shorthand for the various incarnations of the dark and rather somber aesthetic that is favored here.

Comment

• voltaire's anti-defamation league
                                • Aug 2007

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

It's all good Laika! :)

Fuuma makes good points too. SZ has clearly become a place that has both brought like minded/like-styled people together while at the same time influencing where their $$ goes. Faust mentioned it a long time ago about how if it wasn't for members like Minomni,Team Jurius probably wouldn't be as big as it is now. In a sense, DBSS is the same way as it's barely known outside of Japan.

The difference that I see between the general populous on the DH msn forum versus here is that although the goth-ninja look is much championed here ([79] we even have a smiley for it hahaha!) it's not an aesthetic that has filtered own and embraced by everyone 18-35 at Your Local Club in the way that DH has. One trip through my brother'sWilliamsburg neighborhood inBrooklyn and it becomes clear. At this point, hipster = DH.At the same time, I think only a handful of members here actually rock that look on the regular. SZ brings in a myriad of people with strongly distinctive looks even though the perception is CCPoverlock/fencing-leather gloves-black slim pants-tucked-into-boots (man... do I love that look though hehehe).

Of course it's a bit "apples vs oranges" since the MSN forum IS a Dior Homme forum but in general I feel like they lack a level of actual artistic appreciation for the line and "diorbeast" to use Mass' word (which I really like btw) just because. When people are looking for truly heinous pieces ("under my car" jeans, the slim leather suspenders, and even the DISGUSTING clear acrylic bracelet!!! Seriously!!), them saying they miss Hedi over KVA just rings hollow to me you know?

I should thank the original poster. i've not been spurred on to write this much in a while :)

[/quote]

aha 16 year old hipster girls still always approach me and say stuff like 'are you a dior homme model.' (cause i weigh like 80 pounds and have long hair.) even though im usually wearing like head to toe ann or something and the ann models look/are the same. so yeah i think thats the difference between the two...even though im wearing head to toe ann 16 year old hipster girls will think i look like a dior homme model.

geez i havent been to the forum in ages r people really still trying to hunt down 'a boy about town' t's??? nothin wrong wit i guess but im suprised.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎