X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liberation1945
    • Jun 2007

Re: dior sneakers

very good point, and exactly what i mean when i say that it can go both ways. sure, it's easier to justify that your reasons for being into a certain brand is "legit" because it costs a lot, anybody with money can be into whatever the fuck they choose to be into. at the end of the day, if you're wearing a ccp jacket, but you look uncomfortable, it doesn't matter how much you spent if you're next to the dior-beast with tons more swag(this goes both ways too, of course).

Comment

• matthewhk
      • Jan 2007

oh yeah i would def. agree with you there...beasting for the sake of beasting is never good no matter what brands are being drooled over.

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

hey is this where we discuss dior sneakers?

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"][quote user="Chinorlz"]

These guys fawn over the terrible crap that has been put out in the last couple of years from DH (subjective.. I totally understand) and pretty much embody the complete look and attitude that is both boring and beyond homogenous now.

[/quote]

Some people would say the same thing about the dark post-goth/ leather-jacket wearing ninja look that is so championed on SZ.

[/quote]

Truth. But it's good to hope for the best, no? As in - we are a bunch of mature individuals who happen to have converging tastes as opposed to those who blindly follow trends? EDIT: I see Fuuma said that already [Y]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="mike lowrey"]

hey is this where we discuss dior sneakers?

[/quote]

the sneaks aren't worth discussing, as johnny cleverly pointed out. this is much more interesting!

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]justine, i realize that. I was just using the popular shorthand for the various incarnations of the dark and rather somber aesthetic that is favored here.
              [/quote]

Laika, how can you be so reductive!!! Hahaha, sorry, I couldn't resist!!!! I love you [51]

In all seriousness, that's kind of true though, no? Look at WAYWT - there is a variety of looks presented, I think.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="matthewhk"]

well, i'm pretty receptive and open minded when it comes to differing viewpoints on how to dress...but a certain line's drawn somewhere, and indeed part of it is the construction/details, but a more important part is how the clothes fit into the wearer's natural identity before the clothes came into the picture. Someone who buys a Rick t-shirt and wears it in a way that's consistent with the rest of his approach to style as well as his lifestyle and aesthetic/artistic preferencesi would say isn't buying it for the sake of the brand. Likewise someone who buys a 10,000 yen N(N) tee with a cool statement/graphic. It's when you have people appropriating these pieces in a way that is not congruent with who they are that becomes a problem.

It's a problem often seen here in Hong Kong, and i think the continuing growth of the soulless shopping mall culture replacing REAL local hong kong flavored shops which David Tang once mentioned in a good article is contributing to that. It's all about mindless consumption without any understanding or true appreciation of what exactly it is these people are buying into. Even if someone wanted to dress like a gigolo in Dolce & Gabbana, Tom Ford and Gucci I'd have no problem with, as long as there's a certain self awareness.

[/quote]

good point, matt. [Y] except that noone looks comfortable in poell leather [86]

Liberation, what you are witnessing as popularity of the goth-ninja look is a trend. Apparently the trend setting agencies decided that black is the new black, and that's what you've been mostly seeing on the runways and in the street. This hasn't happened since late 90's-roughly01 when Helmut reigned supreme in New York. After 9/11 fashion decided that the only way to deal with serious issues is escape, so everything to insufferably bright and bubbly, with the exception of those, of course, who did black because they did black (Ann, Yohji). I hope that this trends will go on and we stay.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mass
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

As for the appreciation of the line, I think that those that saw, handled and bought the earlier collections while they were on the racks have a wholly different view of DH than those who were more than happy to buy plasticky thin brown leather jackets with quilted interiors for $4k+ that both look and felt like shit just because "when I zip it up it's so thin and tight I can't even breathe!" I get it. It's slim. That's not special anymore as of 6 or more years now.

I see these guys as buying luster/strip (and nary a mention of ANYTHING from Follow Me, Red, Reflection, Solitaire) purely for shock value/bragging rights. They've never even seen the stuff in person (they probably were still in grade school when the shit was in stores given the way they talk on that forum) and only seem to want it because everyone else does. Have you seen how people speak so reverently about bleu clairs and the strip ripped jeans? BOTH were purchase by me from the DH boutique in NY during sales time (and I'm not a special size so you know neither sold THAT well.). BOTH were available on ebay, msn, etc. for literally $275-350 and plentiful.

[/quote]

i don't find any of this to be true... would people not be able to brag more by obtaining pieces from the earlier collections? the collections pre-luster are ignored probably for the same reason a/w 06 is ignored; you said so yourself many consider luster to be a couture collection for men--although i'd never think adding hanging trinkets and lurex made something couture, i find this ideology a major reason why luster and strip are overrated. also the decline of dior homme's quality is a myth. yes the brown leather jacket from a/w 05 was shit, but every house has an off day. most of the other stuff from that season (and later ones) seemed the same to me, excluding maybe t-shirts and whatever else was outsourced.

and re: special size--aren't you a size 50? in my experience dior homme in a 50 isn't highly sought after.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="mass"][quote user="Chinorlz"]

As for the appreciation of the line, I think that those that saw, handled and bought the earlier collections while they were on the racks have a wholly different view of DH than those who were more than happy to buy plasticky thin brown leather jackets with quilted interiors for $4k+ that both look and felt like shit just because "when I zip it up it's so thin and tight I can't even breathe!" I get it. It's slim. That's not special anymore as of 6 or more years now.

I see these guys as buying luster/strip (and nary a mention of ANYTHING from Follow Me, Red, Reflection, Solitaire) purely for shock value/bragging rights. They've never even seen the stuff in person (they probably were still in grade school when the shit was in stores given the way they talk on that forum) and only seem to want it because everyone else does. Have you seen how people speak so reverently about bleu clairs and the strip ripped jeans? BOTH were purchase by me from the DH boutique in NY during sales time (and I'm not a special size so you know neither sold THAT well.). BOTH were available on ebay, msn, etc. for literally $275-350 and plentiful.

[/quote] i don't find any of this to be true... would people not be able to brag more by obtaining pieces from the earlier collections? the collections pre-luster are ignored probably for the same reason a/w 06 is ignored; you said so yourself many consider luster to be a couture collection for men--although i'd never think adding hanging trinkets and lurex made something couture, i find this ideology a major reason why luster and strip are overrated. also the decline of dior homme's quality is a myth. yes the brown leather jacket from a/w 05 was shit, but every house has an off day. most of the other stuff from that season (and later ones) seemed the same to me, excluding maybe t-shirts and whatever else was outsourced.

and re: special size--aren't you a size 50? in my experience dior homme in a 50 isn't highly sought after.[/quote]

You would think they would via that mindset but perusing old ebay auctions today. A beautiful gray suit from Red/Boys Don't Cry went for about $300. That's absolutely insane. Plenty of Reflection pieces going unnoticed too like the Griffon shirt and others.

The decline in DH quality is/was real. Both quality of construction and quality of design. Face it. Hedi got lazy near the end (or too many of his cohorts jumped ship) and it was 99.9% jeans and t-shirt with a couple coats and leather jackets thrown in. I don't see that as an off day when it's a consistent decline. If it was still good, why haven't people in general stuck with it that had purchased it even up through votc and s/s 05?

As for the special size. I'm a size 50. Size 50 sells out quite quickly because it's average size for the high end/slim clothes consumer. It's not like 42-44P which are sought after purely because it's just not produced all that much.

Luster and Strip may be overrated to some, revered by others, but that's just not what the current DH-fan populous is thinking right now. That gets down to my argument that they don't even THINK about the collection, they just want it. It almost sounds like we're now on the same side Mass. In both our cases we don't understand why people go for Luster/Strip now.

As for the same mentality of ignoring pre-Luster being the same as ignoring a/w06... I think thats a whole different ballgame. All the old schoolers bailed by/around a/w 06 because the aesthetic, the quality and the design just weren't there anymore. The current DHbeasties ignore pre Luster because... they just don't know any better and don't have a CLUE what construction, concepts and designs went into those collections. They actually WANT the jeans, crap ass tee and rehashed German Military sneakers (originals to be had in Berlin for 8 euro btw. They can't even give them away at the army surplus stores.). Your DH fan from pre VotC dressed completely differently overall than your DH fan now.

You can lose your current DH fan in a crowd at H&M/TopShop... DH went uber corporate and churned out tees/hoodies/1000 jeans combinations/100sneaker combinations instead of what they used to do (where granted there were still a number of each of these... but nowhere near as foul as it is now). They knew it too. Look at all the recent ad campaigns. Everyone is in suits. They want to sell but they don't want to cheapen their projected image yet they have nothing good to take photos of that won't make them look like Urban Outfitters so they resorted to suit and coat photos.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Johnny
                      • Sep 2006

I have to say my inclination is to go with mass on this, but that's a pretty convincing post Albert, you know what you're talking about re DH (that's not meant in a back handed way!). Totally agree on the ad campaigns versus the reality, although that is true of most big international design houses. I think VoTC changed DH for good - it was a totally different beast before that, and after it, catered to a different customer all together.There was certainly an explosion of rubbish product after that to cater for the new found popularity.

I would take issue on the quality, but not in a hugely informed way, or at least not as informed as others, and then only in relation to the suits. I saw a suit at the weekend and it looked good, and just the same feel as any Dior suit I've ever seen in the last 5 years or so. They don't strike me as great quality, but I don't think it's nosedived much.

I think DH is irrelevant now largely speaking, at least in the sense in which it was originally relevant - i.e. as something that shaped the way young mendressed. It's eaten itself now, and has ended up following topshop, which now hs more vitality.

As an aside......you might miss an expensive dark lord in All Saints these days.......

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]

I have to say my inclination is to go with mass on this, but that's a pretty convincing post Albert, you know what you're talking about re DH (that's not meant in a back handed way!). Totally agree on the ad campaigns versus the reality, although that is true of most big international design houses. I think VoTC changed DH for good - it was a totally different beast before that, and after it, catered to a different customer all together.There was certainly an explosion of rubbish product after that to cater for the new found popularity.

I would take issue on the quality, but not in a hugely informed way, or at least not as informed as others, and then only in relation to the suits. I saw a suit at the weekend and it looked good, and just the same feel as any Dior suit I've ever seen in the last 5 years or so. They don't strike me as great quality, but I don't think it's nosedived much.

I think DH is irrelevant now largely speaking, at least in the sense in which it was originally relevant - i.e. as something that shaped the way young mendressed. It's eaten itself now, and has ended up following topshop, which now hs more vitality.

As an aside......you might miss an expensive dark lord in All Saints these days.......

[/quote]

Thats the line right there Johnny :)

The suits have stayed from what I know,but for everything else it's the same look as topshop just 20x the price.

All Saints is going dark? Gonna have to take a look... it's not a brand thats sold widely here in the US!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Casius
                          • Dec 2006

The whole DH looks is a bit easier to create as well. I never, I repeat, never see someone as would be described as 'goth ninja' here in LA but I see of ton of kids wearing slim jeans, t-shirts, and DH sneakers.

Like Lib said though, if it looks good and the person wearing all DH has the confidence/swagger to pull it off, then by all means. Same thing goes for the 'goth ninja' look (shit I hate that term...).

But the funny thing is, especially seen on Sufu, when Hedi Slimane quit DH and KVA came in, what most were worried about is if the jeans were going to change. That, in itself is a look at how the brand itself has changed and how it differs from all the brands lauded here.

The original poster's question about 'what season are these sneakers from?' kind of solidifies Albert's posts though. As if to say, if these were older Dior, then they're cool, if not, then their not as cool.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Casius
                            • Dec 2006

Oh, and with the above said, I think the same thing might be happening a bit with Rick Owens. Consumers are starting to buy into the brand because it is getting more attention, but it's not the really cool outerwear pieces, drapey cardigans, and the like; It's the drkshdw jeans, see-through tees, and high top trainers that are getting the attention.

This, to me, also has to do with the wearability and availability jeans, tees, and sneakers have to 18-25 year olds. And this isn't to knock this look (it's what I wear a lot!), it's just a more convenient form of fashion that is acceptable for that age group.

Comment

• mesh
                              • Dec 2006

I do think the drapey Ts and sneaks are certainly essential components of the rick look, not like lanvin where the hitops only compromise a minute fraction of what lanvin is. Plus the fact that rick trainers are above 1k I can't say they are easily enough attainable to become played out even on sale.

Comment

• Casius
                                • Dec 2006

I don't think they're played out, I believe they're just one of the items that a consumer looks at getting before anything else Rick Owens.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎